PDA

View Full Version : I just bought a Bayliner!!

penbroke
05-27-2003, 09:37 PM
I have an opertunity to buy this:

http://www.donzi.net/photos/penbroke_drive_1.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/penbroke_drive_2.jpg

For cheap. Unfortunatly it is attached to this:

http://www.donzi.net/photos/penbroke_drive_3.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/penbroke_drive_4a.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/penbroke_drive_5.jpg

Now I like to see a Bayliner go to the junk pile as much as the other guy but I don't need the trouble if I can't use it.

Questions:
a) The last character in the drive serial number is a lightly stamped "D". Is it a 270D with 2.15:1 reduction?
b) I want to use this on my '66 18 that has a 200B with 1.59:1 reduction. Can the ratio be changed? Will the internal parts from the 200 fit/work in the 270?
c) Will the 270 drive fit on my existing transom shield?
d) Will the 270 transom shield fit my existing cutout?
e) Can power trim be added to the 270?
f) What is the real advantage of the 270 over the 200?
g) Is this even worth considering?

As always ANY input/advice is appreciated.

Frank
Looking for a place to dig a hole...

MOP
05-27-2003, 11:30 PM
How Cheap? What engine? Fresh or Salt? Might be worth picking up just to flip it to someone else! Drive looks real good.

penbroke
05-28-2003, 07:16 AM
How Cheap? $200 complete no trailer.

What engine? Volvo 4 cyl. Don't know much more than that. Don't really care.

Fresh or Salt? Fresh

The boat sunk in front of the owners house and sloshed around on the beach for a couple of days. He brought it directly to a dealer and paid $450 to to get it dried out and running again. It appears that the dealer did nothing. That was 3-4 years ago. It has been sitting since. The boat is an '83.

Frank
I think I may need a backhoe for this one. :D

MOP
05-28-2003, 08:30 AM
Except for the trouble of getting rid of the corpse it is a stunning deal. The ratio change I would not bother with, I would buy it and sell it.

penbroke
05-28-2003, 09:08 AM
Yeah but, I could use many of the parts... if they will work on my boat?

Frank

Ralph Savarese
05-28-2003, 09:46 AM
Some times you can find gears on e bay check it out the drive is defenitly worth it it is the prop shaft gears that get changed no big deal

penbroke
05-30-2003, 08:51 PM
Just brought it home. Gave up the only nice evening for a boat ride we have in a week to pick up this piece of crap and it is supposed to rain all weekend too. Oh well, should be worth it.

I still looking for input on interchanegability between the two drives. What will and what won't work. (see first post)

Somebody must have done this before??

Frank
Anybody need a 19 foot planter? wink

MOP
05-30-2003, 09:35 PM
I guess since its going to be so wet this week you will drag it in the barn, compound and wax that beauty! Waiting with bated breath for the photos of your new aquisition.

I am pretty sure the swap will be real easy, like Ralph said you will need a bottom set of gears. I tried to look in the books we have to see what you might run into, not sure but it may be a bolt job. I think after the 100 drives and before the late suff the transom shields were pretty much the same. Measure the mount yoke it may be a pull pin on. Rots of Ruck! Look forward to your updates.

penbroke
05-30-2003, 10:24 PM
It's in the barn now as I will have to pay by the pound to take it to the dump and we are due for 2+ inces of rain this weekend. I can't believe how much water the seats soaked up already. I also don't want to be seen with it!

Bonus: The anchor light found in the bildge appears to be the correct Perko unit for the Donzi! I needed one.

Additional bonus: Found a cheap pair of wire stripper/crimpers in the bildge as well. My experience says finding a forgotten (un-loved) tool is good luck.

After only one run after my spring's efforts on the 18, it looks like I may need shorter gears to spin the 23p prop I have on it now? I'm still not 100% sure it is a "D" with the short gears. The tilt actuator and other pieces/parts should be worth the price of admission.

The 4 cyl OHC Volvo engine appears to have some value or at least many good parts?? I'm going to try to sell it if I can to cover the dump fees but if anybody can use anything from it I won't tell...

Frank
Sawzall or buffer.... sawzall or buffer. I just can't decide.

MOP
05-30-2003, 11:33 PM
The motor is an AQ 40 series, it was a bullet proof little bugger. They were the look Ma no motor mount ones, See if it will turn over, you did say they had it running. You may be able save it and sell it. It looks like it did some time in salt, Unless you meant F/W cooled. I have a hunch the drive will be a swap except for the gear change. Got a spare tilt shoe, I think Matty is still looking.

penbroke
05-31-2003, 12:23 PM
M.O.P.:
They were the look Ma no motor mount ones, PLEASE tell me it's NOT just hanging from the transom shield. If so, how is the red part (bell housing) attached to the white part (transom shield)?

Frank
Looking for an overhead beam.

penbroke
05-31-2003, 02:12 PM
Never mind, I see it now.

It turns over easily with a wrench. No starter included in the deal.

Frank

HyperDonzi
05-31-2003, 02:24 PM
Am I on Donzi.net? wink wink

You may just want to tie a rope to it, drain the gas and pull it to the middle of the lake, then pull the plug wink

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
05-31-2003, 03:21 PM
Yeah. Duct tape some heavy plastic sheeting on the transom, late on a moonless night, tow it out to a nice deep spot, pop the plastic with a boat hook, and Voila! End of disposal problem.

FR :p

Oh, yeah, don't forget to untie the tow rope! LOL

MOP
05-31-2003, 05:11 PM
Ah Ha! I see you were sceptical, it hangs on the O rings in the transom shield an another small donut bottom of bell housing. That motor will go in any older model Volvo car it is worth a few bucks. I would get it running and make more $$$! More 2 Cents that should make this whole thing more profitable.

penbroke
05-31-2003, 07:58 PM
Shame on you guys for suggesting I dump something as nasty as a Bayslimer in MY lake! I'm trying to get it OFF the lake and far, far away. And out of my garage for that matter. My 18 is sitting out in the rain tonight so I can work on this piece of crap.

The drive is off, transom shield loose, motor mounting bolts loose, most of the interior is out except the floor. No help today so I couldn't get the motor out but it is ready for a chain.

The drive is a D (2.15:1) and all the major pieces are in great shape. So far I have noticed only minor design changes from the 200 to the 270. Looks like any or all of it will bolt up nicely. Yea!

Frank
Now where did I leave my sawzall?