PDA

View Full Version : The saga continues....

olemissalum
03-09-2003, 08:11 PM
Well I first day out and had a blast!!! Got her up to 67 with 4 of us in the boat and over 3'4's of a tank. Man is it a fun boat to drive. Made it to Tomahawk's dock and met him and after a brief introduction decided to take him for a ride. Get in the boat, puxh away from the dock and.... NOTHING!!!! this happened yesterday and turned out to be a fuel filter so after changing it in the driveway fired right up and off to the lake we went. After getting back to the dock pulled the new fuel filter and had some sludge in the bottom. Not having another filter decided to empty this one and put it back on. Here is where it is puzzling, after trying to crank it and getting no start pulled fuel filter off and it there was no fuel in the filter??????? Tomahawk put some fuel in it from a can and still would not start. Tom then took time out of his day and drove me to the truck(an hour trip) and then pulled me to a launch that was right across from his house. Can not say thanks enough to him!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will try another filter in the morning and will treat the fuel and fill her up and try again. I put STA-BIL in the tank when I got the boat so????? All in all the trip was worth and after riding in the boat is all worth it :D :D :D

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-09-2003, 08:33 PM
OLEMISS, on our boat it takes a few cranks with an empty filter (I had to learn), after winterizing I pull the old and put on a new, but from reading I have learned to do as Tom did yours, fill with fresh gas and reinstall when I change them. Boat will start faster than you can flip the key over, that is the norm for my 502.
The sludge part is concerning, an almost new boat should not be pupming anything of that sort.
I feel for ya man.
Therefore I won't share my day and goals we met.
Hang in there and keep us posted.
Bryan

Dredgeking
03-09-2003, 09:16 PM
i just pumped all the old fuel out of my tank before i started it up. took a bit of time, but think it was worth it. if you have sludge, then it could be clogging things up almost anywhere.

olemissalum
03-09-2003, 09:16 PM
Come on Bryan, I want to know how that new prop worked!!!! I am not discouraged at all, in fact after my first ride I can't wait till next time!!!

olemissalum
03-09-2003, 09:19 PM
Maybe I should not have said "sludge" There was a little bit or water mixture at bottom of filter( which looked like old gas, maybe I did not mix the STA-BIL in right amount since I did not know how much was exactly in the tank) I really think a new filter will cure it, what concerned me was why it would not prime after pouring old filter out???

ToonaFish
03-09-2003, 09:21 PM
*Note to self, order yet another Donzi Merit Badge for Tomahawk...

Cuda
03-09-2003, 10:41 PM
Will sta-bil work after the fact? I thought it was only for prevention.

BigGrizzly
03-10-2003, 12:32 AM
Sta-Bil does not5 work after the fact. What bothers me is there has to be an awful lot of water and crud to prevent the engine from running. you may have a restriction or line blockage. up to and including vent tube. It could even be a coil or resister breaking down as it gets hot. all the above could let it start after it has been sitting. You have been having this go and no restart problem from the beginning. Good luck with the filter tho.

Tomahawk
03-10-2003, 05:28 AM
The motor is a 502 Mag EFI. Seemed to run fine up to here. Shut it off and upon restart, about 20 minutes later, it would fire off, burble for a couple seconds and quit. Would do this repeatedly but wouldn't stay running. It's like it wanted to start and run but couldn't.

BUIZILLA
03-10-2003, 06:43 AM
Check the fuel pressure regulator. Maybe it picked up some trash and the rail pressure can't be maintained. Tomahawks analysis would lead me there first..
Also, some, not all, inline electric high pressure fuel pumps have strainers, or small internal filters on the inbound side, sometimes in the banjo bolt itself...

J

olemissalum
03-10-2003, 10:29 AM
Bright and early this morning off to marina to buy new fuel filters(note I said more than one wink ) Get home, screw new one on and she is off and running. Will from now on keep a spare on board. Treated fuel with STP gas treatment incase there is more water and will fill up this weekend. Hope this does it. Thanks again Tomahawk!!!

Fish boy
03-10-2003, 10:48 AM
Good luck olemiss, hope that did the trick

riverrat
03-13-2003, 01:08 AM
no swimming this time & that's a good thing! looks like your getting there.

the rat :D