PDA

View Full Version : Polishing exhaust tips

SkiBeeZ71
03-16-2003, 12:26 AM
I've been lurking here on the boards for quite a while and thought now would be a good time to jump in with a question. My exhaust tips are a bit on the dull side and I would like to polish them up a little before the season starts. Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be the best way to do this myself?

Here is a shot taken after an outing last month down at the Ozarks when we caught a break from the cold:

http://www.donzi.net/photos/sbz71_exhaust_tips.jpg

Ideally, I would like to do this by leaving them on the boat and using some sort of polish. (I might be tempted to upgrade if I do take them off of the boat :D )

I'm not looking for a mirror finish out of this, but rather to remove the film that has dulled their appearance.

Thanks!

--------------------
SkiBeeZ71

knee deep
03-16-2003, 05:37 AM
I use Flitz metal polish in a tube. Its a relatively stiff cream. If they are really bad use a high speed buffer, or because they are small use the buffing pad on a dremel tool. Once you have the shine back on coat them with Woody Wax and then Woody Wax sealer, according to the instructions. They'll look brand new and once sealed are simple to maintain-spray a little Woody Wax on and wipe off. I just did the rails on a 50 SeaRay in saltwater and they are, and remain perfect.

Greg Maier
03-16-2003, 06:38 AM
If you do decide to take them off, I have a buffing machine that can put a mirror finish back on them. Just pay shipping both ways, and I'll take care of everything else.

Rodger
03-16-2003, 07:04 AM
If that film your talking about is actually a mineral/calcium build-up; try Lime Away or a similar product. From my experience, the use of one of those products will take those deposits off with little effort, just rinse with water after use.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-16-2003, 07:23 AM
I have experimented with many produsts, the easiest being On/Off, wipe on with a small sponge not to get any on anything else, wait 15 seconds, rinse with hose thouroughly, and wipe them dry. Then I usually put a coat of wax on them. I do them about once a month.
Be careful not to get it on you rubber flaps, I use the thin sink sponges and just throw it away when finished.
Bryan

<small>[ March 16, 2003, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: Bryan Tuvell 26ZX ]</small>

BS
03-16-2003, 07:48 AM
What part of the Lake are you on.

Bill

Tomahawk
03-16-2003, 07:58 AM
Skibeez - probably some good advice here but I just wanted to compliment your avatar. I have no clue how some of you guys do this but, to me, yours is the coolest yet. :)

SkiBeeZ71
03-16-2003, 12:03 PM
Thanks all for the quick responses. After looking at them again, the build-up on the tips is most likely calcium and other mineral deposits.

Greg - thanks for the offer to buff them out. My only fear about taking them off is that if I start there, I'll keep working my way down the line and end up installing some IMCO Thumpers...

I'll post some more pics when I'm finished (maybe that will happen today since my alma mater decided not to participate in today's Big 12 championship game :mad: )