PDA

View Full Version : THINGS I LEARNED AT AOTH II

Crazy Horse
05-15-2002, 10:19 AM
THINGS I LEARNED AT AOTH II

1. Call ahead for hotel reservations at your half way point. We tried 4 hotels and all were full so we ended up in a Burger King parking lot for a few hour nap with 4 Donzi’s and tow vehicles. Donzi Trish made the remark ‘a quarter of a million dollars worth of vehicles & boats and we’re sleeping at Burger King’.

2. In the Burger King parking lot, the flashing lights on the back of Woodsy’s boat were not of Woodsy’s doing but turned on by the knee of one frisky Crazy Horse getting reacquainted with his wife.

3. Mustang Susie drives a Ford truck & trailer like a racecar driver (and she gets my utmost respect).

4. DO NOT ride in a boat with Pony Boy (aka Waleye) if you are afraid that the bouncing around will make your beer go flat...or better yet... Note: Bruised lips, arms, and one scared Harbormaster with white knuckles will occur.

5. NEVER play quarters with Heather and expect to win. Is it my turn to drink again? But man is she pretty!

6. The Lake Winni group can survive in a dry county.

7. Do not tie up to Scott Pierson at a rafting party when Pony Boy is around. By the way Scott what is the assessment of the damage?

8. (Like I unfortunately did) do not sit behind the red haired woman flashing from her 26ZX at a rafting party, as it is a very difficult photograph to obtain.

9. Have lots of 'Donzi Girl' film: Donzi Jenn, Amy, Liz, Heather, Mustang, Kathy (awesome at 2 months prego), Jenn (26ZX-BUT remember, don’t sit behind her), Kathy (long blonde hair), Donzi Trish, etc…

10. The Harbormaster is a wiiiiiild man.

11. Mustang Susie has a very weak bladder. Oh yeah I forgot she was just 'checking out the out drive'.

12. Don’t raise the bid by $100 dollars for a poster you do not really want cuz no one will bid against you.

13. Logs make for perfect obstacle course driving.

14. Do not lead other boats down the lake when you do not have a clue where you are going (sorry Ranman, Woodsy, Pony Boy).

15. Princess & Woodsy are great housemates. Woodsy sorry about banging your head into the wall with the toilet paper dispenser.

16. Allow 1 and a half hours for 4 burgers to be cooked at the marina stop. Upside of this was that Dr. Dan and Liz are wonderful company.

17. Do not stand close to Amy when she is drinking a frozen drink because you will spill it on her. 'Can I help you get that drink off your dress?!! wink

18. Always encourage the kids sitting on the shore to yell whooping calls to Mustang Susie. She takes the bait like a feeding shark.

19. Amy had the best 'Donzi' pedicure.

20. If you are going to climb up the falls have proper footwear (see Geoo).

21. The Donzi Girls look great in upside down Donzi tattoos.

22. Insist that other Registry members make the trip cuz it is worth it, a great time.

Tidbart
05-16-2002, 06:22 AM
Hey John,
What happened to the hotel? I thought you had reservations months ago.
Bob

Digger
05-16-2002, 07:57 AM
great post John, it got me thinking...here's a couple things I learned.

1. pontoon boats are fun to drive (thx Bandit :D )
2. if you sleep on the boat don't leave the motrin in the hotel room
3. Presidential helicopter squadron coins are a hell of a lot more valuable than I thought
4. Coors light is damn good beer
5. Install a FLIR in the boat for future log avoidance
6. launching a 33 with a 2 whl drive dually on a 45 degree freshly asphalted slope is hard to do
7. Coors light is a really good beer
8. Ranman is a lucky man indeed. I would be happy to provide a support leg to Donzi Jenn any day wink
9. Tom is an excellent driver...an excellent driver
10. Having a helicopter take pics of your boat is way cool
11. Wa-Lo's motor makes one of the greatest sounds I have ever heard in my life
12. The Winni bandits are not boring people
13. Never tell Bandit that you are not afraid of a bottle of whisky
14. I now know where Plainview TX is
15. Houseboats: not just for Spring break and old people
16. Coors Light: it's not just for breakfast anymore
17. Bloody Marys are good for you
18. Bryan T and Nancy make excellent road partners.
19. The boats were great, fantastic even, but the best thing about AOTH II was meeting the people.

Ranman
05-16-2002, 08:41 AM
RAINMAN’S LIST

1) Woodsy’s name was actually given to him while being raised by a pack of raccoons during his younger years.

2) Horseman likes to sneak into pictures when he’s not sneaking pictures of the Donzi Girls.

