PDA

View Full Version : Have you read Important Info?

MOP
03-14-2003, 07:30 PM
I sent Scot HM an E-Mail quite awhile back about being Pinged alot up here. I have a cheap firewall tha goes nuts on the donzi net at times. Also alot of times I will change sections my log on drops and I have to log on again, I have had this happen 5-6 times some evenings. How many others are finding the same problem. Please read the Important Info post. Anyone should think about a Firewall, it today is just as if not more important than Virus software. If you see someone screwing with your posts E-Mail the HM he can track the Perp.

<small>[ March 14, 2003, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: M.O.P. ]</small>

HyperDonzi
03-14-2003, 07:41 PM
I used to have the problem, but pc problems, (win2k) has always crashed whenever I try to install firewalls or antivirus... Will reformat and go back to win 98. Remember, If someone is posting on your name, change the pass, and DONT delete the post!! HM can click the "Ip Logged" button and trace the person.

harbormaster
03-14-2003, 09:01 PM
Hyper you are a complete idiot if you truly believe that 98 is better than 2000.

You non-computer literate guys need to go out and buy a Linksys hardware firewall.

Don't blame it on the registry.

A software firewall will work just as good, but you need to have some smarts on how to configure it.

Dredgeking
03-14-2003, 09:21 PM
i use both a software firewall and a linksys firewall router. i hope it works.

BUIZILLA
03-14-2003, 09:24 PM
I run a DSL line with Bellsouth through a LinkSys router and 3 wireless pc cards for 4 computers in this house. One slave and 3 satellite terminals.

Perfect connection, and slam dunk built in firewall protection.

It works so good, I did it in my office the same way with 3 computers there.

I *DO* have a couple security *concerns* with the wireless thingy, and I just had it scanned for intrusion by a Gov't issued tracker, to see who in my neighborhood was trying to piggyback on my connection. We found the *intruder*. He won't be happy with my plans for payback. wink

J

HyperDonzi
03-14-2003, 09:33 PM
Scot, I must have installed bad or have a bad copy...Any idea on why it stops responding when I try to play a music or movie file?

MOP
03-14-2003, 09:38 PM
Scot firewall seems to be squared away I go to the GRC site frequently, lets you check your firewalls penetrability. I was surprised to find the Important Info section wiped, what happened?

Check this site you may like it.

http://grc.com/default.htm

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-14-2003, 09:48 PM
We have used Linksys the last few months, no problems. Their routers are great.
I use government software as a firewall at home, so won't say the brand, it is very user friendly to use.
I NEVER have an issue on this site.
Bryan

<small>[ March 14, 2003, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Bryan Tuvell 26ZX ]</small>

Donzi Dreaming
03-14-2003, 10:02 PM
"Hyper you are a complete idiot if you truly believe that 98 is better than 2000.

You non-computer literate guys need to go out and buy a Linksys hardware firewall.

Don't blame it on the registry.

A software firewall will work just as good, but you need to have some smarts on how to configure it."

Still rolling on the floor from this reply, tell him how it Harbormaster. Win2k is rock solid compared to W98. Hyper your problem could be that you are doing the install over W98 or the firewall is not compatable with Win2k. I have installed Win2k on well over 1000 PCs, my only problems early on was hardware compatibility.

Hyper, when was the last time that PC was rebuilt from scratch? Maybe it's time!

John
:)

MOP
03-14-2003, 10:18 PM
I've told by some W2000 is even better than XP, I am still on 98. I've been thinking about 2000 are there real good pluses?

HyperDonzi
03-15-2003, 08:54 AM
Installed on a new hd. The pc was taken apart and dusted a year ago, new hard drive for christmas. I think the computer has enough oomph in it, 800mhz, 384mb ram, 80 gig drive... I guess we will be reformating soon...

McGary911
03-15-2003, 10:33 AM
For a great software firewall download Zone Alarm. The free version is all you need. Goto Zone Alarm (http://www.zonealarm.com) then download and download the freebee from the bottom of the page. Not only will a good firewall keep people from getting in, it will also keep any spyware that you may have installed (without knowing) from getting out.
Win2K is the best MS operating system out there right now. I use (have to) XP at work, and its just win2k trying to look pretty with lots of wizards. Win2k is just as powerful without all that crap. Win NT3.5/4/2K/XP will always be more stable than win 95/98/ME because of the way they talk to the hardware.

Enough Geek Talk from me!!

Get ZoneAlarm...free and easy.....

Off to fix my trim pump...