PDA

View Full Version : Stalling at idle and between shifts

SouthernExposure
05-27-2003, 11:49 AM
Hello again,

1989 Donzi Regazza 5.7 Chevy/OMC

Anyone have this type of problem before? While trying to switch between forward and reverse she tends to stall. Makes it difficult to dock. Is the idle set too low? Carb. problem? Carb. accelerator pump? I thinks it's time to find a manual..

Also expierenced vapor lock/hot soak this weekend.

At this rate I'm going to learn alot.

Any info would be a help.

Thanks to all,

Tony :confused:
SE

Rodger
05-27-2003, 12:09 PM
At what RPM is your engine idling at? If the idle is high enough and it still wants to kill, the carb may be set too lean at idle. If it has adjustable needle valves, you can richen it slightly and it may cure the problem.

BUIZILLA
05-27-2003, 01:58 PM
You have to adjust the shift interruptor microswitch on the shifter bracket at the engine. There is a micro switch there. Make SURE the sprung linkage arm moves freely, and the microswitch arm centers in the middle of the fork when it is in neutral.

Easier done than explained though...

I use a guy in Stuart, Fla. for my Cobra outdrive repairs that is extremely knowledgable. His name is Zeke. I do ALL my own linkage adjustments however.

J

Zinger
05-27-2003, 06:38 PM
Southern Buis, is right with engine off shift forward then to reverse a couple of times and when its in neutral the mirco switch has to be dead center or the engine will stall. Jeff

MOP
05-28-2003, 12:35 AM
Don't overlook the inner in the drive shift cable or even going with a complete with housing. The drive cable gets stiff after awhile and will cause what you are describing. If nothing else was touched and it just started happening it is a real good possibility. If it is stiff change it out right away, it will not allow full clutch dog engagement. That can really spoil your day when it starts jumping out of gear with a loud Bammm!

MOP
05-28-2003, 12:42 AM
Someone or something must turning the prop while you try to shift, dry shifting is not good, never put much pressure on the shift handle when you do dry shift. Just like all manuals say don't shift without the engine running