PDA

View Full Version : New toy in the driveway!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-09-2002, 06:52 PM
OK, the great Jeep GC tow debate is now over.
The Jeep did great bu in the long run may not have survived. She was a great tow vehicle but I felt it was time to move on.

2001 F250 XLT ext cab
4x4 Off Road package
7.3 Power Stroke Diesel. Automatic, 3;73 limited
slip, loaded up real nice...

ALMOST as happy as bringing home the 26ZX....

Been shopping all week, finally got were I needed to be on the trade, Ford gave me 4.9%.
SHOULD be a done deal Monday.
AOTHII and many other road trips in store, when are the Sarasota 2002 dates???
Bryan

Dr. Dan
02-09-2002, 07:48 PM
Congrats, Pics with the Boat when ya get some! cool.gif ...Doc

Digger
02-09-2002, 08:09 PM
congratulations Bryan, you will LOVE the Powerstroke. Couple suggestions for you:
1. go to ford-diesel.com. It is a site not unlike this, full of powerstroke (instead of Donzi) fanatics with a wealth of valuable info.
2. install an aux tranny cooler. the lower third of the radiator, devoted to tranny cooling, is not enough. the weak link in your truck is the tranny. I don't think they beefed up the tranny when they intercooled the powerstroke in 99. If it is the E4OD tranny, it needs more cooling. high temp destroys tranny fluid quickly. the above site has links to plenty of distributors that have coolers and gauges, etc.
3. recommend you resist the temptation to upgrade your power with a Banks setup or the like unless you take positive steps to beef up the tranny.
4. service the tranny at shorter intervals than recommended. If you really want to know what is going on in your tranny contact Blackstone Labs (they have a website). they will send you some sample bottles, take a good midstream sample when draining and send it in. they will analyze the sample, and send you a detailed printout of ppm of any metal that is in the fluid with recommended courses of action if anything is out of whack. they will also do engine oil if you want.
5. enjoy that great truck! you won't believe how well it pulls!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-09-2002, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the link Digger, that was pretty technical stuff for a guy like me...
Plan to read all the books tonight. No plans to upgrade anything, like the Donzi, warranty is my favorite word...
But again, thanks for the info...
She has a fresh coat of McQuires on her and I ran out of Son of a Gun on the grill!

I swear I did not notice any difference towing the boat compared to not towing! I took a big hill, and pretty much just tapped the gas on occasion at 60MPH to see the low RPM power, I was quite impressed....
AOTHII soon...
Bryan

Sam
02-09-2002, 09:25 PM
You be styling man, sounds like a great package. Your going to have to get a few extra wax pads for the kids.

Sam

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-09-2002, 09:32 PM
Thanks Mr Poodle, I love info I can use...
Mind is like an aluminum trap ya know, Nancy's is made of steel of course.

We have been shopping awhile, gave the Chevy a hard look as all will remember a month or so ago just could not get the trade numbers right, that Kelly Blue Book can kiss my ass..
And of course all vehicles are only "good" in a dealers eyes, mine was superb and I fought for every last penny. Did the deal no trade, then launched that bomb on them...

Oh and I enjoyed speaking with you the other night Mr Poodle.
I am now on my own up that hill of a ramp in KY! smile.gif
I passed your info to Bob, they depart sat evening to return home. He did appreciate the offer and may have emailed you to that effect...

The truck should be a done deal Monday eve.
Man, tough evening in the cold, walk out side and one eye sees the new truck and the other sees the DONZI.

SAM, you gave me a great chuckle.... my kids wax, NOT!

Joey does like the disable on the airbag, he has never rode up front, I let him coming home from the dealer, he is such a pistol, "our best ride ever dad", when ask why he liked it he said, "hmmmm it sits high, rattles and has a neat trunk!"
Bryan

ToonaFish
02-09-2002, 09:49 PM
Congratulations Bryan! You'll love the powerstroke... bet you've been turning it on just to hear the "buubuubuubuubuuubuu!" (I used to love watching my customers little faces glaze over at that sound!)

Digger nailed the tranny stuff (great info, thanks)... you simply cannot baby it too much in that department. You will also want to watch the paint/clearcoat/metal adjoining the window... on the heavy duty Fords, many develop a stress crack where the window dips down on the lower side. It starts in the clearcoat and spreads... it is covered under warranty... just be sure to catch it while you are still covered.

And be sure to complete and return your QCI survey when Ford mails it to you; let your salemen know that you did so... he'll remember it when you are a pain in the service drive and may actually help you out!

