PDA

View Full Version : Fun has begun! Wiring issues!!

JimG
03-09-2003, 06:45 PM
Well the honeymoon's over! Now the troubleshooting starts...

Anyone got a wiring diagram for my 1970 Donzi?

The engine would fire, then immediately quit after the key was released. Ran through all the scenarios, and doublechecked the keyswitch wiring. Everything checked out. I think...

Then the solenoid stopped firing...(wait it gets better!) Looked in my spares kit from the former owner. A new solenoid in the box! Put it on, thinking this has got to be it. ( I had disconnected the garden hose earlier, just to bump it over.)

:o Hit the key...WHAM! It started! Turned the key back off. It KEPT RUNNING! AAAHHH!!! Jim dancing around pulling wires, cussing, screaming... KEPT GOING! (Starter was engaged.)

Finally pulled the coil wire, shocked the CRAP out of me, smoke coming from the solenoid... I layed down on the deck, panting...

Bad solenoid I guess... any suggestions about why it'd start them immediately die when I release the key. I not too familiar with Ford wiring. ANyone ever have a solenoid stick like that? Woke me up!! I'll never so much as TOUCH a key without a hose hooked up! :)

JimG

<small>[ March 09, 2003, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: JimG ]</small>

Wildfire
03-09-2003, 08:24 PM
Sympathy yes, pulled a plug wire off my running 1942 Ford GPW at age 12. Lots of lightning!

Help no, I usually just start from scratch when these kinds of problems are encountered - Never really know what you got unless you put it in there.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-09-2003, 08:27 PM
All I can say is "DAMN!"
What a story, I have a few I have never shared!
Hang in there Jim, and keep us posted.
Bryan

Scott Pearson
03-09-2003, 08:29 PM
Jim,
I would change the key switch right away! I had the same exact problem when I finished my 1968 Donzi. The Lake George Dust off! 2nd time it was in the water since I finished it. Brand new everything! When I tested in NJ it was fine till I got back to the dock. Shut it down and was sitting there eating lunch and the boat started to turn over all by itself. Then the following weekend went to Lake George and the thing was warming up at the dock when all of a sudden a weird noise and smoke. The starter stayed engauged....smoked the started and 2nd dairy solenoid.

Changed starter...jumped solenoid and off to the Dust off.

Came home put another brand new ignition switch in and it worked fine for about a week and same thing started to happen....Changed switch for the 3rd time. To a totaly different brand and never had a problem again.

SOOOOO....I would change the switch and go from there. I would bet anything it cures the problem.

(NJ)Scott

riverrat
03-09-2003, 08:47 PM
Damn Jim!! LOL. it's not funney but it sure made for a good story, I hope you get it fixed soon!
old boats can be a pain in the ass. good luck! & let us know the out come. & please don't let your pretty girl get in to this repair eek!

ps sorry we missed the bbq last night. something came up at the last minuite..

the rat :D

McGary911
03-09-2003, 09:15 PM
I think Poodle hit this one on the head. Check the ballast resistor. I had the exact same thing happen on my big boat. Best part about the resistor thing? It's about a $3 fix. Cheapest boat fix I've ever encountered.

BOAT=Break Out A Three!!! Wow, that's better than the other one wink

<small>[ March 09, 2003, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: McGary911 ]</small>

ToonaFish
03-09-2003, 09:31 PM
See, Jim, we told you that owning a Donzi would be electrifying...

krakmeup
03-09-2003, 09:47 PM
Damn Jim - you wait until I'm on the road to start the fireworks??!!??!!! I think you have you answer above, welcome to FoMoCo!!

Made it to Des Moines, no problem! Sure is damn cold up here, but the roads are clear. That Kansas is one flat state!!! Not much to see, but a good drive anyway. Tomorrow it's on to Minnesota.......

Gonna run the Donzi's this weekend???? :D :D eek! :confused:

MOP
03-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Have you tried another makers wiring diagram? All smaller boats since way back adhere to to pretty much the same basic wiring with the same BIA I think standardized color codes for the engine and gauge circuts. You would be amazed, you may not have the same routing but the colors corespond at the ends who cares if it runs in Circles. Alot of guys just get the spookies when it comes to wiring. If the problem pops up and its not a for sure componant failure. A few basic things, many things are better and safer checked with the battery Positive lead off with a cheap OHM meter with an extra set of long leads to check for shorts first just in case. Then go on to power on checks on odd stuff, just take your time. Switches and contacts are the worst, all connections should be cleaned and checked, pull on terminals make sure they are tight Check for voltage drop. Switches should scale the meter fast and smooth, watch the needle if the needle seems to waiver when its switchsd to power I will bet that switch is giving you or will soon give you trouble.

BigGrizzly
03-10-2003, 12:52 AM
Go with the Mad guy. I have a 1971 and it works like Scott says. What he didn't tell you is there three solinoids, if you hook two up backwards once you start it the solinoide will stay engaged ignition and starter both. the third kind has one of those post as a ground, but you would know that one the second you turned the key!

<small>[ March 10, 2003, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: BigGrizzly ]</small>

Scott Pearson
03-10-2003, 06:39 AM
Not really sure about the whole Ford thing....thats one of the problems :D :D .

But.....I still say ignition switch. :cool:

(NJ)Scott

JimG
03-10-2003, 08:30 AM
Thanks guys!! This site is awesome!

'Rat, old boats aren't a pain in the ass at all, dude! :D ALL boats need work sometime. Are you going to take a jab at me for not spending 30k on a new boat like you did, EVERY time I post a question about mine? :rolleyes: :D :D

I think I got it figured out. The run-on problem was a bad (or incorrect) solenoid. The wiring was EXACTLY like the one I removed. The ignition switch is brand new. (I swapped a different one in, too. Same issue.)

And I think I got the non-run issue figured out too. Wiring error on the tach, I think. Big dummy me. :(

I'll keep y'all posted! I love this part of getting a new-old boat. Me and old Yeller are just getting to know each other...

JimG (Old Sparky)
:D

David O
03-11-2003, 06:31 AM
Jim
If all else fails REMOVE the engine and take it apart.

MOP
03-11-2003, 07:19 AM
The above post bears Thought after much diliberation it could very well be The Divariable Debilfritzer!

ToonaFish
03-11-2003, 08:44 AM
Admit it, you stopped in Pensacola with the new boat...

Bunches,

Celene 'another one bites the dust'

JimG
03-11-2003, 09:18 AM
:) ...gettin to know you...getting to know all about you.... :D :D

This is the fun part! I've not bought a boat yet that I haven't had to JimG-ize a little. Don't think I'd want to! :D :D

Stuart
03-11-2003, 01:31 PM
Toona,
maybe he did get some bad pcola mojo.
we never saw a boat, and the trailer was locked.

Jim,
pull the motor.