PDA

View Full Version : Latch challenge

bverd
05-01-2000, 08:29 AM
Has anybody ever had a problem with their latch on the engine compartment? All of sudden I can't get the the engine compartment open. The latch seems to be operating properly, but something is still solidly holding the lid down. I can't get the hinges off because the nuts on the underside just spin as I try to loosen them. Any ideas? I really don't want to cut the latch and put a new one on. That may be my only option.

Thanks,
Brad

Forrest
05-01-2000, 09:56 AM
Which latch do you have? Is it the chrome plated brass knob with "Donzi" cast into the top - if it is, DO NOT CUT IT! This item is NOT obtainable anymore!!!

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 05-01-2000).]

bverd
05-01-2000, 11:25 AM
Yes, it is that latch. I don't want to cut it at all, but how can I get it open. I will try with a miror and flashlight tonight to go through the cowel vent and see what is going on. Does somebody have a photo of the latch assembly so I could try to see what could be going wrong and then I might know where to go from there?

Thanks,
Brad

Forrest
05-01-2000, 11:50 AM
Basically there is not too much to go wrong with that latch; however, there is a small compression spring that keeps every thing tight and that may become twisted up and wound in to the latch. Luckily, the knob and shaft are fairly substantial therefore you should be able to turn hard it by *hand* without damaging it. The stainless spring, roll-pin and even the cam assembly are all easily obtained, so if one of those items breaks, its no big deal. If you do break the cam, Donzi sell those for about $18. You know, the cam may have a deep notch worn in to it causing the difficulty and may need to be replaced anyway. Donzi also has the correct spring as well. So go ahead and give it hell! Put on some latex gloves for a good grip and press down hard while turning the knob *hard*. Just keep the pipe wrenches, vice grips and other tools away from that knob made of unobtainium! Good luck.

------------------
Forrest

bverd
05-01-2000, 10:59 PM
Forrest,

The latch is seems to be working. I still have to push it down and it turns without a problem and snaps up like it should when it is in the unlatched position. Is there something at the bottom of the assembly that may have come loose and is now just freely spinning keeping me from opening it.

Is there anyway I can get a photo of the assembly. I am going out tomorrow in search of a mirror that I can get down the cowel vent and look around.

Thanks for you help.
Brad

AVickers
05-02-2000, 01:31 AM
Wow,

Only thing I can think of it that the roll pin has shifted and it's binding with the (for lack of a better term) "female" end of the latch mechanism. Or, the receiver screws are loose and there's a bind at this point.

When you turn the knob 90 degrees, does it pop up? If so, I think you're binding on something besides the latch... Could it be that you have a prop-pole that's binding?

Good luck man...

[This message has been edited by avickers (edited 05-02-2000).]

Craig
05-02-2000, 11:37 AM
This happened with my hatch. Tightening the hinges fixed it. If, as you said, the hinge screws and nuts are just spinning, you may try carefully drilling them out to get the hatch off, then replacing them using a lock nuts when replacing (use stainless stuff). Mine would stick a little due to the misalignment caused by slop in the hinges (caused by the loose hinge screws), but you could still get it off with some difficulty. Good Luck.
Originally posted by bverd:
Has anybody ever had a problem with their latch on the engine compartment? All of sudden I can't get the the engine compartment open. The latch seems to be operating properly, but something is still solidly holding the lid down. I can't get the hinges off because the nuts on the underside just spin as I try to loosen them. Any ideas? I really don't want to cut the latch and put a new one on. That may be my only option.

Thanks,
Brad

bverd
05-03-2000, 07:38 AM
Well problem solved. After talking to a couple of people, thanks for you additional input George, my engine compartment lid is now open.

I was finally able to get the hinges off. This is a very difficult thing to do if you can't hold the nut on the other side. I was able to take some tinsle wire and get it around the head of the screw and while pulling the screw up to apply pressure to the nut I was able to unscrew it. With the hinges off I was able to use the 6" of space that the lid would open to see that the pin that creates a "T" at the bottom of the latch assembly had slid to one side. With a long screw driver I was able to push the pin back in and the latch came free.

Needless to say that pin will be replaced before I latch it again.
Will be back on the water this weekend.

Thanks again to all,
Brad

AVickers
05-03-2000, 01:55 PM
That pin is called a "roll pin" and you should be able to get a new one at an autoparts place...