Bunches,
Celene 'meguiars addict'

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-09-2002, 10:06 PM
ToonaFish, thanks, MORE great info I can use.
I am still pumped up a bit, the family just went to bed. I will focus on the truck manuals with the morning coffee.
I need to check the MW Donzi site count down calendar!!! How many days to go until AOTHII???
Bryan

ToonaFish
02-09-2002, 10:13 PM
Oh, and on "dropping the trade bomb"... well, I've been a dealership brat for nearly two decades and let me say on the record... 95% of the time when purchasing a NEW car, your appraisal is actual cash value, period. Carmax and her kin were the greatest thing ever to happen to the car biz... "here is what your car is worth and here is the actual cash I will give you for it", period. Made our trade numbers much more acceptable and if they weren't, great, sell it to Carmax, buy my car, much less paperwork for me.

How often do the guys on this list agree on the exact value of a boat? (Or on the model, for that matter.) Usually give a range of a couple of thousand dollars, right? The guy putting a value on your trade is going to be wholesaling it immediately 75% of the time... and after 60 days 100% of the time. And his neck is on the line if he puts down too heavy a figure on your trade... plus, how many folks go to a Ford or a Chevy store looking for a Jeep? You'll always do the best selling it on your own, next best trading at a like dealership.

And, believe it or not, salesmen learn quickly that customers, ahem, lie. And plan their negotiations accordingly. biggrin.gif It was fun selling to generations of families... the grandson bought a truck exactly like his gdad... right down to waiting til the last minute to demand that floor mats be thrown in. Or his trade!

Bunches,
Celene 'be-back' Howard

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-09-2002, 10:33 PM
ToonaFish, I agree with all you said, my deal was a bit odd, I lemon lawed my '99 Jeep GC, got a letter in the mail from Chrysler to pick one out a new 2001 (Nov 2000), I did they paid me full MSRP on my '99, we would have kept the new 2001 forever, we loved it, but big picture with me retiring very soon I was looking for longevity in a deal and low interest %.
I will be honest and tell ya I ate a couple thousand, which I expected by end of haggling, but what I refuse to do this time and when I tried 2 months ago was to take a complete bath in a trade.
The old saying years back was "you loose a thousand when you drive off the lot," now the saying should be you loose five thousand...
I think knowing the 'head of sales guy' 12 years helped some.... but he sure is loosing hair faster than I am!
Just FYI, three days of haggling was all online, once I gave my Ford.com approval number for the 4.9% on a certain dollar amount, they KNEW I would buy today or any day if the numbers were right....
Thanks
Bryan

boldts
02-09-2002, 10:45 PM
Bryan,
Congrats on the new truck. Your just havin to much fun. BTW, The "Awakening" is exactly 3 months to the date if you read this on Saturday 2/9/02 (88 Days) biggrin.gif

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-09-2002, 10:51 PM
Scott, thanks, the last pot of coffee is still running my ticker, now on the Absolute trying to come down from the life high etc...

Thanks for the time update on AOTHII.... I can't wait, I really was sweating the Jeep, in reality she would have been fine, most likely, anyway I had talked to Poodle about him getting me up that hill from the ramp with his rig...

I hope you and the family are fine, any word on the search? You know what I refer too (starts with a D).
Do tell or email me.
See ya soon.
Bryan

Digger
02-10-2002, 02:57 AM
sounds like there was an interesting situation at the KY boat ramp...made me chuckle because ohhh how I wish my truck was four wheel drive...I've had a few "interesting" times on ramps...specifically salt water ramps at low tide ...with all the slippery organic matter making the duals spin... eek.gif

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-10-2002, 06:38 AM
Good Morn'n Digger, no interesting story about KY, but we were worried there would be this year!

I will tell ya last week we had a few tense seconds at our ramp, I was winching the boat up and the Jeep slid back about 4 inch's.
The Jeep was a great tow vehicle and always got me up the ramps, in all honesty I was outside the recommended tow numbers with her and like I said, worried about her life span with all the traveling we plan to do.
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-10-2002, 07:36 AM
Here are two low quality pictures, but it is the best I can do for now.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tuvelltruck001.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tuvelltruck002.jpg

Digger
02-10-2002, 09:24 AM
great lookin' truck! I'm sure it will provide years of faithful service.

there is no feeling worse that will make your mouth go dry quicker than being in your truck attempting to pull the boat and having it slide backwards on the ramp...the one I recall most was in Newport Harbor, CA at low tide...my old boat was around 7000 lbs, but not enough weight on the tongue to get good traction on the duals...so "THERE I WAS" beginning to skid, sliding back, when this calorically challenged (read: FAT, he went about 350) wiseguy hollers "yer going to launch the truck!" from the sidelines...in a flash of thought, I quickly established that rather than yell something stupid back at the guy, I would ask him to get in the back of my truck. which he did, wheezing his way over the tailgate...and...TAA DAAHHH! enough weight was over the rear to give me the traction I needed and out the boat came biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Hardonzi
02-10-2002, 09:46 AM
Digger,You hit the nail on the head.Now I have a 4x4 F-250 crewcab V10,It`s a monster of a truck but I no longer have to sweat out ramps,low tide,or that green snot (algae)that loves boat ramps.
Bryan,THAT TRUCKS THE BOMB!!!!!!!

