PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help

Dredgeking
03-07-2003, 10:17 PM
How much and what weight lube do i use for my volvo 270? this is all new to me. i just got all the merc stuff down and now i switched up completely.

thanks

Dredgeking
03-08-2003, 07:39 AM
thanks scott, i was tinkering around last night and found one grease fitting on the bottom of the drive and one inside the boat where the steering connects to the drive.

one more question. how do you grease the drive shaft? i found what looks like a threaded connection with a screw cap on it, but i don't know how to get grease in there.

is there a tech forum somewhere in here that i haven't found yet?

thanks for the help.

AVickers
03-08-2003, 01:57 PM
Congratulations!

You found the one hole on a Volvo that nobody seems to know what to do with...

Here's what I've observed and my guess as to what to do:

This hole opens up to the intermediate shaft housing, but as near as I could tell, the hole doesn't have any galleys connected to it that lead directly to the bearings on either end of this housing. Therefore, shooting it w/ grease doesn't do anything...unless you shoot about two quarts in there. The bearings in there are open -- no seals or shields -- and other than this hole, there appears to be no way to lubricate them that I can see. My guess is that you need to pour about a 1/4 cup of heavy gear oil in there and tilt the boat w/ the trailer wheel -- front up to lubricate the rear bearing; front down to lubricate the front bearing. In each position, I'd tap the starter to turn the bearing in its new oil bath. And be ready to clean up the mess in the bilge as the oil finally runs out of the bottom of the bell housing...

At one point, I shot some grease into the hole, but felt no pressure that the grease was going anywhere... When I took the unit apart the next year, the grease had fallen onto the saft and was simply deposited around the inside of the tube by the spinning shaft. My guess is that other than the initial grease load in the bearing, these bearings are not lubricated on most boats w/ Volvo drives... If the bellows ever leaks water into the housing, all the grease there would be washed out in fairly short order, leaving the rear bearing, in particular, unlubricated. (Ask me how I know this...)

<small>[ March 08, 2003, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: AVickers ]</small>

BigGrizzly
03-08-2003, 07:14 PM
All my Volvos have a double ball aer up and it is a sealed unit not opened so grease or oil is useless.

MOP
03-09-2003, 01:59 AM
Ok the real deal from the 70's tech school! Remove the screw during normal service period IE: the instructor winterization? what about the all year boys I remember the sour look I got for saying that. Anyway back to the issue pull the screw and give it 10 pumps when newly assembled, there after 3-4 once a season. I found a bolt that fit the not sure of size without looking, drilled for a tiny zirk screwed it in and left it. If you do alot like I did get a big zirk and braze or silver solder a peice of 3/16 tubing a couple of inches long snap it into the grease gun and just stick it in and give it a few shots. I have posted about the overlooked screw a few times. For the guys who do not know where it is it is inside 12 O clock on the intermediate down in that dark gooky spot behind the engine. Ya Ya its 3AM and I am Buzzed!

Dredgeking
03-11-2003, 09:28 AM
thanks Al and M.O.P.

i just need know if i should use gear lube or grease.