PDA

View Full Version : Puzzling outdrive issue???

bverd
04-29-2000, 07:47 PM
It was a beautiful day here in Northern Virginia and I was finally able to get the X18 out on the water. Everything was great except when I pulled it out of the water I have a the dreaded milky white oil around the bellows of the OD(280T). So after thorough investigation of the bellows, which is intact without any cracks(that I could find), the engine oil is crystal clean, and the OD oil is perfect as well. I don't know where to go or where to look. The powertrim lines show no wear or leaks. Help!!!

FYI... no power steering, it is the old work out your arm method.

Thanks,
Brad

AVickers
04-29-2000, 09:08 PM
How did you notice that there was a dreaded milky white cloud? Was it oozing out around the bellows? If so, there's where the water was getting in as well. And this water, along with the oil residue that lives there anyway (off the u-joints if nothing else), is what makes for your milkshake. Your Chevy-powered u-joint yokes are better than a Hamilton-Beach Blender when it comes to mixing things up in there...

Anyway, if the oil's good on either end, then you don't have too much to worry about.

Oil's probably getting in there via the seal on the drive input shaft or the O-ring that fits between the seal ring and the gear face in the same area. Or the O-ring around the input bearing housing. It'll weep a bit with almost anything you do...

Water's probably getting in through a pinhole in the bellows or around some corrosion on the aluminum flanges on either end. Are you sure the clamps are good and tight?

Anyway, the upper gear housing is quiet easy to remove from these rigs and you can then pull the bellows for a really good look at it. You can also check to see if there's some buildup on the flange that the bellows attaches to...

While you have it apart, I'd check the u-joints. The foamy water may have dissolved the grease in them...

Good luck!

CDMA
04-29-2000, 09:19 PM
Replace the bellows. Even if they look good at the first sign of problems or even every five years or so I think it is worth it to change.

Chris

RichF
04-29-2000, 10:10 PM
I agree with Chris!

------------------
Rich mailto:fngrht@aol.comfngrht@aol.com</A>

http://www.corvetteforum.net/classics/richf/d.jpg

[This message has been edited by RichF (edited 04-29-2000).]

GeneD
05-05-2000, 10:28 AM
Hey Brad, that is one fine looking X-18 you got there. I love the color scheme!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida