PDA

View Full Version : SS Drive

Cuda
03-17-2003, 05:18 PM
I ran across this on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2407505099&category=26455

Sam
03-17-2003, 05:48 PM
Was there such a thing as a standard gear ratio for this unit while it was in production.

Sam

HyperDonzi
03-17-2003, 06:30 PM
Selling as-is, but guaranteed??

HyperDonzi
03-17-2003, 06:30 PM
Selling as-is, but guaranteed??

GG Donzi
03-17-2003, 08:03 PM
I have one on my 18' Classic and it is a 1.50 ratio. For what it's worth is really helped top end though I did lose some handling.

Rootsy
03-17-2003, 08:40 PM
looks like it has an Outboard CLE on it... the skeg looks like it has a torque tab cast into it which was not used on production SS lowers from what i can tell... also lacks access plates to the water passage just below the joint between upper and lower housing...

Root

<small>[ March 17, 2003, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Rootsy ]</small>

AVickers
03-18-2003, 08:43 AM
As I understand it, the SS is a hybrid between an Alpha and one of the many High Performance Outboard lower end / shifting units available on the other side of the Mercruiser house.

Perhaps when they rebuilt this unit and replaced the lower case, they couldn't find an SS lower unit case and found an OB foot that fit right on??? Or only needed slight modifications???

That might be nice to know for those looking to raise the axis of their propshafts...

<small>[ March 18, 2003, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: AVickers ]</small>

turbo2256
03-18-2003, 08:58 AM
Most big block applications were 1.32 most small blocks were 1.5.

turbo2256
03-18-2003, 09:05 AM
Also the skeg on that one looks as though its been modified or repaired. Otherwise it looks the same as mine with a better paint job and Merc sticker on it.

<small>[ March 18, 2003, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: turbo2256 ]</small>

Rootsy
03-18-2003, 10:08 AM
the V6 Outboard (old) CLE and (new) sportmaster cases will bolt up to the Alpha SS upper with pretty much just a driveshaft swap. The SS upper housing is the rare part... it is shorter than the standard alpha upper driveshaft housing. Measuring mine vs a standard alpha gen I AND gen II i come up with an overall difference of 3 inches propshaft to input shaft. I know the Doug lovins has measured his and he comes up with the same numbers.

The seller also told me that they replaced the lower gears with the updated 17/28 gearset which is more robust than the old Gen I alpha design.

the 1.32 was a standard BBC gearset and optional on the sbc... standard sbc was 1.50

Forrest
03-18-2003, 11:40 AM
I didn't think that the SS was ever offered on a small-block package from Merc. I'm pretty sure that all SS started life with a 1.32:1 ratio. Mine's been retroed with a 1.50:1. Also, except for what may look a like a cast-in torq-tab, that skeg looks just like the skeg on my Alpha SS and the one on the my brand-new spare Alpha SS lower gear-case housing that I sold to a guy in NY or PA(?)last year. Also, Alpha SSs are found with one of two different lower-unit castings. The early few had the water pickups cast into the standard location (ala GeneD's SS)and the later and majority of the models had two low-water pickups drilled on upper side of the nose cone. And yes Rootsy, if you loose your SS's upper, your SS is gone.

<small>[ March 19, 2003, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: Forrest ]</small>

turbo2256
03-18-2003, 12:05 PM
I have the low water pick-ups drilled into the nose cone but my skeg is more squared up. Smaller front radius and a flatter bottom to it

<small>[ March 18, 2003, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: turbo2256 ]</small>

Rootsy
03-18-2003, 12:19 PM
Forrest,

I believe that the SS came on the bbc as well as the 320 / 320 efi sbc... the micro fiche lists 1.32 and 1.50 gear options for it. I have gene's SS now and i was told by craig colabella that the lower half of this SS is a MOD VP Outboard gearcase... which makes sense because there is a gear oil vent plug in the side of the gearcase as well as the fill plug on the bottom of the bullet such as an OB would use... i have not split it yet to replace the waterpump impeller so i do not have a clue as to whether the oil passage is drilled through. My gearcase also has a cast nosecone which attaches to the front vs a one piece case. This was also a trait of teh first generation MOD VP cases and has a MOD VP serial # (IJ85J020) stamped into the upper lip of the gearcase.

either way.. at 1000 bucks the ebay unit is VERY attractive.. if for nothing more than a spare...

Eddie1823
03-18-2003, 05:54 PM
The Alpha SS is a great drive. When I installed the SS on my former 18 Donzi, with a prop change I gained about 8 mph. The SS drive was first built for the Merc 320 EFI engine with a 1.5:1 gear ratio. The EFI engines never took off because they would load up at idle speeds and foul the plugs,(first try at marine EFI motors). Aside from the lower housing, which has a built in nose cone with low water pick ups and a shorter water pump tube, the internal parts are the same as a standard Alpha drive. The lower gear case is not a converted outboard unit. The water pick ups on the SS drive are above the nose cone and the outboards are below the nose cone. Changing the gear ratio is simple, just by changing the upper gear set. The parts are available from Merc. By insalling an SS drive you will raise your X dimension by @3" and you can then run more surface piercing props and enjoy the extra speed you will gain in a 1/2 hour of work.
Life begins at 60, MPH that is.

