PDA

View Full Version : Headers for a 16?

Dredgeking
03-09-2003, 07:36 PM
does someone make headers for a 16 with a 350 that will fit in the original thru-hull holes? i have old cast exhaust manifolds and hate the way they look and they get in the way.

Rootsy
03-09-2003, 08:51 PM
Dredge,

I have IMCO M-72 risers on my stock merc center riser manifolds... they line up exactly with the original holes provided by Donzi... Sam is doing Stainless Marine... if you have a merc setup the holes are in a set location relative to the engine and getting aftermarket exhasut is pretty straight forward.. no hatch clearance issues on a stock motor location. if you have a volvo or omc setup then i am not sure but i would venture to guess that you'll need to cut new holes.. they will exit just under the rub rail like an inch or two...

Dredgeking
03-09-2003, 09:03 PM
hmmm. the engine is an after market GM 350 with the original volvo 270 drive. i wonder if the engine location would be the same as an original stock 350 back in 1977? damn. maybe i would be opening a can of worms. i wouldn't feel comfortable ordering a pair unless i knew everything would fit. damn. i miss the standard bravo setup already.

is stainless marine a good place for parts?

thanks for your input.

Sam
03-09-2003, 09:14 PM
If your interested I can send you some pics in a couple of weeks. Jamie and I are pulling my 350 out for a couple of chnages, one of which is a Stainless Marine system.

Sam

Rootsy
03-09-2003, 09:24 PM
or you could just get 4 inch exhaust tips??? on the stock merc setup and X dim location the exhaust exits under the rub rail... i believe there is a diagram floating around for it somewhere and stainless marine is a class act... they can set you up..

Jamie

Dredgeking
03-09-2003, 09:27 PM
poodle and sam, i would like to see pics. i think i'll need to see the same setup working. does someone other than stainless marine make a header? i'll see if i can post pics of my current setup. this is the weirdest manifold i've seen. the exhaust holes are almost level and straight back from the manifold. there is no riser. weird.

Dredgeking
03-09-2003, 09:30 PM
poodle, i did try to email you , but i was told the function is not available.

BUIZILLA
03-09-2003, 09:31 PM
DK, exactly what manifolds / risers do you have now? I don't think you indicated what brand/configuration your starting with...*cast* manifolds covers a BIG territory. Any pic's of those creatures??

J

gotta luv a guy that hits the catalogs before the ramp induction ceremony

Dredgeking
03-10-2003, 08:06 AM
here is a pic of whatever manifolds i have. funniest looking things i've ever seen.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/dk8.jpg

Rootsy
03-10-2003, 08:56 AM
huh, looks like old mercruiser log style manifolds... if you think the center risers are heavy... whew... get rid of those things... they are WAY restrictive...

get the block casting number off of the bellhousing flange behind the cylinder head too... it'll help you decipher which motor you actually have from GM. if you pop a valve cover you can get a cylinder head casting number also... www.mortec.com (http://www.mortec.com) has all the numbers and corresponding info

<small>[ March 10, 2003, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Rootsy ]</small>

olredalert
03-10-2003, 09:24 AM
-----Those are the same exhaust manifolds and risers that I am just now removing from my small block/TRS combo.Im installing merc center riser manifolds with stainless risers from Rex Marine.This was motivated somewhat by finances.
-----The risers are 4 inch.It appears as though there is very little room for 4 inch tips.Do the 4 to 3 reducers reduce power,and where can I get them?....just...exhausted....ol red!........Bill S

Rootsy
03-10-2003, 09:45 AM
so basically red, you're motor is gonna look like this???

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jaroot017.jpg

At the time of purchase REX told me they were not marketing these anymore.. eventhough IMCO manufactures them i believe... i ended up finding these for a deal i couldn't really pass up... pure luck...

i'd still love to have a set of SM though... but i want to see a true, raw dyno comparison between stock center riser merc and SM or IMCO on a fairly mild SBC... before i break out 1400 bucks...

BUIZILLA
03-10-2003, 10:01 AM
DK, those manifolds are for an INBOARD application. The elbows were available in either 3" or 4". Some ski-boats also used that end-dump style. I just threw away an exact rusted out set from a 29' Phoenix with twin 350-260 Merc's.

HTH,

J

Dredgeking
03-10-2003, 10:18 AM
rootsy,
those look like they may work for my application. hell, anything looks better than what i have. i have this sweet engine next to those damn manifolds. almost embarrassing. my exhaust holes appear to be straight through the hull, not on an angle. does this make a difference?

olredalert
03-10-2003, 10:56 AM
-----Yup!Appears to be about the same.Havent had it all bolted together yet.There appear to be some hose issues,but nothing that cant get ironed out fairly easily.
-----The Rex risers were on E-bay.When I won the auction and called Rex they did say something about not doing them anymore but they might have a set or two left.....Maybe one of thier dealers?......Give them a call DK......ol red!......Bill S

MOP
03-10-2003, 11:21 AM
Most of the times that I have run into a little offset in the hoses I would measure up the hose with the riser not bolted down. Then get the gasket and stuff in place, put a block of wood on the intake so I could lever it up enough to have the mating surfaces contact flat together. I had couple of the gaskets get buggered up from just cranking them down and leaked after a bit. The hose will relax a bit after a few runs. If its off a bunch you need to get or make an adapter. I have taken the correct sized fiber glass tube and cut it for the right angle and with a little time and more cutting and shaping gotten nice smooth bends.

Dredgeking
03-11-2003, 01:01 PM
has anyone tried these from Eddie Marine?

eddie marine (http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/details.asp?SubCategoryID=300&CategoryID=107)