3) CDMA, despite constantly rambling on about differential calculus and quantum physics, is really just another beer drinking college student.

4) Stevie (Waleye) has single handedly created his own language that only he speaks. Upon analysis, this hybrid seems to be a mix of Portuguese and Rastafarian. I’m still trying to figure out what a “bullhampsta” is and where you would hang one.

5) I can ACTUALLY eat $20.00 worth of hot dogs and hamburgers in one sitting. (I think Woodsy has mastered this also.)

6) Having your truck painted to match your Donzi means you are a complete, full-blown addict and if your friends really loved you, they would intervene.

7) Earplugs are a necessity while within 100ft of “WA-LO”.

8) Mustang Susie taught us that apple juice is a delightful morning treat.

9) I really need a 22 Classic.

10) In a previous life the “Harbormaster” was known as the “Masterhacker”.

11) Keeping up with the Winni Bandits (on water or on land) is no small task….BUT IT CAN BE DONE!!!

12) AOTH II was by far the best fun I’ve had in a long time! Hope to see you all next year.

Nick Cambron
05-16-2002, 12:23 PM
Things Learned From the Slower Side at AOTH II

1. Two houseboats are not necessarily faster than one.

2. Just because a 30' Black Widow is being towed doesn't mean it's broke down.

3. Governor Pulleys ARE NECESSARY for the correct operation of a generator.

4. 208 Volts will pop EVERY capacitor on a houseboat.

5. You can bring a pontoon to a Donzi gathering as long as it has a Honda outboard on it.

6. Digger parallel parks FREEDOM II better than most people park cars.

7. If you are going to take your houseboat to a Donzi raft-up at the Falls, leave 2 hours early.

8. Don't take your houseboat to the falls if the water is so high that no bare bank is showing.

9. Bandit has never been known to be without refreshment, but I think a keg may throw the balance off in a 30' Black Widow.

10. Bandit Sr. can spot a shot glass from a mile away.

11. The worst thing about a grounded whirlybird pilot is the adverse effect on your bourbon supply.

12. Damn, that 33ZX is loud in a covered slip with a metal roof at 7:00 AM.

13. A true boater is happy with even a really slow pontoon.

14. Three houseboats are definitely slower than two.

15. If you think Bandit can drive a Donzi, you should see him dodge logs behind the wheel of a 44'-wide flotilla of houseboats!!

16. Whether you break a drive at 80 MPH or at 4.5 MPH, you still hear the same sound: "Well SH*T"

and Finally,

17. AOTH II was a great event with even greater people. See you all next year.
eek!

Mustang Susie
05-16-2002, 06:19 PM
Didn't have much time to play on the computer today after being away from the office for a week (it took two hours just to find my desk) but I did pop into a few posts, and I have to say that I was laughing so hard that my co-workers thought I had really lost my mind in Kentucky. (well Yaaaah) You guys are killing me :D
Glad to see that everyone learned something at AOTHII
I learned that donzi owners make very good friends
(and apple juice is a very nice morning treat) eek! eek!

Ms. Mustang

Woodsy
05-16-2002, 08:10 PM
the Princess and I also learned a few things....

1. CrazyHorse has to relocate the hazard switch on his BMW.

2. Even though you import enough beer & liquor into a dry county to violate every law in the state of KY, if you are hanging with the Winni bandits you can still run out.

3. Every hour is cocktail hour when hanging with the Winni Bandits.

4. You don't have to belong to Local 6969 if you want to lay pipe, but PonyBoy is going to ask for your union card.

5. T-Bone needs to get a bigger gas tank.

6. Miracles do happen. Thanks to Unlimited Marine for getting PonyBoy & his BlackHawk on the water. Thanks to our fearless leader George Culotta for forgetting a bag full of wine & beer, just as we ran out of booze.

7. Never follow a CrazyHorse... ever! Unless T-Cup (Trish) is navigating.

8. Pay attention to the briefings, it avoids embarassment at the marina later when people realize how stoopid you must have been to drive right past 40 Donzi's at Conley Bottom.

9. Lumber in the water really helps you realize how well your Donzi handles.

10. A rough day on Lake Cumberland is a calm day on Winni.

11. CDMA should not be allowed to drink more than one type of liquor... he was last seen staggering to his room chugging a bottle of White Zinfandel.

12. Scott Pearson should only be allowed to bid on two items per event/auction, however, heckling Mike Miller should be encouraged and rewarded.