Forrest
03-19-2003, 09:14 AM
So Root, GeneD sold you his SS? He no longer has it? Shhhhhh! I think that I'm going to have to slap that boy around a little! Well, hat's to you for picking it up. Amen, what a difference the SS makes! I remember that Gene had Lake X gear it to 1.7:1 or something close that in order to swing a big pitch prop. After the re-gearing, his his old 18 was dialed in just right. It ran big-time great! Anyway, does anyone know what the reserve is on that SS on eBay? It's got to be more than a grand. I paid $1500 for mine a few years back, and it was (still is) perfect, but I considered that deal to be a steal. You normally see a good one sell in the $2000 to $2500 range when they are available. I hope that one ends up on the back of someone's 16 or 18 Donzi (hint hint). :D

<small>[ March 19, 2003, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Forrest ]</small>

AVickers
03-19-2003, 09:46 AM
What would a drive like that do in a Big Block C22? I have a CLE Alpha w/ low water pickup on mine -- 1.32:1 -- and I've been looking for a spare.

My initial guess is that it wouldn't provide enough bow lift, thus it would be slower 'cause the hull wouldn't air out. Anyone else have any thoughts?

turbo2256
03-19-2003, 11:30 AM
I bet the reserve is around 2500. I am shure I ran into the drive for sale somewhere else. I still have mine for sale 2500 1.5 gearing.

Forrest
03-19-2003, 03:36 PM
Never seen an Alpha SS run slower than a regular Alpha. Nose cone or not. But then again, I've never seen one on a 22 either.

Hay! You guys running regular Alphas and small blocks on 16s or 18s need to buy up these Alpha SSs while they are still for sale at these reasonable prices. $2500 is NOT to much to pay for a good one. Yea, a Bravo is stronger, and that why I would never recommend an Alpha SS or any Alpha be hind a big block, but if you have small block, you are in business fairly cheap. Otherwise to get the same hydrodynamics elsewhere, you'll need to buy a Bravo drive, and transom assembly, AND an IMCO shorty. That ought to be cheap! And besides, you can sell your old plain-jane Alpha and get a lot of your money back on the SS.

Just a suggestion!

Forrest
03-20-2003, 08:53 AM
Wow! That SS on eBay sold for $1800. Now that's a deal! Did anyone here buy it?

Rootsy
03-20-2003, 10:17 AM
i went to 1500 on it before i crashed last night.. reserve wasn't yet met... figured she'd be good for a spare or an investment... oh well.. but i agree that is still CHEAP!

i think i still have the email somewhere in my archives from a gentlemen in NJ who had 2 last year on ebay... he wanted 2K a piece and neither had water intakes on the lowers or impellers inside.. so i passed since i had no clue and couldn't just drive on out and take a look...

he also had a 20 cig for sale...

<small>[ March 20, 2003, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Rootsy ]</small>

Budmann
03-20-2003, 12:06 PM
Wow... when I asked about putting a SS drive on my boat, I got hammered by the Registry about how much of a piece of crap this drive is. Now reading this thread, you have to question the nohow of the people giving me bad info.

Which is it?? Is this a good drive or what??????????

Forrest
03-20-2003, 04:37 PM
It's great for performance, but it's still basically an Alpha in terms of strength. No big blocks please!

Murphy
03-20-2003, 05:15 PM
You can have a look at a very clean, all original Alpha SS on a Donzi 22 at
http://www.donzi.net/hull/DMR22139L586/Murph86Donzi2.jpg

I bought this last year from a guy who had two like new RH units for sale off the same boat. I paid $1500. Still kicking myself for not taking them both. Runs great.

Murph

turbo2256
03-21-2003, 12:10 PM
I dont believe there were any counter rotating Alpha SS drives

Cuda
03-21-2003, 07:24 PM
I was told there were CR SS's. Right now I can't remember who told me that, but it was someone who's information I deemed reliable.

Rootsy
03-22-2003, 09:38 PM
I was told that all SS's were right hand rotation... but then this would not make sense for a dual motor application where you would want one to be counter rotation... the micro fiche does not list counter rotation gearsets though..

Murphy
03-23-2003, 10:11 AM
Believe it or not the guy I bought mine from had 2 RH units on the same boat. Decided he didn't like the way it handled. Go figure.

Murph

Cuda
03-23-2003, 10:25 AM
Most standard twin alpha applications are both rh rotation. That is what I have on my 242 Formula with twin alpha's. I have never noticed any bad handling traits.

MR MAGOO
03-23-2003, 04:52 PM
I`ve never seen a couner rotating SS drive and the left hand Alphas are pretty rare. Most twin Alpha set ups are both right hand

Kurt

Cuda
03-23-2003, 06:31 PM
I saw a CR alpha on ebay not long ago, but I have only heard rumors of CR SS drives.

olredalert
03-23-2003, 08:08 PM
-------My Alphas on the El Pescador are counter rotating.They are new so not from SS era,but had no problem getting them and base 350 powerplants.Only had a problem with my checkwriting hand!!!!!!.......ol red!......Bill S