Brad Lyon
02-10-2002, 11:48 AM
Bryan,

Great choice. I have a '99 F350 crew cab dually. The truck has been great, the only thing I do not like about the truck is hand washing all of the time, no automatic car washes with dually's.

Brad

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-10-2002, 12:17 PM
Car wash sounds great!
I never owned a vehicle that I could not reach the center of the windshield before!!
I will say allot in the manual about the diesel was greek to me, getting ready to pop the hood and find everything.
I crew cab would have been nice but most were completely loaded and out of my range, they are sweet...

Anyone own the portable bed tent they show on the Ford site for $175 bucks, looks neat.

Poodle, you have email.

Bryan

Brad Lyon
02-10-2002, 01:28 PM
Bryan,

Did you get the 6' or 8' box. The picture looks like it is the short box. If you got the long box and are looking for a Tonneau cover I have one that I used for about a month than I got a fiberglass cap. It cost me $250 new I will let it go for $100 plus shipping if you are interested. If so send me a email at b.lyon@birmingham-hydraulics.com

Brad

Dr. Dan
02-10-2002, 02:50 PM
Bryan, Nice Truck, I love Black! My 1993 Lightning is Black! Question, for AOTH II do we need 4 Wheel Drive for that ramp? I was going to haul it with the Lightning, but not if I'll be "Launching The Truck", let me know! This thing gets stuck on anything, although it did great on the Excellent Ramps in Sarasota! Thanks for the input guys!.. wink.gif ...Doc

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-10-2002, 04:25 PM
The ramp is fine, the hill after the water is a bit large, I was worried about the Jeep, thats all.
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-10-2002, 06:40 PM
Brad, unsure which box???
On a tape measure she is 7 feet exactly!
So is that the 6 or 8???
I swear, 7 feet exactly!
Bryan

ToonaFish
02-10-2002, 06:58 PM
It's a short box...

Bunches,
Celene 'confused by male measurements'

Like... a one ton truck doesn't weigh one ton?

harbormaster
02-10-2002, 07:01 PM
Bryan,
Check this tent...

http://www.loftyshelters.com/IdeaFrame.htm

SS18
02-10-2002, 07:01 PM
No doubt she is a short bed but she is still pretty! Good luck with investment! Rhino coat for a bed liner would be awesome (sprayed in the best)
Jim in NJ

Rick
02-10-2002, 08:08 PM
Congratulations Bryan! I have a 99' Powerstroke F250 Crew Cab 103,500 miles. I figure it's just getting broken in. Change the oil every 3000, transmission every 30000, fuel filter every 15000, and add radiator conditoner every 15000. I just love that truck! You will enjoy it! Mine is a two wheel drive so I have to be careful on the ramps. I drive on the highway too much to justify the 4X4. That Garrett whistle is just awesome. Enjoy!!! Rick

Shanghied Again
02-11-2002, 05:06 AM
Bryan, Congradulations on the new truck, You are going to love pulling your boat with that puppy, Just got home from the AC boat show pulling my boat home from the NJPPC display. My truck is an older dually Ford diesel but still strong. The Best! biggrin.gif

Jake
02-11-2002, 08:01 AM
Bryan,

Jake
02-11-2002, 08:20 AM
Great truck Bryan! I have used those to tow and they are great. What was said about getting an actual cash value on a trade is completely true. I run into it every day. Unfortunately what you said about losing $5,000 when you drive off the lot is also very accurate. Got luck with the truck and enjoy it.

Ozarkboater
02-11-2002, 08:41 AM
Bryan,

Congrats, it is a verry nice truck. I will be hopping to see it down at LOTO this year with boat in tow.

Seya

Cramer biggrin.gif

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-11-2002, 03:45 PM
Thanks for all the inputs and great comments.
Still haven't closed the deal, they said they would call... Maybe they forgot I have had their truck for 3 days! I have called them twice, they better crap or get off the pot or I may just return it and order a red one from Ford.

