PDA

View Full Version : VDO

RickR,GroveCity
04-30-2000, 08:22 PM
I'd like to get an VDO oil temp gauge for the 22 but I cannot get through to Rex Marine
What gives? Are they out of business?
Anyone have an outlet for VDO Marine Instruments.

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Peter Beck
05-01-2000, 07:28 AM
I need a VDO Hour gage also!
Help.

Forrest
05-01-2000, 09:51 AM
I just bought some stuff from Rex Marine a couple of weeks ago. They moved last year and changed their phone number. The suppose to be building a web site at http://www.rexmar.com, but it ain't there yet! BTW, check the price of gauges at Trenton Marine in NJ (http://www.trentonmarine.com/). They blow away CP Performance and others on Gaffrig prices. In fact, I can buy Gaffrig gauges from Trenton Marine except for the tach for less than Teleflex gauges at West Marine. Trenton may have VDO.

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 05-01-2000).]

RickR,GroveCity
05-01-2000, 04:24 PM
Forrest
Connection was refused to Trenton Marine
Do you have the new phone # for Rex

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Forrest
05-01-2000, 05:15 PM
Rex Marine Corporation (http://www.rexmar.com)
1721 Wright Ave.
La Verne, CA 91750

Phone: (909) 392-7300

------------------
Forrest

Donzi Dave
05-01-2000, 07:21 PM
My '86 18 has the VDO Blueline guages with the square bezels. Way back in 1991 after a day of "filling up my fun meter", I slipped and rammed my knee into the lens of the speedo and cracked it. I ordered a new one directly from VDO. Pulled out my receipt to post the address and telephone. Keep in mind this is 9 year old information so it may be bogus - but what the hell - give it a try.

VDO YAZAKI
P.O. Box 2898 or 980 Brooke Rd.
Winchester, VA 22601
Phone: 703.665.0100

Dave

chris
05-02-2000, 08:43 PM
good info, I replaced mine after i baught the 18. VDO people are great. Now i want to replace the black plastic backing that the meters are on, any suggestions?
how about black plexi? what do guys and gals use?
thanks,
Christian

Forrest
05-03-2000, 10:26 AM
Black acrylic works well and looks great too! Just be careful not to break it while working when cutting your holes. The were a number of posts on this subject a year or so ago. Some suggestions were to put your fine-tooth saw blade in backwards. Another was to use progressively larger pilot holes since drill bits tend to catch the material and cam in. This procedure is especially necessary when using a hole saw. If the 1/4" hole-saw pilot bit catches the material and cams in, it will cause the hole-saw blade to slam into the material with great force.

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 05-03-2000).]

AVickers
05-03-2000, 02:16 PM
You can regrind your drill bits to have more rake and less relief (even to the point of barely having a negative relief). This will keep it from grabbing and digging into the material and jerking through too fast. The wedging action when the bit grabbs and pulls is when the plastic breaks...

The same bit profile (with just a little bit of relief) is also good for drilling brass.

chris
05-03-2000, 09:22 PM
Thanks Forrest et all. I really enjoy what you guys and gals have to write. Well i have thought of another idea. the black plastic can be done easy plus if i do this i might want to go the OEM route (i know it's prob. hard to get) BUT-what about replacing it with a rare $1500 80s option- padded. what do you think? rolled and pleated dash? any thoughts? questions i have what type of seal does this make when placed up to the deck? I don't want any h20 behind my VDOs. red rolled and pleated would look sharp, now I would like to know what you think?
college is almost over and I need to start on the 18 soon!
Thanks and stay well
Regards,
Christian
RBRCorp.

Forrest
05-04-2000, 07:57 AM
... padded dash like that in a Hornet II?