PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Help

Greg Maier
03-09-2003, 06:36 AM
I need help finding insurance. I got a letter in the mail today from National Marine Underwriters that said they would be cancelling my policy because they no longer have a market for boats that exceed 80 mph. Where do the rest of the donzi owners that exceed 80mph have their insurance from?

MOP
03-09-2003, 08:11 AM
Greg hit the search feature there was a great thread about 1-1/2 months back.

Scott Pearson
03-09-2003, 08:15 AM
Greg,
So....tell use the truth. When you filled out the form from the insurance company and it asked you the top speed of the boat.....DID YOU PUT 80+???? eek!

That is a NO NO! :rolleyes:

(NJ)Scott

MOP
03-09-2003, 08:40 AM
Being in the boat Biz and getting to talk many few insurance people, they can refuse to cover you in the event of an accident if it is proved you were well in excess of your reported speed. Ask your broker, I know its a B---- but it may be better to belly up. One thing I know helps is the years of experiance. I had to verify mine when I was teaching boat handling for my X boss to get reasonable coverage.

Greg Maier
03-09-2003, 09:17 AM
Scott,

I normally don't like to play games with serious things like insurance. God forbid that I hit a boat, killed someone and wasn't covered. I would lose everything and, if they were awarded a ton of money, I would have to pay them 10% of my wages for the rest of my life.

RawHide
03-09-2003, 10:27 AM
You may want to check with this company, its excellant !

http://www.totaldollarinsurance.com/

Greg Maier
03-09-2003, 11:14 AM
I looked at them, but the boat has to be a minimum of 26 feet long. I could put a bow pulpit and swim platform on the 22, that might work.

KMLFAMILY
03-09-2003, 12:07 PM
I don"t have that 80 mph option eek! , but give these people a try.
www.skisafe.com (http://www.skisafe.com)

Greg Maier
03-09-2003, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm having Stephanie from Jackson Marine Insurance (sponsors of the Thunder on the Bay Poker Run) look into insurance for my Donzi. She was very helpful and is going to get back to me on Monday when she gets in the office.

Sean
03-09-2003, 01:45 PM
I'm using Markel American Insurance. Expensive, but had the best qoute. Is for 70+ MPH coverage. Agree that you get what you pay for. Make sure your coverage covers your boat.

mphatc
03-09-2003, 06:55 PM
Here's what I learned about insurance companies and boats . . .

Like Scott said, DON"T tell them it will go 80+ !

Give the agent as little info as they need . . don't chat happily about your toy, show no enthusiasm!
But be aware, just like with cars they know what is supposed to be in there for an engine, most insurance companies were able to tell me what the power options were in a 69 Corsican . . and how fast it should go . . I tried to claim 45 mph and a tired old 302 . . ehehehe ! That didn't work!
Several comapnies turned it down because it is a DONZI!

You might try presenting your boat as the lowest cost option package available, and hope that the speed rating is lower.

Good Luck!
Mario

undertaker
03-10-2003, 07:25 AM
Greg, go with Stephanie at Jacksons she finds you the best rate and gets you the best coverage. I have had my insurance with her for three years now and she makes everything real easy. I had a 2000 28ZX and now have upgraded to a 2002 33ZX. Good luck.