Finding Diesel fuel appeared to be a chore, when low and behold I found some 2 miles from the house and two blocks from work! :)

HARBORMASTER, great link we may just buy something from them, the wife is the out doors type, we usually rent cabins etc since we don't have camping supplies. Thanks,

DIGGER the FORD-DIESEL site will quickly educate me... I wonder if these guys are overly possessed like Donzi guys. They make us look normal!

JAKE, I hear ya and respect the business, but dealer to dealer on cash value for a vehicle varied a couple thousand bucks... we all want a fair deal, I expect them to make money and stay in business. Just had to look hard for what I think is a fair shake... Let me just say the guy accrossed the road from me, top #1 to 3 salesman for a LARGE chevy dealer told me he "breaks it off into the publics butt daily, he made almost a $100K selling new used cars.
Thanks again all, Bryan

UPDATE: THEY JUST GOT A NEW CREW CAB F350 IN, I MAY RETURN THIS ONE! :)
Last vehicle for retirement so another grand may make the difference! I will keep ya posted!

roadtrip se
02-11-2002, 05:34 PM
Two words: POWESRSTROKE GOOD!

Can't stop at that though! Stay with the 3/4 ton, unless you got your vision on a 33ZX. My last truck was a one ton and the springs could airlift you at times. Not worth it unless you really need the capacity. I like keeping my fillings intact when we cross the tracks in the Excursion.

Peace my friend, Todd

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-11-2002, 06:45 PM
ROADTRIP, as always, great to hear from ya, Joey and I just returned from viewing this Crew Cab they just got in, their HOT one! LOL...
100 mile round trip to realize yeah it was a deal alright, invoice said XLT, truck was an XL, it looked like a contractor truck etc... I mean it was nice but I need some nice stuff, especially power mirrors....
So this one stays....
I will write the check in the a.m.
Bryan

Brad Lyon
02-11-2002, 09:08 PM
Bryan,

If you have not seen or thought about the bumper covers available for the Super Duty series truck, here is a couple of pictures of mine. I also sanded the chrome off of the grill and painted the whole grill the same color as the truck then added the fog lights. Just finished it last weekend. Makes a big differance, been waiting a long time to get this done.

Brad

http://www.donzi.net/photos/blyon350.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/blyon351.jpg

Dr. Dan
02-11-2002, 09:16 PM
Brad, nice looking Rig, looks like you can haul some people in that puppy too! eek! ...Doc

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-11-2002, 09:36 PM
BRAD, sweet rig!
I already have the Donzi decals for the new truck!
Nancy added a 2"x6" red Donzi logo to her back window... she is as ate up as me....
Our frontend will have to do for now, plus we have the Fog/driving lights with the 4x4 package.
I swear I thought I would be grounded when Nancy got home tonight for the final numbers! She said a few sweet things and gave me green light checkbook status....
We close the deal for sure in the a.m.

Back to your post, I saw something about the grill when ordering/building your own online, is that the deal or was your custom made?
Thanks
Bryan

Brad Lyon
02-11-2002, 09:44 PM
Bryan,

After I saw how the front and rear bumper covers looked painted the same color as the truck I thought why not sand all of the chrome plating off of the grill and I painted it as well. Looks great, and today I saw a black truck where the owner did the same and it looks even better with everything all black!

Brad

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-11-2002, 10:09 PM
Your killing me, I went out and looked at the truck, your right, all black would be sweet....

Bring sand paper, hired help and a mobile garage to AOTHII, they can do it while we boat!
Thanks, that idea is lock in...

Scot Bolts you have email....

HARBORMASTER, thanks for the website upgrade, I like some of the new features.... you da man!
Thanks, Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-12-2002, 01:33 PM
Bought and paid for! We did the deal today!

Damn them fabric protection sales girls are hot! Told her I would add it if she took of her top! Needless to say I didn't buy it! :)
She was a hottie though!!!
I tried...

I did opt for the long ext warranty, with retirement closing in and being a boat owner I figured it was cost justified!
Bryan

Digger
02-12-2002, 01:42 PM
right on Bryan!
Powerstroke+Donzi=as good as it gets!

almost forgot, do a search for glow plug relay problems in the ford-diesel site. They used to fail quite a bit in my model years, don't know about the newer ones. good part is they are easy to replace if it goes bad.
Enjoy!!

2biguns
02-12-2002, 01:58 PM
Here's my advice (which, together with 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee at the local cafe):

1. Don't buy fuel from a mom and pop store. If they don't sell a LOT of fuel, you run the chance of water. I am lucky enough to live near a station whose owner has a contract with our local power co-op, so he runs through several thousand gallons a week.

2. Keep a spare fuel filter in the tool box. You'll never know when you might need it and it's a lifesaver. Plus, it's simple to change out (great instructions on the Ford Diesel site listed above).