13. Mike Miller claims he can drive a boat, however, whenever he is driving a boat smaller than 28 feet, it seems to try to launch vertically like the space shuttle. (trim tabs... they are not there just for looks!)

14. Heather can be an honorary Winni Bandit just for her skill at quarters...

15. Geoo's daughter Hailey is far prettier than her dad's boat is fast. (that was Princess)

16. Instead of being envious of one boat Scott Pearson's Orange Crush 18, I am now going to have to add the Weaver's Green Hornet to that list... and WA-LO's Hornet... and PonyBoys X-18 and...

17. Harbormasters can fly, just ask him about the ride in PonyBoy's X-18.

18. Mustangs cannot fly, they are delicate and get bruised easily. Mustangs do not do well with fat lips.

19. Mustang gets attention from the weirdest people... and she likes it!

20. Sunscreen has an expiration date. How come all of the Mom's knew this? and I didn't?

21. The guys who own Donzi's are AWESOME!! Dr. Dan, Ranman, Digger, Cliff, Scott, Greg, John, Geoo, Dick, Bolts, Chris (Razorback), Jamie, Brad, Chris (CDMA), Scott (haaabahmastah) etc.. can't wait to hang with you guys again... hopefully up on Winni!!

and finally...

22. DONZI GIRLS RULE! Princess, Donzi Jenn, T-cup, Mustang, JuneBug, Heather & Hailey, Cindy, Kathy P., Diana, Kim, Kathy (congrats on the "to be announced"), Amy, Liz, Beth, etc... Thanks for putting up with us! You gals are the best!

Thanks to Scott & Beth thanks for a GREAT party!

Woodsy & Princess :D :D

Crazy Horse
05-16-2002, 10:43 PM
Tidbit,
I was talking about the hotel at the half way point enroute to the big party. Ranya & your room went unused. We missed you. Hope you are well.

Horseman

Donzigo
05-18-2002, 09:43 AM
........Crazy Horse, this is one of the best posts. I can't stop laughing.

Saw the Beach Boys in St. Pete. last night, sixth row. Great show.

Richard

Dalelama
05-18-2002, 01:32 PM
Beach Boys are great...

But tomarrow night, I have tix for DICK DALE!
"King of the Surf Guitar"... and he WILL sign my Strat for me!!!! :) :) :)

Still freezing in the "Land of Northern Agression"!

harbormaster
05-18-2002, 03:00 PM
Hey Dale,

We were waiting for your fly by and air show. That would have capped off the event.

Dalelama
05-18-2002, 03:54 PM
Tejas Scott,

I had the first day off in 3 weeks... and was all ready for the 3hr. flight... then checked the weather.... unfortunatley my plane doesn't perform very well in the level 5 thunderstorms that were between Maryland & Kentucky...

NEXT year.. for sure!

Trying to make arrangements for a trip up to Lake Winni in a few weeks... after the Pennsylvania Cham,pionships...

Still freezin' my ass off in the Land of Northern Agression!

Now in Pasadena, MD.

Crazy Horse
05-18-2002, 08:32 PM
Dale & Richard, this week's rock n' roll for me is Wed night Pete Yorn and Saturday night Steve Wynn & the Miracle 3. My hunch is that Yorn will be a superstar one day (Tom Petty, Springsteen vain) and Wynn is a cult artist a la Patty Smith, Lou Reed...

We had a blast at AOTH. Missed you both.

Crazy Horse

EricG
05-20-2002, 10:53 AM
Since this is sort of digressing into a Musical Post.....

Saturday night I saw THE VENTURES at the EMP. I have seen them once before, but they just blow me away! As an huge Surf Rock fan, you just cannot beat them....by far the tightest rock group I have ever seen. Something wild about guys who are as old as my Grandparents rocking like that.....They recorded the show for a live album, I can't wait.

Oh yeah - while not at AOTH, I learned not to miss AOTH!!

EG

Mustang Susie
05-20-2002, 03:36 PM
well you guys said it all. i guess we have learnd alot and thanks for a very very good time.

Bandit
05-23-2002, 04:45 PM
Some things I learned and other I could never figure out :rolleyes:

* Hat's off to Big Griz's 8 motorbike championships!!! I promise Griz that I'll be on time for something next yr and your were right, my mom said I was born late. eek!

* Camera needs to be in the hand and ready to use when waleyetwo flies by with that rooster tail, and when he goes under the falls and when he...

* Don't let Nick fool you because he really is fast. You should have seen him move when his wife Dawn said "We have a fire on the boat"!!!

