PDA

View Full Version : Flare Rings - Yea or Nay?

Rootsy
05-28-2003, 05:54 PM
On the subject of prop testing, and props in general for performance boating...

i've only ever run 4 props without flare rings - the 25 cleaver i had, both Quad IV O/T's i've tested and cliff's 24 quad IV (which i freakin loved)...

My 25 quad IV arrived today and after a conversation with hydromotive yesterday they did not have a prop in stock without a flare ring and the machinist had gone home for the day... therefore i was left with a prop with a partial flare ring (they offer a full, partial and none)... SO... that is what i took since i REALLY REALLY REALLY need a prop to get from point A to point B and back in Kentucky this weekend eh... wink

hydromotive's feeling is that a flare ring costs you 2 - 3 mph so don't run one unless you really need to... With straight thru-hull exhaust i honestly do not really need one (no exhaust thru prop) and i have no out of the hole issues with the 24 quad IV. Therefore is this no flare ring opinion totally factual on our hulls at our speeds? Will removal actually result in a significant, measurable difference in top end performance?

if the 25 puts me where i need to, and want to be for rpm, i am gonna keep it.. otherwise she'll go back for a 26 at which time i will have the flare removed (costs nothing). If i do keep the 25 is it worth modifying or should i just leave well enough alone? :confused:

there, I think that's all folks! :rolleyes:

feel free to exbound all knowledge and opinions, please :D

Jamie

Fish boy
05-28-2003, 10:18 PM
Ok, dumb question but what is a flare ring??

Rootsy
06-02-2003, 11:21 AM
The diffuser ring is the flare at the end of the props outer hub (where blades are attached). the diffuser ring aids in getting on plane by reducing ventilation, particularly from exhaust gases passing through the propeller.

MOP
06-03-2003, 07:59 AM
The way defuser rings were explained to me way back in school was at speed it helps to pull the exhaust gases out better. I am pretty sure it does help, I noted a post awhile back that by leaving the Y pipe hooked up with transom exhaust the speed was actually increased. I also feel that over the hub may help pull exhaust through due to the suction of the blades near the hub. With through transom and no Y it may hurt slightly. Where are our prop techies?