PDA

View Full Version : Carpet / Replacement etc.

tailwind
02-11-2002, 11:02 PM
Many thanks to everyone on the registry; I will always be amazed at the weath of data contained within. Being new to the site, many questions have been answered using the search function listed in the upper tool bar.

I would like to have the opportunity to access my built in "cooler" between the seats in my 91 "18" Classic without removing the entire snap in carpet ! Following up with calls to Donzi Marine, and customer service, left me with the following result: "As you may know American Holdings purchased the DONZI line several years ago and do not have information concerning previous year models".

Having searched this topic, and found R & R Textiles, Chatsworth, GA, I feel that I am on the right track now. Anybody else out there have this dilemma ? If so , please let me know, regardless will give them a call in the AM.

Best regards, Tailwind

Scott Pearson
02-12-2002, 06:08 AM
I made my own carpet for my 68. When I called R&R they thought I was nuts when I asked for an orange carpet. So...I searched everywhere and found a carpet in Cal. Fabrica Mill made the orange I needed. Any whooo.....I got the carpet and cut it out myself along with the access (Cooler) between the seats. Then I had a local guy bind the edges and I added snaps. Now I just grab the edge of the carpet buy the (Cooler) and it lifts right out. I'm pretty sure the right carpet should have that already cut. Was yours replaced?

Good Luck

(NJ)Scott

SS18
02-12-2002, 06:00 PM
Tailwind,
I too need two carpets 1st 18 classic,2nd 20 minx
please email a number for R+R.

Thanks
JIM in NJ

Dr. Dan
02-12-2002, 06:26 PM
Scott "Van Gogh" Pearson makes a good point! I am sure R & R Textiles is a fine company and this is not to take anything away from them or any other sources for your various retrofits, but as a point of information here is some carpet facts from the Doc. Most commercial cut pile carpets sold or available in any local flooring store will work great for our applications! You can special order virtually any color and make your own pattern from existing "snap in factory carpet" or make a cardboard pattern. Styles to look for are as follows: Tenure I & II, Sentry 30 & 36, for example,these are Mohawk styles available in their "Home & Office" collection. These work great and I would recommend the 30oz version only because the snaps are %^&$#@* to get into anything with a tall pile height, even so I had to do a bit of custom shaving to get ours to fit properly. Don't worry about delamination or indoor outdoor concerns unless you are going to swamp your boat and keep it wet all of the time. As long as it gets an opportunity to sun dry, you should not have a problem! If you prefer a loop carpet which are made of olefin or nylon, you can find many cool patterns and styles that would jazz up any Donzi interior! Cost ranges don't mean much because it's such a small quantity! I've seen Scott's and the Fabrica Company is a very high end Manufacturer! But don't be shy to look around, there are some great products on the market today that will more than cover your needs and they are not marketed for boats, because of indooor/outdoor warranty concerns! Keep in mind, nylon fades, olefin does not, polyester is sort of in between in terms of color fastness! I went with a commercial nylon(Networks 30oz. Teal), something like you would see in an Auto Dealer or a Church. I got it bound too, and it looks and performs better than any boat carpet I've seen! My cost was less than $60 for a 12' x 6' peice, keep in mind, most comes in 12' widths! Any questions, email me or list them here!...FYI I have been with Mohawk Industries for over 10 years in Regional Sales,residential & commercial!... wink Good Luck...Doc

SS18
02-12-2002, 06:42 PM
Hey Doc,
Just curious do you know any of the guys from
Avalon carpet and Tile in Manahawkin,NJ? Thanks for the tip since I need two the same color!
Thanks,
Jim in NJ

Dr. Dan
02-12-2002, 09:07 PM
SS18, No I don't know them, but I have heard of their company, I cover South Central Pa, Harrisburg/York areas!... wink ...Doc

tailwind
02-12-2002, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the replies ! Got busy at work early this morning and didnt have a chance to call R & R, but will try and give it a shot tommorrow. Here is the url :

http://www.rrtextiles.com/html/marine.html

My carpet is light gray, and has the DONZI logo sewn behind the front seats (black). Additionally, it has a heavy rubber type backing, and found a cloth tag attached reading "Sun-Tex Aqua Mat, Chatsworth, GA, attached to the starboard aft corner. Perhaps they were the OEM supplier in 1991 ?

