PDA

View Full Version : Hornet's first trial run!

RH
05-07-2002, 09:27 PM
After a lifetime of anting to own a Donzi, my dream came true in mid February. I have the 1972 Hornet 19' with the Chris Craft Corvette 350, 320HP that is all original. I am running a 21 pitch prop with the ID numbers c967 and 7089 stamped into the propellor. Drive is a Volvo 270 without trim. Tonight, I finally got to get it out and give it a trial run. It has been a fickle spring weather wise here in Iowa, and every day that was fit, I was unable to get to run it. Put it in the water tonight after checking all the vitals (fluids). Cranked the 350 Corvette up and let it run for a while. I checked for leaks, waterpump and temps all seemed to go fine. At idle, the starboard exhaust port was not pumping out as much volume of water as the port until I put revved the engine to about 2000rpms. Maybe it is a volume thing for the water pump.??? I felt the manifolds on both sides including elbows and all seemed constant on both sides. Then I took off and ran it up on plane. What a ride! After getting the feel of how it ran, I cranked it up to 4500rpms where it started to flood out. It really seemed like it wanted to run alot more, but it would seem to flood out. I made a nice high speed run by the house, (we live on a river) and got my wife and daughter to come out for their first ride. They liked it! The speedometer is the only thing that was not registering, so I do not know how fast I was actually running. Having grown up around boats, I do know the difference between 40 and 50MPH. The Hornet seems to run like a larger boat in the water compared to the 18 Classic that I have run. I will have to see if the carb is flooding out a little on top end or would there possibly be a rev limiter that is kicking in?
Final thoughts is that this boat is a keeper and definetly a head turner! It just seemed that the boat after I hit 4500 rpm's, that I had plenty of throttle left. When I put it the rest of the way down, it would start to go faster and then flood out. I am wondering if a needle valve is sticking. Any thoughts to my long winded sonnet?
RH

ToonaFish
05-07-2002, 10:58 PM
Congratulations Royce!!!! That ear to ear grin may be a permanent attachment... not a bad deal for a boat bought over the Net!

Bunches,

Celene 'letting the gearheads figure the rest out!'

oldLenny
05-07-2002, 11:23 PM
Glad the boat worked out for you! Enjoy,...I'm jealous...CHEERS,... LENNY!!!

mattyboy
05-08-2002, 06:34 AM
:D :D :D

matt

Dr. Dan
05-08-2002, 06:57 AM
:cool: Cool :cool: