PDA

View Full Version : Classic 22, or 22 ZX ........

boxy
05-13-2002, 03:25 PM
....pro's and con's of both. After looking for an 18 for a couple of years, I have come to the conclusion that an 18 will someday be a second boat, and I think a 22 will better serve my family's needs. It's still trailerable, fairly fast, and the kids won't fall over the side. (unless they really try)

Laidback
05-13-2002, 04:24 PM
I can't vouch for the ZX or the Scarab, but I just bought a 96 Donzi 22 Classic and the boat is just plain incredible. I am somewhat younger (29) but the classic lines and style are still appealing to me. I believe the design is roughly 30 years old with minor changes along the way. I would try to ride in each and then make the call.

HP 600SC
05-13-2002, 05:33 PM
I have driven all of them and many different
ones at that.
Gee guess which one I'm gonna recommend?
THE 22 CLASSIC :D :D

abelchinewalker
05-13-2002, 05:40 PM
22 Classic.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
05-13-2002, 05:44 PM
OK, well I will give my 2 cents.
Your post is confussing based on subject line.

It depends on your application/use.
Oh and the last 22 Scarab that crossed the bay with us had his WHOLE dash panel fly out! (older one, not many left, 454 Volvo duo prop set up).

I think ALL will agree, application is the key to buying what you need....
Bryan

Shanghied Again
05-13-2002, 08:29 PM
Bryan is right, What are you going to use the boat for? The classic is a knife great running boat classic lines with low gunnels with no cabin. The 22ZX the baby of the offshore line a little better in rough water with a cabin. The 22 Scarab doesn't even come close to any of them! My cousin has one (seat broke twice, The gauges fell out and the boat can not run in any water over 2ft without something breaking) Not the better of the Scarab line.

boxy
05-13-2002, 09:36 PM
The Scarab was never being strongly considered, it's just that there are a couple of them up here for sale right now. I've driven a couple of 18's, and a 22, and I guess the question I really need answered is - "Is the ZX as fun to drive, and is the v-berth a large enough space for 2 little kids to nap?" If so, it would seem to fit my boating needs better right now. Frank, you ran the waters I boat in at last years 1000 Islands Poker Run, would the Classic be deep enough for all day boating with a family.

PS: Frank - if you need a pit crew for the 1000 Islands Run let me know.

Wintersux 1
05-14-2002, 08:57 AM
If you have little ones, the z has the storage and the cuddy for them to nap which will give you more time on the water. I would like a classic, but the lack of storage and overnighting made the choice for me.

Shanghied Again
05-14-2002, 07:35 PM
Boxy

I will be coming up with the 26ZX with the wife, There should be no one else on the boat so if I run the boat hop on. The 22ZX should work out well for you and the kids I had mine for 2 years and I ran in the Ocean there is pleanty of room for 2 adults and the porta a potti works out real nice!

Formula Jr
05-14-2002, 08:00 PM
I agree with wintersux on this one. If ya got wee ones (pun intended), you need a cuddy of somekind, cause there is nothing, and I mean damn near nothing worst than trying to deal with unexpected weather while your kids are cold and possibly wet. Any of the Z-line, Small Blackwidow, will work, as would the 22zx. Day boats and kids, just don't work. The fact that you can just put them up in the cabin, with a blanket, while you brave out stuff in rain gear, lets you concentrate on getting back or riding through. And you will triple your boating time, cause you will not have to be certain of the weather. And of course, if you're married or involved with a partner, there are things you can do with cuddy that you can't do with an open boat. :D

One of my boats is a Seaswirl Cuddy, a very badly constructed boat, but it really opened the door to boat camping: A whole other dimention to boating. I don't write about these trips here, cause its not donzi related, but this vehicle has brought a lot of beautiful places within reach.

Murphy
05-14-2002, 09:01 PM
Definitely choose the Z for kids. I've got a 22 Classic and love it but my kids are now 9 and 11 and will soon be into the years when they'll appreciate the classic more. When they were younger it was not as fun for them since there is really very little room in the Classic. A swim platform is a must for kids too. I rafted up with a Z last summer and looked it over pretty well. I was pretty envious of all that space.

Murph

oldLenny
05-14-2002, 11:31 PM
Owen, it works in open boats too. 17' Boston Whalers to be exact. You just have to be less inhibited and not scared of planes... :D

Formula Jr
05-14-2002, 11:59 PM
Well, Lenny, I just think of it as a public service, cause nobody wants to see my skinny bare ass on the internet. :D

Craig
05-15-2002, 01:25 PM
Just buy a 16 and have some more kids! They can seat up to 8 uncomfortably!

boxy
05-15-2002, 02:37 PM
Thanks for all for all of the advice, I've just broke ground on a new house, so the search for a 22 ZX will take awhile, but my Regal is sold, the garage is empty, and it needs to be filled. Are those 22's at Trexler's still available ?

Frank, I'll keep in touch as the summer progresses. If you and Mellisa want to come up for a few days before or after the run, let me know, I'll take a few days vacation, and move the family to the river. My folks live right at the 1000 Islands Bridge, and there is a 23' Powerquest sitting in the boathouse that hardly ever gets run.

Jim
05-15-2002, 02:53 PM
I owned a 18' classic for 10years, the Tempest 300 really pushed it along nicely. I loved the ride but with a 10yr and the fact we loved to camp it just didn't have the space. We would have to take multiple trips from the ramp to our camp site and getting caught in the rain sucked.
I was trying to decide between the 22 classic and a Z21 or Z22. I wanted to move up to a 22 either way since we do run in the sound once in a while and with a slight breeze you can get pretty wet from the spray. I ended up with an older Z21 which does have a lot more room, which is lucky because we recently had triplets. I purchased the Z21 back in the fall of 2000 and we only got out about 4 times last year, we do plan on taking the boy's out this year since they are now a year old. The cabin will work out great plus with the deeper cockpit it will be much safer and smoother for the little guy's. The ride is defiantly different then the 18, something about he wind in the face and a quick throttle response. I know the 22' Classic has a deeper cockpit then the 18' but I would still be nervous with a little one. The Z21 does have some nice features, can sit 4 across in the back seat, swim platform, Cockpit to keep your gear as well as a large cooler and a good size sun pad. I can't tell you how many times I have pulled my 10yr old out of the water because I didn't like him climbing up on the stern drive of the 18'.
I only have the stock 454 with 330hp in the Z21 which I defiantly want to bump up but right now I'm just glad to be getting back on the water.

PS. I could see myself owning a 22' classic but as of now it doesn't make sense for us.
Good Luck, Jim

EricG
05-15-2002, 04:52 PM
Hmmm....I'm 28, Unmarried, with No Kids - and no plans of kids....why do I have a Z21? Sounds like I should really have a 22 Classic...

Actually, while I do plan on a Classic (probably an 18). For practicality I love the Z - The cabin is nice for storage, changing, a head, and other stuff... My 6 year old niece loves the cabin, as soon as we take off, she crawls down there, makes a nest, and spends hours bouncing around....it's a great on board rec-room for the young ones.

Good luck with the hunt!!

EG

Shanghied Again
05-15-2002, 05:19 PM
Boxy, Consider yourself one of the crew! I don't know the water that well and Big Rocks are not my freind. This run is a blast and I know you will enjoy it. You have to come to the NJPPC Party the night before ( You are Invited ) I will keep in touch but you will be aboard wearing a Team Shanghied Again shirt! :D

boxy
05-16-2002, 06:02 PM
Frank, thanks for the offer, that's fantastic. I am pumped :D :D . I'll be in touch, and I'll see if I can get Molson to sponsor your friday "meeting".