PDA

View Full Version : 22ZX

chucknoonan
02-10-2002, 09:03 PM
This is the year I'm going to get started in boating, and I am love with the 22ZX, but I have some questions that I hope someone can help me with. Why no more factory big block? I heard about problems with cracked hulls. Anybody else heard this? What kind of performance could I expect out of a 350MAG with the 98 or newer stepped hull? Any other info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thankx!

Shanghied Again
02-11-2002, 05:01 AM
Chuck, The 22ZX is a beautiful boat, I had a 1998 ZX big block and never had a problem with hull cracking, I know they had a problem with the winshield flairing that they have fixed, but the hull? My 22 was the most aggressive fastest 22ZX that was around, I only got rid of her because I upgraded. She was a legend in her own time. I ran that boat in Poker Runs, Ocean and bay, Won 1st place in a Radar shoot out and very rarly stayed in the water. My boat did over 80mph. The hull was solid! You should see 63-66 mph with the 350. and the reason they got rid of the big block was because of the weight to hp ratio, They say they run better and stand less chance to stuff then with the big blocks. Bryan T owned one with a 350. He loved his boat. I wish you the best of luck.

Digger
02-11-2002, 07:42 AM
Chuck, take the plunge. you can't go wrong with a Donzi (unless you buy used and she has been thrashed). put a 22ZX in your driveway and see what happens biggrin.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif
welcome to the board.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-11-2002, 09:38 AM
I just sold my '99 22ZXZ 350 Mag, great boat, faster than most 22's, low to mid 60's consistantly with a 4 blade Bravo I.

Fun boat, no hull cracking on ine, I had some fairing cracks but the Donzi warranty got repaired, her better than new.

350 Mag, bullet proof, zero casualties, the Alpha drive wasn't so good to me, the new 22's are 6.2 Bravo's and that in my mind would be a great combo.
Bryan

Scubado
02-11-2002, 11:05 AM
Hey Chuck,

I have a 2000 22ZX with the 350 Mag Alpha combo. It's a real nice boat, the 350 gets great fuel economy and runs in the low to mid 60's depending on how heavily you have it loaded with people, gas, etc. I suppose the Alpha is the weak link if you think you need a faster boat get the big block with the Bravo. The fuel economy is great for me because I often run 150 miles or more in a day.

I have never heard of any cracked hulls but have had problems with the windscreen fairing cracking. Donzi has fixed the problem. They make an honest effort in standing by their five year warranty.

Overall the 22ZX is a beautiful boat that performs well and always turns heads. It's a solid boat that handles excellent in rough conditions. I don't think there is another boat in it's class.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions. If you ever come out to the West Coast, I'd be happy to take you for a ride.

Terry Brannigan
02-11-2002, 05:35 PM
I have a 99' 22ZX w/ an EFI big block. It's alomot a 70 mph boat. I heard some talk about cracking. There is a vey simple precaution that you can take. I had the guys at Blue Lightning installl an extruded aluminum brace that folllows the contor of the bottom of the hull and connects the two main "bunks" that support the engine. I'm 100% sure I didn't need to do it but erred on the side of safty! It looks cool (if you stick your head under the motor!) but more importantly looks like it would make sense.

PS I've considered selling my ZX (I also have a classic and want a Hornte III) My boat has 65 hours on it and is perfect in every way) feel free e-mail me w/ any questions

tbrannigan@kpmg.com