The kind folks at DONZI mentioned during my call, that they no longer provide this storage locker on the new boats ! Will post pricing from R & R when available.

Best regards,
Randy

tailwind
02-12-2002, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the replies ! Got busy at work early this morning and didnt have a chance to call R & R, but will try and give it a shot tommorrow. Here is the url :

http://www.rrtextiles.com/html/marine.html

My carpet is light gray, and has the DONZI logo sewn behind the front seats (black). Additionally, it has a heavy rubber type backing, and found a cloth tag attached reading "Sun-Tex Aqua Mat, Chatsworth, GA, attached to the starboard aft corner. Perhaps they were the OEM supplier in 1991 ?

The kind folks at DONZI mentioned during my call, that they no longer provide this storage locker on the new boats ! Will post pricing from R & R when available.

Best regards,
Randy

Scott Pearson
02-13-2002, 05:35 AM
Doc Dan,
Your scaring me on how much you know about carpet...I guess you really do sell the stuff. And here all along I thought you worked for the CIA. Any whooo...my carpet has held up great. Ohhh I almost forgot...I did the bunks on my trailer with it also. It looks like the day I did it!

The only thing I did do was glue an 1/8 rubber pad under the carpet so it would be softer on the glass and my feet. My carpet was expensive to say the least. One because it was a Fabrica Mill and the other was because it was orange. Fabrica Mill was the only company I could find that had a bright orange carpet. There in Cal. that must explane it. For a 6x12 piece it was about $580.00 then to have it bound was anouther $300.00 or so. Then my time...hummmm damn....I have alot of money in that thing. It was worth it. I have enuff to do another peice later on also.

(NJ)Scott

Dr. Dan
02-13-2002, 06:03 AM
Scott, You are truly the "Artiste", lets see, a 6 x 12 = 8 yards of carpet! So at $580/8yards=472/yard,delivered! WoW!!!!! You could put in a Karastan Cheaper, but I understand, Color, Color,
Color, and to make you feel really special!!! The going rate for binding should be between $1 to $2 per running lineal foot! A $72/yard peice takes the same amount of binding tape as a less expensive peice! And the pad you put in isn't cheap either(nice comfort touch)! The binding labor is a *&%$#@ because of all the tight radius corners, the sewing machines are geared/designed for a more lateral/lineal flow of the goods being bound. Scott, next boat project, maybe we can work something out for you, no promises, but I bet I can do it cheaper than the $100/yard complete you spent :D , just a thought...? ...Doc

Forrest
02-13-2002, 10:17 AM
Does anyone know where I can get Pirelli rubber flooring?

tailwind
02-13-2002, 11:48 AM
Just got off the phone with R & R textiles concerning the replacement carpet for my 1991 Classic 18. They have a 20 oz carpet for $ 6.00 sq ft and a 40 oz for $ 10.00 sq ft. The DONZI logo is an extra $ 50.00. These prices are for the "Aqua Mat" with the rubberized backing. They are mailing color samples of each for selection. I can either send a cardboard pattern or the old carpet for matching, and the lead-time is normally two weeks.

Rough dimensions of my carpet are 54.5 inches wide by 68 inches long, or approx. 26 sq ft.

20 oz cost: 6 x 26 + 50 = $ 206.00
40 oz cost: 10 x 26 + 50= $ 310.00

Sounds fairly reasonable price wise, and the quality of my existing "Aqua Mat" is superb. Looking forward to getting the samples.

Randy

Jamesbon
02-13-2002, 11:53 AM
Tailwind,
Does that price include them binding the edges?

tailwind
02-13-2002, 11:58 AM
This includes binding the edges, cooler cutout, and snaps installed if you are sure enough of your pattern or fit ! These prices were preliminary cost estimates, as all orders go through engineering for final pricing. Hopefully the final pricing to be within 5 % or so.

Randy

tailwind
02-13-2002, 11:59 AM
This includes binding the edges, cooler cutout, and snaps installed if you are sure enough of your pattern or fit ! These prices were preliminary cost estimates, as all orders go through engineering for final pricing. Hopefully the final pricing to be within 5 % or so.

Randy

Dr. Dan
02-13-2002, 09:57 PM
Tailwind, sounds like a really good price, considering! Do they offer the logos for the carpet to be purchased seperately? In case I wanted to have them sewn into any color I choose? wink ...Thanks ...Doc