PDA

View Full Version : 289 Problems

Kong
02-10-2002, 12:26 PM
Hey everybody - You'll like this topic. I have just pulled my 289 out of my '67 Ski Sporter. Appears to be original but with one major flaw. The cyls are all buggered up - seller says it was rebuilt. Uh-huh. Looks like the rings stuck at one time. One of the lobes on the cam was rounded right off. No wonder it ran like crap.
Now the questions...Is this a reverse rotation motor?? What direction should the stock engine be turning looking from the stern? Date code on engine : C5AE-6015E. I have a 200aq drive with LH prop. I am putting in a 280 and have a line on a replacement long block or a 302 short block ass'y. Should I stay w/the 289 or go w/302? These are auto blocks. Does it make a difference RH or LH rotation? Seems to me that the starter would be the only difference. Would there be torque issues? My seat is on the left side as are the batteries. Can I rearrange the linkage on the drive to compensate. Can I switch props etc,etc. Get the picture? Any help would be appeciated. Thanks.

Dave Peterson
Keuka Lake

Gearhead99
02-10-2002, 01:06 PM
I'm sure that the 289 is RH. Besides the starter you also have to change the cam, dist and oil pump. Sometimes the crank is different, but only the hash marks where the rear main oil seal would touch.

I'd go with the 302. A few more cubic inches.

You can make the volvo drive turn either way with a simple change of the linkage. I can't remember which prop rotation will sometimes make the boat lean toward the left hand driver position.

Kong
02-10-2002, 03:01 PM
Thanks GH for info. I was leaning towards the 302 anyway. More common and a little more HP. The cam, dist., and starter are no problem. I assume that the intake, bell, oilpan, etc. are a direct fit. What about the harmonic dampener, timing chain? I also need more info on the mounts and support design I should use as the mounts I pulled off are BENT (gad!!). Pretty from afar but far from pretty, I guess. Thanks again.

Blewbyu
02-10-2002, 04:04 PM
Kong-best way to remember torque deal is to put your steering on the same side as prop rotation,i.e.LH prop/LH steering station.
Regards-Jeff

BigGrizzly
02-10-2002, 05:04 PM
The block you have is std auto rotation. we still have our 1966. and have worn out 3 engines, all were std auto rotation The only difference was the early motor had the 260 bell housing and flywheel. Yours should be the new style. Go with the 302 I did on the last round. No one cares about the origional engine on resale. I have been into Donzis and any one who wants the boat cares about the origional eng. The 302 is so much better than the 289. the balancer and flywheel should come off the 302. There are different cranks for the 302 and 5.0 types, even thoe they are internally balanced get the package.

Randy

Gearhead99
02-10-2002, 05:22 PM
The balancer and flywheel changed in 80-81. They went from a 28 oz to a 50 oz imbalance. If you use wrong one it will shake badly. Get the correct one for your 302. The early balancers had 3 bolt and later have 4. If you can't get right pullies you can redrill them. Everything else should bolt up. As long as you have a 6 bolt bellhousing you should have no problems. If the engine is a 66 it should be a 6 bolt.

The motor mounts...my 65, 16 footer had the mounts on the cast oil pan. They bolted to the stringers. My later Donzi's had heavy metal plates bolted to the factory bosses on the side of the block where the car motor mounts attach. Yes, mine were bent too.

Be careful of intake too. They changed the water passages between the intake and heads through the years. Not hard to remide though.

Rootsy
02-10-2002, 05:41 PM
Ford changed from 5 bolt to 6 bolt bellhousings on the 289 in 1965... lucky me ...i have a 5 bolt in the 64 cyclone... rolleyes.gif

Ralph Savarese
02-10-2002, 06:39 PM
I have a bellhousing in great shape and also a great intake. Original 289/302 cast iron used on the old Colbra mustangs works great with a Holly 600
Let me know
Ralph

Rootsy
02-10-2002, 06:56 PM
Ralph,

digging back through my memory didn't shelby use aluminum intakes on the small block cobra engines???? actually i think Ford used an aluminum intake on the 271 also... wink.gif

is that bellhousing for an automatic or for a 4 speed? and for what trans exactly?

Kong
02-11-2002, 08:27 AM
Thanks guys. All of you have good info. I don't know squat about the sbf. I am a sbc guy. I have a line on a 302 short block thru e-bay for about 7 bills (complete rebuild). I will need the balancer and flywheel. I'm glad that I can use the std auto block as my options greatly increase. I would love to look around more for a 351 but I also have a budget. My mounts were bolted to the block. There was a slide pin thru this assy with a piece of angle iron attached and bolted thru the stringer. Looks bad. I plan on designing and fabbing a support frame that spans both stringers and supports the block thru some PCM or Crusader mounts. I think that aluminum construction should be ok. Any thoughts? This project with get photos taken and I will post from time to time. I have some deck disassembly pics that could be of some interest. Thanks again.

Dave Peterson
'Cat Spray' #387

Ralph Savarese
02-11-2002, 07:06 PM
The manifold is an original 67 289 Mustang owned by my Dad Holly 600 fits perfect 4 holes same size cast Iron it was not on the car long used a few years until he put the Offenhouser on.The manifold just sat in the garage wrapped up.I was saving it for my 302 in case the manifold had went bad but never did before the Chevy conversion
The bell housing came off of my Donzi when I made the Ford to Chevy conversion it is a typical Ford bolt pattern with a borg warner 6 bolt pattern on the rear that will fit a Volvo IO or Mercruser inboard.
Ralph

BigGrizzly
02-11-2002, 07:44 PM
The intake on the HP271 is cast iorn. I still have the heads and intake in the basement. Kept them when I got rid of the car. Engine mounts are easy to modify, ended ny mount bending problems. I used the stock holes and some real angle iron in conjubction with a stock looking mount with a accross the bottom tie bar.

