PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank HELP!!!

walter
03-07-2003, 06:41 AM
I have a Donzi 33ft Center console and it appears that water that gets into the gas tank compartment (section) whatever you call it is not draining properly. Are there weep holes? If there are such holes. Where are they located? Advise???

Digger
03-07-2003, 10:06 AM
you are looking for limber holes which should be on most if not all structural cross members that allow water to drain aft along the bilges. This may prove frustrating since giving you inspection access to hidden areas on your boat is the last thing on any boat builder's mind. play detective with a mirror designed for looking in confined spaces. like the one shown here (http://www.plumbertools.com/mirror.html) (except alot smaller!) and a strong flashlight. An electricians fish tape works great to poke around and find clogged up limber holes, that is if you can get to them. In trying to find out where the water is coming from, eliminate the easy ones first. (i.e. is the drain plug tight, are the drive bellows cracked)
good luck-

<small>[ March 07, 2003, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Digger ]</small>

Fish boy
03-07-2003, 12:52 PM
Hooky,
First of all, welcome to the boards. I am having a similar problem and have a few thoughts.

1. DO you have a water seperator in line between your tank and your engines. If not, get one ASAP. If so, has the filter been changed recently? http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=62862

2. What does the fuel look like? Is it relatively transparent with a bluish tint, or is it cloudy with a yellowish tint? (only bluish if you do not have oil injection, otherwise, is it clean looking?)

3. Did the boat sit through the winter or have you been running it? If it sat, was it full, empty, or something in between?

4. DO you know if water is getting in to the tank, or is it possible that it came in with your last fueling?

If it is just water in the fuel, there are products that are supposed to evaporate it like: http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=298458 I have not used this. It is possible you may also have algae in the tank.

There is a company in Largo, Fla called Long Hose that will come to your house with a big truck, put a hose in the tank and suck your fuel, run it through a filter and return it to the tank. They will continue this process until the fule in your tank is clean. Perhaps there is something like this near you.

Unfortunately, if nothing else works, you may have to unbolt your center console, pull the center floor section, and pull the tank.

Hope this helps. If you can answer some of the questions above I may be able to help a little more.

Fish

<small>[ March 07, 2003, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Fishboy ]</small>

Scott Pearson
03-07-2003, 02:46 PM
Fish,
You missed the question. He is getting water around the bulkheads of the fuel tank. Not in the fuel tank. Do what Digger said....then let us know what you come up with.

(NJ)Scott

Fish boy
03-07-2003, 03:44 PM
..and my wife says I do not listen. Go figure.

walter
03-09-2003, 06:08 PM
Thanks, for all the advice. I have been through every compartment that I could see. But still didn't find the drain hole. Still looking