* Digger can drive a pontoon almost as good as Freedom II (still needs a few lessons :D ). He took ScottB's advise and backed in the covered slip and those 502's were a great wake up call!

* Talking about ScottB., he can get his hands on some great looking personalized tie ropes. Thanks Scott.

* Was it true that Peter Beck and Roadtrip never got to run them after Roadtrip was sure he could take him this year? Also, Roadtrip REALLY like Kentucky, almost as much as me.

* Don't let Bryan T. check to see if his keg is empty when he's been up late and on the road for hrs. Wait a couple days and check it yourself and there might be a 1/3 left!!!

* Dry county??? Where did all those blue cups go at 76 Falls???

* Tomahawk is just as pleasant the first day you shake his hand as the last day and this cat should have been in the movies because he's cool, calm and collective.

* That rumble at the end of the Donzi radio show was actually Byron S' American Offshore. We'll let him get by with it since he had his nice Donzi parked in front of the AO.

* I need to wear a name tag when around Mike Miller because he keeps thinking I'm the David with "Vagrant with Twins". By the way, what happened to that guy this year and his beautiful z29?

* It's obviously no secrete, GEOO's boat is a rocket on water. I'm just glad I got a chance to see him shooting for the stars off the port side of the houseboat. Also, that shuttle monitors ch 68.

* Don't tell anybody, but the Habormaster is really Santa. Did you see all those kids eyes light up when he was passing around all those goodies he bought at auction, which by the way, were handmade by some elves better known as Dr. Dan and Liz. But does Santa really live in TX??? :confused:

Everybody have a safe M-Day Weekend. wink

MikeMiller
05-24-2002, 06:40 AM
Ya know, I'm getting a bit offended by all the talk about riding in an 18 with Mike Miller. Do all of you think that I have no idea how to run a boat??!!

After 8 years with Donzi there are a few things I know:

you can't get silly string out of your clothes or off of your skin for a few days;

drink whatever Brad Verd hands you (because its all good);

and as George Culotta taught me - never let up!

Anyway, cut me some slack here people. I do my best - ya know I'm not just another pretty face!

Mustang Susie
05-24-2002, 08:57 AM
Hey (not just another pretty face) Mike,
I have a TON of confidence in your driving abilities. (maybe more now than I have in Ponyboy's eek! )
You can take a blast in the x-18 at the Winni poker run, and earn back all of the respect that you deserve. wink

Mustang

MikeMiller
05-24-2002, 12:02 PM
That's my girl!!!!

Happy Birthday by the way!

Mustang Susie
05-24-2002, 01:06 PM
Oh good lord...
Don't tell me i'm gonna get another non-birthday present. :confused:

Mustang

Crazy Horse
05-25-2002, 10:00 AM
Mike- My boat is yours to use/drive any time you want...JT

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
05-25-2002, 12:08 PM
This sure has been a funny thread :)
I learned a few things myself...

- If your going to go the back way to the ramp make sure the guy behind you has 4WD. (Digger) but he had a plan that worked regardless!
- Check your emergency brake before leaving home!
- When you write checks in KY they are never cashed!
- Turn your head when the only drinking Donzi minor gets in a cooler and beware of his gossip on the Donzi Net! (CDMA)
- When drunk, it takes 15 minutes to idle a F250 Diesel from the party to the cabins. (never touched the gas!)
- When hanging out with ROADTRIP, do not trip over the 40 boxes of alcohol in his room and NEVER answer your phone after midnight.
- Keep a shot glass on the night stand, beside your phone.
- Be in your own bed by midnight.
- When sharing a big boat slip with two mint Classics BE CAREFUL pulling in!
- 38ZX's are always owned by dealers.
- Welcome aboard anyone who ask you to take his bride to be for the weekend.
- Don't let your wife tour a house boat, you will rent one the following year.
- No ATM's at Jamestown Marina and Burnside Marina is CASH ONLY! ps. BLT's are $8,
salad is $15.....
- And where do BLUE cups go from a 1/3 full keg?
I am still finding them in my engine compartment!
- Oh, and you never know WHERE you will see the MadPoodle...

Just wait until AOTH III.
Bryan

roadtrip se
05-28-2002, 03:11 PM
REMOTE SHOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bryan did answer his phone after midnight this past weekend, and he did enjoy a remote shot with the Roadtrip and company.

So either he didn't remember the AOTH lesson to not answer his phone after midnight, or he did remember the AOTH lesson to always leave a shot glass next to the phone!

Won't be the last time! Looking forward to getting over to VA for a little wave crushing on the mighty Chesapeke!

Todd and Jill