3. K&N makes a great air filter replacement.

4. Keep a pair of gloves in tool box/under seat for refueling. Diesel will stay on your hands for days.

I've got a '99.5 F250 Superduty 4x4 that has 50k and is just getting broke in. I'll never own anything else.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-12-2002, 02:22 PM
2BIGUNS, thanks, I will do all that. Thanks...
The Ford Diesel web site is awesome....
This whole diesel thing will be a huge learning curve for me. Starting fresh will give me some time...

Is all that cold weather stuff really true?

Anyway, I will learn, I couldn't spell Donzi two years ago... now it is my favorite word.

And PSD is my favorite letters!
Bryan

2biguns
02-12-2002, 03:10 PM
My PSD is the first non-semi diesel I have ever driven, so I too am a novice.

If you really want to feel stupid, post something on the diesel site about cold weather and some a**hole from the Yukon or someother desolate spot in the Great White North will tell you about 70 degree below zero days when his morning pee would freeze before it hit the ground. Hell, I was just wondering how to plug in the engine heater one day and made the mistake of asking. It quickly deteriorated into a north v. south discussion. I finally excused myself from the debate, using the excuse that the welfare lady was at the door and I had to go find out whether they had made a decision of whether my daughter could continue to draw her check as they have found out that she is also my niece.

At least on the Donzi site, you can ask a stupid question and not be chastised for not having committed to memory the proper spark advance for a 1971 Chevy big block.

Oh, by the way, I have never had a cold weather problem, even though the coldest it has been down here (since I bought my truck) is around 5 degrees. Just pay attention to the glow plug light and don't crank it until the little beauty goes off.
:D

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-12-2002, 03:20 PM
2BIGUNS, thanks for that last post.. I think I will just read on that site vice posting, I will click and save your email address if it is available...

I have yet to find the water seperator! Or the block cord!!! :)
I will say that is the oil filter from hell! LOL
Time will get me there, it was hard enough to take a day off to close the deal, let alone write a fat check...
now in my free time I can focus on learning about her.
Thanks allot.
Bryan

Digger
02-13-2002, 04:53 PM
Bryan, block heater plug should be on the right side (as you look at it) of the radiator, up near the top. It should have a protective rubber boot on it. or maybe I'm talking out my butt because I'm describing where it is on my 95 truck. :confused:
you will know if the glow plug is working by seeing a large voltage drop right after you turn the ignition on, you will also see a significant voltage increase after your "wait to start" light has turned off, that is because the glow plugs are still getting juice after the light goes out for another 5-20 or so seconds. this is normal.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-13-2002, 05:06 PM
DIGGER thanks, I will find it.... cold front rolling in so I will play with her when it warms up...
My second fuel stop so I could check mileage after a couple hundred miles, 17.65mpg
I am certainly pleased... she is a cool rig. I think the mirrors suck so I will be getting the bigger ones soon...

Now if I could just tow to a ramp and run the Donzi! Truck weighs 8880 lbs, a fewmore than the boat so I doubt if I would ever get dragged in!!!
:)
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-13-2002, 07:35 PM
Poodle, the mirror numbers sound right on, I will get them soon, the stock aren't to bad for towing but they need to be longer up/down, I sit pretty high and really notice the blind spot low with these mirrors...
As far as the MPG, I drive like I always do, 70mph is about 1900 RPM, and leaving town is stop/go... I will monitor the milage and keep ya posted...
Thanks. Bryan

Brad Lyon
02-13-2002, 08:34 PM
Bryan,

I took some pictures of my truck for the first time with the new paint and clearcoat on the grill. Sorry I had to show it to somebody. Remember, that black one I saw with the high gloss black air dam and grill looked really great!

Brad

http://www.donzi.net/photos/blyon476.jpg

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-13-2002, 09:20 PM
Very nice Brad....
Did I not answer your email? It has been a crazy week for me.
I hope to see her in person in KY.... I will be looking for a car wash in Somerset prior to lake arrival...
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-14-2002, 02:38 PM
Yep, I know where you mean I think, just accross and down from Walmart!

B et al??? I give? LOL What does that mean?

Bryan

Digger
02-14-2002, 03:00 PM
I think 'et al" is Latin for "and everybody else" or something, or maybe some Israeli airline. :rolleyes: ....someone throw a net over me, its been a long week

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-14-2002, 03:24 PM
I will say this since we are on Somerset KY,
ATTENTION AOTH guys...
when you get to the traffic circle GO STRAIGHT, one of our folks got lost, I was unsure but GPS was pointing left so that is how I went.... I made it others did not.......
Bryan