PDA

View Full Version : What gives????

olemissalum
03-08-2003, 06:17 PM
After not running the engine for a month, pulled it out today and fired right up and ran fine!! Changed the oil and washed to get ready for tommorow and just after filling her up with oil went to crank again and nothing... Would turn over fine but would not crank. This is after sitting for about 4 hours with the cowl up so I do not suspect vapor lock in the fuel rails. I bet that I will go out tomorrow morning and she will crank right up but what if this happens on the lake. Will be ordering new plug wires on Monday as I could not check them tonight but will in the morning. :confused:

Blewbyu
03-08-2003, 07:11 PM
Missing something here......in Yankee talk,cranking and turning over have the same meaning.Do you mean it will crank (i.e starter turning engine over)but will not start? And,did you "wash" the boat or the engine?Do fuel rails vapor lock?Bettah check to see if you have spark before ya buy wires.Got Gas?If you got air,gas,and spark (at the right time)sumpthin' gotta happen to make loud noise.

olemissalum
03-08-2003, 07:23 PM
yes the starter will turn engine over but will not start. Did not wash the engine. Remember some posts saying that with the 502 that they leave the blowers on about 5 minutes after shutdown to prevent hard starting the next time. Not sure what could have happened in the course of a few hours when all I did was suck the old oil out and put new oil in. Ran out of daylight and will check all plug wires for chafing in the morning, after that not sure what it could be. I mean I let it run for about 20 minutes on the hose to warm the oil up before I changed it and it ran beautiful!!! Now, nothing but the starter turning the engine over, not even a hiccup!!!!

Fish boy
03-08-2003, 07:24 PM
DO you have a kill switch?

Brad Lyon
03-08-2003, 08:18 PM
Do you have electronic fuel injection and two batteries? I had a problem last summer with my boat. Battery 1 was being used to crank over the engine but the lead wire to the electronic fuel injection was connected to battery 2 which was drained enough and was not furnishing enough voltage to the fuel injection computer. Took a while to figure out that one. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Brad

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-08-2003, 08:21 PM
Man, you luck has sucked so far!
The only time I got the vapor lock thing was after long hard runs, I know now why many raise their hatches to give the motor max air in the no wakes, I do it now and also run the blower after shut off.
When she has been tough to start on those occasions 1/2 throttle and the ol 502 will catch.
I have not had this happen again by adding the additional airflow.
Keep us posted man...
Just looked at the pic's of your 26 again.
Sweet! :)

I too am boating tomorrow, spent the day today getting ready!
Bryan

<small>[ March 08, 2003, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Bryan Tuvell 26ZX ]</small>

olemissalum
03-08-2003, 09:24 PM
Went back out tonight and on a hunch deciced to check voltage. Well just a few weeks ago replaced one battery but not the other, well the other one is bad now. After charging both last night now they are both dead. I listened to the radio while cleaning but should not have been enough to drain two batteries so when I went to crank with switch in BOTH position did not have enough to fire her up, had enough to turn it over but not enough for the ignition I guess. New battery in the morning and should be fine. Bryan, if it can go wrong it will with me!!!!!! wink Also, lets hear how that new prop works out.