PDA

View Full Version : Trailer for X-18

GeneS
04-30-2000, 07:31 PM
Can someone tell me the correct spacing of the bunks for a float-on type trailer for an X-18?

------------------
Gene Schmidt
'74 X-18 "Chi Chi"

Forrest
05-01-2000, 09:29 AM
Gene, it's the same for any 18 Donzi. When you set your trailer up, adjust the bunks so that the boat is not supported by the lifting strakes, and that the keel is as low and level as possible on the trailer.

------------------
Forrest

GeneS
05-01-2000, 10:21 AM
The lifting strakes are the only part of the bottom that is horizontal. I would think that this would be a pretty well-reinforced area. If the bunks do not support at the strakes then where?

There is one set of inboard lifting strakes and one set of outboard strakes. Should the bunks be set between these? If I go too far out, the bottom of the transome sits on the trailer cross-members?

Maybe if someone has a picture of a correctly adjusted trailer they could post it for reference.

Thanks,

------------------
Gene Schmidt
'74 X-18 "Chi Chi"

Hotboat
05-01-2000, 11:51 AM
Gene, bunks should be positioned under the stringers if possible. This is where the bulk of the weight is distributed. Also keeps the hull from distorting.

------------------
Hotboat

Forrest
05-01-2000, 12:14 PM
Yes, the lifting strakes are in a very well reinforced area, and the original Donzi Rocket trailers had supports under the lifting strakes; however, most of the weight was on the keel rollers. The trouble with supporting your boat by the lifting strakes is that they are only an inch-and-a-half wide. That puts a lot of load on a small area. Usually, a drive-on type bunk trailer will have a rather wide set of bunks that are made to go between the lifting strakes. This way the load is spread over the wider bunk and there is less force per unit area. The same idea is behing the EZ-Loader type trailer, you know, the trailer with all those rollers everywhere. An EZ-Loader trailer for 18' boat will have anywhere from 22 to 26 rollers to support the hull. The idea is that no one roller has any more than about 80 to 100 pound of downward pressure acting on it.

I bet RickR has a good picture of of his 18 properly sitting on that fancy Rolls trailer. I could post a picture of my X-18 on it's bunk trailer, but the trailer I have under it ain't nothing to be proud of. Its just an old galvanized econo bunk trailer, but it does the job for now. Well, I maybe I'll post a pic anyway.

------------------
Forrest