PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting oil off gelcoat.

McGary911
03-11-2003, 05:37 PM
After dragging my boat back 400 miles, I realized that my friend's truck had a leak in the differential. There are some spots of gear oil on the hull now. Most of it came off with a little dish detergent, but you can still see some ghost spots that will make me insane. I haven't started with any more aggressive cleaners yet, but figured I'd ask for some advice before I did. At least he had just changed the oil, so it was clean. Any ideas?

And another thing. Can someone please tell me what is wrong with my bilge blower :confused: :confused:
http://www.donzi.net/photos/jmcgary40.jpg

Yeah....I gotta fix that :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Dont know why the prev owner had that set up...

Thanks

BillG
03-11-2003, 05:46 PM
Maybe he thought it was perpetual motion if hooked up that way.
Bill G

olemissalum
03-11-2003, 05:48 PM
I had spots of diesel oil on mine after I had it delivered and the only way I could remove totally was rubbing compound(gently) then polishing compound then a few coats of wax. In other words lots of elbow grease wink

HyperDonzi
03-11-2003, 05:57 PM
That bilge blower looks like an electric turbo charger!!!

MOP
03-11-2003, 06:45 PM
The bilge blower is easy,intake hose to the lowest point in the bilge and exhaust to the rear facing cowl vent. The oil stains can drive you crazy, try some of the following, try putting regular dish detergent without water, let it sit for a while it has very good grease cutting qaulities. If that does not do the trick try dry cleaning fluid or acetone on a clean rag use chemical gloves gloves its alot tougher on you skin than you think.

P.S. Good old dish detergent it first rubbed in without water on black greasy hands will amaze most of you. I have used Ivory for many years, it will even get the crud from under finger nails if worked in. The trick is use it straight no water then wash.

<small>[ March 11, 2003, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: M.O.P. ]</small>

Rootsy
03-11-2003, 06:47 PM
minnesota ya say? looks like that poor bilge blower was freezing up there and huddled itself in the corner trying to stay warm! bet it'll be your best friend now.. :D

Dredgeking
03-11-2003, 07:03 PM
maybe try some simple green or an orange degreaser. they are not as harsh, but work very well.

Dr. Dan
03-11-2003, 07:36 PM
wink Mac..........Well I have ya beat, I managed to get my entire Transmission to blow all over my brand new cover and the Hull on the way out to my first Awakening of the Horses! Yuk, it sucked to say the least... eek! But this is what I used and still do! First, clean the hull with detergent soap, I use Ivory Liquid Dish Soap, it cuts grease pretty well...then once the Hull is as clean as it gets, go over the whole Hull with Meguiars Mirror Glaze 50 -
One StepCleaner/Wax! :rolleyes: It worked great....and believe me, our hull was more brown than white! For the cover I just used the Dishsoap and my standard Extension Boat Brush (soft bristle) it worked fine, and no stains! Thanks to Cliff and Brad Verd....our weekend was Fantastic....and I went cleaning crazy once we got back to Pa. :p Good Luck.........Doc

DUCATIF1
03-11-2003, 07:41 PM
Try some prep sol it should take it right off without damaging finish. By the way someone had told me how well shampoo takes grease off your hands better than soaps and it seams to work. To any of you guys that do heavy mechanical work did you ever notice how much cleaner your hands are after you have washed your hair?? Sounds crazy but it works. Maybe that is why I am balding??

Wildfire
03-11-2003, 08:12 PM
If you hook the bilge blower up to your carb intake, you'll get 50 extra HP!

At least that is what those idiots on eBay would have you believe - LOL.