PDA

View Full Version : one stupid question

DUCATIF1
03-18-2003, 12:45 PM
Ok I know some of my earlier posts have asked some pretty basic questions but this will probably top them. I see pics of boats that are driven up 1/4 to 1/2 the way onto a beach or sand. Ok; doesn't the boat get stuck in such shallow water?? Doesn't it suck in the sand? Just curious. By the way I have bought another old race car so the Donzi will be put off untill atleast the end of the season. I feel I am just too uninformed when it comes to boating. I am taking a class and will spend summer begging for rides to become familair with boating scene. Thnaks for all your help. Brian

HyperDonzi
03-18-2003, 02:48 PM
If they are floated up onto the sand, no damage will occur. It is hard to get it back in the water, lots of pushing, one thing you should check after this is your plug, not that we know from experience that it will sink or anything of that sort.

Formula Jr
03-18-2003, 03:01 PM
Depends on a few things while beaching.
A. the drop off of the beach - If its a very shallow approach, you won't see boats very far out of the water. But if there is a drop off, where the drive can get some bite to pull you back off, you'll see boats beached fairly high on the sand.

B. Knowing what your tides are doing. If the tide is coming in when you beach, you can hit the sand pretty hard and in an hour or so, the tide will pick it back up. But if you beach on a shallow approach with and ebb tide you'll see boats tyed off further from shore.

C. When People exit the boat, the bow typically will float lower in the water. You've changed the weight distribution. Once everyone is back on board the bow floats higher and its easy to shove off. I have gotten stuck before. Ususally happens on a shallow approach where the bottom of the transom has dug into the sand. Sometimes the only way to extract the boat, is to spin it around and use wave action to slowly float it back to deeper water. 16's and 18's are pretty easy to push around on wet sand. There were some folks, I watched beach at Doe Bay in the San Juans a few years ago. I knew the tide going out, so, I told them they probably didn't want to beach. They said they were only going to stay alittle while. I even volunteerred my inflatable raft so they could tye-off to a tending buoy. They were pretty insistent that they didn't need help. It makes no sense to aurgue with strangers. But when they came back 20 minutes later, not only was the boat "on the hard," but there wasn't even an inlet anymore. Knowing the tide is sometimes as important as knowing the weather. :)

<small>[ March 18, 2003, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Formula Jr ]</small>

Barry Phillips
03-18-2003, 04:40 PM
I never beach my 18. I use a bow and stern line, and point the bow out. As far as I'm concerned sand is the main ingredient in sandpaper and fiberglass and sand don't mix.

SO-SLO

Surfer
03-19-2003, 07:58 AM
Just don't run your lower unit into the beach, nasty sand gets into everything, approach beach, give a little gas, and turn off engine so you don't suck!

Forrest
03-19-2003, 10:00 AM
. . . And if you do beach it, and you happen to beach it at high tide, just remember, the tide drops much faster than you think. Donzis with a V-8, outdrive, and a 24-degree bottom can be very difficult to move to deeper water when stuck in the shallows - especially after you have been drinking.