PDA

View Full Version : 18's come with windshields?

DUCATIF1
03-10-2003, 11:54 PM
Did 18's come with windshileds or are there windshields available? I have been told it would be useless but think I would like the look?? I am pretty sure I have seen one or 2 with shield. Thanks

riverrat
03-11-2003, 02:22 AM
yes they do & did there are many of them on the registry.

Ranman
03-11-2003, 09:30 AM
I know that it's really tough to see, but if you look really closely, you'll notice that my 18 does indeed have a factory windshield.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/horsehorse04.jpg

<small>[ March 11, 2003, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Ranman ]</small>

olredalert
03-11-2003, 09:38 AM
-----If you spotted Randys windshield in there somewhere,that is the new style available today(I think).Older style is a two piece wrap-around affair,that was made by Taylormade.Older style is very cool as well.Sort of nostalgic,and probably drier as it is quite a bit taller...just....windy....ol red!.....Bill S

Dredgeking
03-11-2003, 09:44 AM
the donzi websiet even shows 16's with windshields. when did they start that? i just can't put a windshield on my 16.

McGary911
03-11-2003, 10:32 AM
DucatiF1, when I was considering an 18', I would have preferred one with the windshield. I would be running in the atlantic a bit and if i took a wave over the bow, it would keep a lot of water out of the cockpit as opposed to no windshield. If i recall you would be in the LI sound, so its something to consider. As for blocking the wind, all it does is shoot more wind directly into your face. As for looks, i like them both.

Ranman
03-11-2003, 01:06 PM
The windshield will block a small wave that comes over the bow if you are idling around in very choppy conditions. If a big one comes over the bow though, the windshield has an uncanny ability to channel the water directly into your face. The windshield also diverts a whippy sort of wind into your face at speed. Since I am tall, my eyes are above this whippy wind window and up in the "clean" air. I sometimes don't even like to wear glasses as a direct constant wind is easier for my eyes to deal with than with the turbulance created by the sunglasses.

Oh, and don't bother recommending any sort of wrap-around sunglasses like the Oakleys. I actually HAVE a sense of style and would hate to have to adopt Woodsy's avatar. :D

riverrat
03-11-2003, 01:33 PM
Ranman, I could hardly make out that windshield with Donzi Jenn in the photo LOL eek!
the rat

<small>[ March 11, 2003, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: riverrat ]</small>

KMLFAMILY
03-11-2003, 03:54 PM
And then there is this one ! :rolleyes:

http://www.yachtworld.com/listing/yw_display_photo.jsp?boat_id=1057078&boatname=18%27+Donzi+&photo_name=null&photo=1

BERTRAM BOY
03-11-2003, 04:58 PM
Ol Red,
I'm hate to do this, but I have to disagree with you on the maker of the older windsheilds.
The one on my 16 says it was made by American Marine Products in Fort Lauderdale.......
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

DUCATIF1
03-11-2003, 07:48 PM
I guess my question should have been; How many different types came from factory as pics I have seen all appear different. I keep getting drawn to 18's due to availability and pricing. Acctually after seeing what that 18 attracted as a hood ornament it might sway my decision although my wife might want something else in a thong out front. Thanks Brian

mattyboy
03-11-2003, 08:06 PM
Randy, I will never argue with you again the windshield looks great on your boat wink

Matt

olredalert
03-11-2003, 08:14 PM
BB,

------No problem as I had read where Scott also saw a different name on his Hornet windshield.I would love to know how many suppliers there were for the old style windshields.
------The maroon DONZI pictured appears to have a windshield thats a little too wide.It gets awfully close to the rail.It also appears a little too tall.I wonder if this could be a windshield for a different model,possibly even a different brand boat adapted to this DONZI.Boot stripe is at water level as well as the front light doesnt appear to be the regular Perko.Maybe this boat was delivered to europe originally?..........ol red!.......Bill S

Barry Phillips
03-12-2003, 03:19 PM
My Classic 18 has a windshield which was a $550.00 option when I ordered the boat in the spring of 97. I t has a brushed aluminum frame with tempered glass lights much more scratch resistant than plexi, but you are buying it for looks, forget about any wind protection. I have been cut off by inconsiderate boaters in no wake zones and a good wave well end up in your lap, just ask CDMA. I have seen Stainless units on older 18s mainly the OMC boats, one of the few things OMC got right. The positive is that Taylor Made makes the current unit so replacements should be easy in case of a mishap.

SO-SLO

harbormaster
03-13-2003, 08:31 AM
They are mainly for looks. I have a '95 18 with one. You can set your coke can down behind the windshield and it will stay. Works much better than a weenie bar...

knee deep
03-15-2003, 04:52 AM
I'm in agreement with Ol' Red, the windshield on this boat appears to be very similar to the original style but too high. I spent my summmers on Lake Muskoka in Northern Ontario and the dealer there had a penchant for 16's and 18's with windshields. There is some question as to whether or not they were "real" Donzi's or Shepherd Donzi's, a boat builder who apparently built under licence. I would love to find one of those original "fly" eye windshields for mine.......thats the Donzi "look" I recall from my youth many Muskoka moons ago..........

Fish boy
03-15-2003, 08:05 AM
Ranman,
is there a boat in the picture?? :D

mattyboy
03-15-2003, 08:17 AM
Man they wanted to make that Donzi look like a chris craft uhhh!!!! I have reached this conclusion on windshields on the 18.
if the boat is all white, with stripes I like with a windshield
If the hull is a color over white or all the same color(ie red) with a white deck and stripes I like it better without a windshield
this might sound crazy , and I'm not drinkin,
but give it a try
Randy's and Harbor's boats look awesome
but then look at Pearson's boat or Clayman's boat and picture it with a windshield.
and any boat that is graced by Donzi Jenn is gonna look good

Matt
a proud member of the DOSFTPOAATCOWB
DONZI OWNERS SOCIETY FOR THE PROTECTION OF AND AGAINT THE CRUELTY OF WEENIE BARS

<small>[ March 15, 2003, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: mattyboy ]</small>