PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used your classic's lifting eyes?

tamburello
03-17-2003, 11:41 AM
Have any of you used the lifting eyes on your classic to hoist your boat on davits or with a crane? If you have, do you have any pointers for hoisting it?

- Jeff

GEOO
03-17-2003, 11:54 AM
I used the lifting rings on my 1975 X-18. I hooked up an engine lift to the rear ring.

Burton
03-17-2003, 12:43 PM
Used lifting rings to hoist my Sweet 16 in and out of the water aprox 30 times last summer....No Problems :cool: :cool: :cool:

Rodger
03-17-2003, 01:21 PM
I don't use my lifting-rings but I know people who do. On my lake there are several people with Donzis 16's, 18's, 22's, Hornets, and a 21 GT who use the lifting rings. These boats are hanging 5-6 months continuous and as far as I know they aren't having any problems. On a couple of the 18's and a Hornet and the 21 GT; I'v e seen these boats hanging every season for over 20 years.

CDMA
03-17-2003, 03:17 PM
Same wash rack in that fog? wink

Chris

Forrest
03-17-2003, 04:15 PM
Be sure to inspect the steel components that attaches the lifting eye to the hull. That especially goes for the older classics. Those mild steel parts rust and will break at the worst possible time. Lucky for me that my X-18 that was only two inches off of the trailer when the bow lifting eye pulled out. The nut at the bottom of the threaded rod that goes through bracket that attaches to the hull failed do to corrosion. After that, I went out and replaced everything except for the eye itself with stainless steel components. Now the old X-boat ready for those davits three-doors down the canal from Ma & Pa Poodle in Lower M. Key. :cool:

<small>[ March 18, 2003, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Forrest ]</small>

Fish boy
03-18-2003, 09:54 AM
Although not a classic, I had my boat on davits for a couple of years when i first got it with no problems.

However, I am currently having the same problem forrest mentioned. The lifting ring on the top in connected by a metal rod to the anchor/trailer eye on the hull. The rod and related pieces rusted and I am sure if I tried to lift it by the eye, it would not take more than a few seconds to pull loose.

One more thing to add to the list of things to do.

<small>[ March 18, 2003, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Fshboy ]</small>