PDA

View Full Version : Donzi for LBI(HELP!!!!)

chucknoonan
03-18-2003, 08:48 PM
HELP, I need a Donzi for LBI!
OK, I'll slow down. My name is Chuck, (obviously), I'm 36, and I'm obsessed with having a Donzi. I rent a house in LBI for the summer every year, and I love boats, and I think its time I bought a Donzi. I have never owned a boat before, and I thought A 22( Classic or ZX), would be a great first boat. I want to get something used, preferably in the 20 grand price range. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
By the way, I'm going down to Tom's River tomorrow, and I'll probably stop by Typhoon and say Hi to Frank. I see they have a 95 or 96 22 Classic. Could be me!
Also, I've been a member of DonziNet for 6 or 8 months, and it seems like you all are a pretty good bunch of guys; one of the main reasons I really want a Donzi. (A little ass kissin' never hurts, right?!)

knee deep
03-18-2003, 09:58 PM
We're really not those kind of guys, LOL!

BigGrizzly
03-18-2003, 10:13 PM
Chuck, Frank has spent most of his life at the Jersey shore. He will steer you in the right direction. I spent all my summers in Point Pleasant untill 1982. We had a 16 Donzi that we bough in 1966(my sister still has it)and ran it in both the bay and in the ocean and loved it. I now have an 18 Corsican and a 22 Criterion, both of which I love also. My son has a 22ZX which he loves also. We both argue which is better his 22 or mine so far it is a dead heat. I like mine better and he likes his better.

Fish boy
03-19-2003, 07:58 AM
Hi Chuck,
welcome to the boards. Obviously I (as well as almost everyone else on the registry) think you are making a great decision to buy a donzi and also be more active on the Donzi Registry.

The 22classic is a GREAT boat! Runs well in rough or calm weather. 18 is also a really fun boat, however, if you are going to be getting into some waves, perhaps the 22 is a better choice. Also, althought I might ruffle a few feathers my PERSONAL preference would be to get a 22 with mercruiser rather than OMC power. Again, personal preference.

You definately will not regret your purchase (other than waiting this long to do it). Good luck in whatever you buy.

Fish

Barry Phillips
03-19-2003, 10:14 AM
Hi Chucknoonan, welcome. The 18 and 22 Classics are the way to go if you want lots of attention and the ZX has more space so only you know your needs. Although Frank will disagree, I am not a big fan of step bottoms, I rather have a deep vee. Although they need more power to attain high speeds they work really well in the rough stuff. As you can now tell I am not a big fan of non Classic Donzis, I do not think the factory has come up with anything that matches the Classic for purity of design or style. Although the the ZX line are great boats, there are a lot of great performance boats on the market. So the choice is yours, if your want people young and old say cool boat or is Italian any Classic is your clear choice. If you check out boat trader online there are more ZXs and Daytonas for sale than 22 Classics although there are some nice 18s available. The 18s feel faster than they are, although 65 to 70 mph is nothing to sneeze at, and can turn on a dime. The 22s are 4.5 feet longer and the benefits are clear. 70mph would seem a little tamer, but both are a blast, you will be stylin in either.

SO-SLO

Ranman
03-19-2003, 10:34 AM
"You can do in Noonan!" :D :D

"Check me if I'm wrong, Sandy, but if we kill all the golfers, they'll lock us up and throw away the key!"

Shanghied Again
03-19-2003, 08:43 PM
Chuck, Great meeting you today, Like I said as soon as I get the 22 Classic and the ZX in I will let you know. Barry I love both boats I have owned both Classics and ZXs each are a personal choice. If you run Poker runs and rougher water a deeper hull boat is better
LBI NJ is definetly a rough water boat area. Step bottoms give you a little edge on speed and a softer ride. The deep V classic design cuts like a knife. I own a 16 Classic and a 26ZX for poker runs.

chucknoonan
03-21-2003, 08:59 PM
Just wanted to thank you all for your responses to my post.
I especially want to thank Frank for taking the time to show me around Typhoon and talking to me about my options. You are a true gentleman. I can't wait to see your old 22!

Hope to get in the water this summer!
Chuck

fasttrucker
03-21-2003, 09:12 PM
Barry you need to ride in my 28zx.Small boats are fun but my boat handles the ruff stuff.I was out in catch-22 donzi down in fl.It was a nice boat, but a different class of boat its hard to compare the two,like apples+oranges.The stepped hulls are the future of boating,yet we dont want to forget our past.

SS18
03-22-2003, 06:00 AM
Hey chuck,
I live on LBI and have a perfect 18 classic with a trailer for sale it's listed here under 88 18 classic.May also want to sell the minx hull W/trailer.Let me know if you want to look closer.
I bought the boat hear and it would be cool to see it out on our bay!

RPD
03-22-2003, 09:50 AM
What is "LBI"??? Where is it?

Robert Geoghegan
03-22-2003, 10:07 AM
Long Beach Island-NJ