PDA

View Full Version : Butt & End connector sealing 101

MOP
03-09-2003, 02:25 AM
Answer to 4 E-mails and 1 post request, a thing I have been doing for many years I know some will say BS! But I can show you connections I have made nearly 20 years ago that are still good laying in salt bilge water. It it my favorite for bilge pump connections. Strip your ends as usual the take either your butt or end terminal and using clear silicone injcect them till a little comes out the other end crimp them on the sealer will squish out each end and give you a really good lasting seal. On my very own life I have never had one fail.

riverrat
03-09-2003, 04:09 AM
that should work with a tight crimp because no air can get in. good common practice mop..

the rat :D

Fish boy
03-09-2003, 05:57 AM
Thanks for this tip... and the few dozen others I have picked from you over the past year or so. I really appreciate the pearls of wisdom and I am sure there are many more members who feel the same way.

Fish

KMLFAMILY
03-09-2003, 06:47 AM
I have used connectors made with the heat shrink material and some with die-electric grease already inside.Also the heat shrink sleeve and liquid electrical tape.I often wondered why i don"t see more of them made of a similiar metal to the wire.In other words copper connectors to copper wire.This should slow down the corrosion? It must be the strength factor.
(EDIT-Self correction)I see they sell a copper tinned connector.Is this a coating or solid copper treated?
(Just thinking out loud again)
I am still in that automotive world.
Ken

<small>[ March 09, 2003, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: KMLFAMILY ]</small>

DocDonzi
03-09-2003, 07:07 AM
I will use this tip today.
Thanks,
Chris

MOP
03-09-2003, 08:01 AM
Thanks guys here I sit with a Boomer hang over was a bit bent back from a party at 3+AM. One more Pearl of Wisdom. I know a few tricks, but let me tell you this board has some of the most interesting and talented people I have run into. Many with far more knowledge. It tickles the hell out of me to go back and forth with them as an Ole Fat Boat Mech. One of my most important wishes is to get to put faces to the names, see some real nice boats etc. at one of the events. I think the only one I can and will make is the 1000 Islands one in July. Looking forward to a great drunk weekend in July hope alot of you guys can make it also.

Formula Jr
03-09-2003, 01:46 PM
Guys, get off your buts and vote this man his five stars.....he's earned them! wink

Murphy
03-09-2003, 03:36 PM
thanks for the sealing tip. Less expensive than the pricey epoxy heat shrink connectors. Looking forward to meeting you and others at the 1000 Islands in July.

Murph