Randy

Gearhead99
02-12-2002, 05:54 AM
Big Grizzley is right the 289HP, 271HP engine had a cast iron intake manifold.

The Shelby GT350 had a 289 that produced 305HP. This engine had a high rise aluminum intake manifold.

Tony
02-12-2002, 07:58 AM
Kong,
I also have a '67 16' undergoing a sbf re-power! I will e-mail you for an exchange of ideas and some of the decisions I am still struggling with.

Rootsy
02-12-2002, 08:00 AM
see that's what i get for being born 25 years too late!

Scott Pearson
02-12-2002, 09:19 AM
Kong,
I have a set of motor mounts that came off my 18. If there the same you are welcome to them. Let me know.

(NJ)Scott

Kong
02-12-2002, 01:40 PM
Progress report. I will be going with a 302 unless a 289 short drops into my lap for a great price. Randy - your thoughts and solutions to the mount problem echo mine. I believe that I will run transverse support between stringers. I have found a few 302's out there from short to long and will be spending money soon. Any thoughts on duration and lift for cams? I will either go with a 21 or 23 pitch. Tony - are you going with a 351? That's still an option for me although I would like to use as many parts from my old setup as I can. Scott - Could you take a photo of your mounts and e-mail them to me. DonziSweet67@aol.com or you can post on this site for all to see. If they look good I'll throw bucks your way.
Deck Progress - All wiring is out (what a mess!!) No surprises except for real bad balsa. I'm looking at foam sheet. Can I use epoxy? Or should I stick w/polyester?

Dave
'Cat Spray' Let the dogs eat!!

Scott Pearson
02-12-2002, 03:33 PM
Dave,
Sorry I went down to take a picture of them and there nowhere to be found...Must have thrown them away. If they show up I will let you know. Sorry about that. :confused:

(NJ)Scott

Kong
02-12-2002, 08:43 PM
Scott - No problem..I think I know what I newed to do. I didn't know if there was a standard way of mounting the engine that Donzi had done in the factory. I know what I have is not quite factory built.

Kong.

Greg
02-13-2002, 09:16 AM
Hey Kong, I have the original angle iron brackets from my sbf motor mounts. One still has a piece attached to it that the engine mount attached to. Somewhere in the garage is the rest of it, I think? Later this afternoon I will be working out there and will do a more detailed search. I'll post my findings here later. Good luck to ya.

Greg
02-13-2002, 08:45 PM
Kong, I found the angle brackets that mount to the stringers, I have the piece that goes between them and the engine mounts, and I have one engine mount. I think the other one is here somewhere. If you want them, I'll look for it. You can have them for the shipping charges. The mount for the engine is bent a little bit, the old 289 went pretty good.

Kong
02-13-2002, 10:12 PM
Greg - Is there any way to e-mail a picture of what you have? I may have the exact thing you have. Which would explain why you have a bent mount also! My mount was also attached to the stringer by an angle bracket but this was too small and stressed out the stringer. I want to spread the forces over a larger area. My angle was only about 6" long (2-1/2 x 2-1/2 x 3/8").

Greg
02-14-2002, 08:31 AM
Kong, I will get a digital cam over here tonight and get the pics to you asap. Just a thought on how to attach the mounts to the stringers. I am in the process of redoing my 18. The fiberglass person helping me suggested glassing blocks into the stringers and then attaching the motor mounts to them. This way you are moving everything forward as a unit and not just pushing where the angle iron bolts thru the stringers. Like Steve Marr (Waleye) did in his boat. Check it out in the registry. Just my .02.

Kong
02-14-2002, 02:58 PM
Greg - I like Waleye's solution. Seems like it is a common problem. Nice 'at speed' shots! Is that an Arneson(sp?) drive? eek!

Rock on...

Kong.

MOP
02-15-2002, 04:49 PM
My 2Cents stay with the ford, last year I found a 91 16 that had been in an old mans garage for 7 years nedless to say the 302 was garbage. I got hold of a GT 40 engine sold the alum heads put the big 302 heads on it and a Blue Racer cam its hooked to a Cobra drive the engine now has 40 hours and best guess on boat is about 75-80. I prob paid to much but except for dust was like new. It turns 59.7 with a two barrel and does pretty good on fuel. I had to crap the front mount as the GT40 block had no provision so I am using the angle brackets with no probs so far. Good Luck with your venture.

Phil / Long Island

Greg
02-17-2002, 08:54 AM
Kong, I sent the pic of the motor mount to the e-mail address in your profile and it came back. If you still want it, let me know and I will be glad to send it along. Greg

Kong
02-17-2002, 08:23 PM
Greg - My error!! I am not at that e-mail address anymore. Send it to DonziSweet672aol.com. Thanks!

Greg
02-19-2002, 09:13 AM
Kong, I am sorry to say this, but my mail server does not recognize your address If I was more savy on the computer I would just post the pic here. Greg

Kong
02-19-2002, 03:19 PM
Greg - My error again..I'm really having a bad year - Can you tell? Email address again:

DonziSweet67@aol.com :rolleyes: