PDA

View Full Version : Daytona in July

Sagbay32
05-07-2002, 08:01 PM
My family (Wife and kids) and I are going to be vacationing in Daytona for a week or so starting july 12th. is there anything special going on at this time? I have been trying to search the web and all I can find is the International Festival.

Are there any Boat manufacturers close by?
How about Donzi Dealers?
Any good places to go fishing? I would have to charter because I will not have boat access.
Any other ideas for family fun?

Thanks

Laidback
05-07-2002, 08:21 PM
The beach is great this time of year, hot but not too hot. St. Augustine is a 45 minute drive north of Daytona. I suggest you sightsee downtown in America's oldest city. I know a guy that can take you fishing there too. He charters a CC and will do half days. The the dolphin(Mahi Mahi) should still be running. There is also a Donzi dealer in St. Augustine on SR 207 although a small one (All About Boats). Orlando is a hour away and you probably already know that that place has tons to do. Daytona is a "laidback" former spring break meca on a great beach. I am sure there are plenty of charters there too, but I do not know of any.

Sagbay32
05-07-2002, 08:26 PM
We plan on taking the kids to Orlando one of the days we are there. I may have to check out
St. Augustine, and give the kids a bit of history as well.
I haven't been down to Daytona, or Florida for that matter, in a few years. I can't wait to eat at Aunt Catfish's. It is one of my favorite restaurants.

Tidbart
05-08-2002, 06:32 AM
Be wary of the hotels. There are a lot of dumps. Stay away from the Desert Inn. The Plaza is nice and so is Adam's Mark (more expensive). Have fun.
The Donzi factory is over in Sarasota. A short 3 hour drive.

Looped
05-08-2002, 07:42 AM
Sagbay32,
Too bad you're not going down a week earlier, you could have gone to the "Daytona Under The Lights" Winston Cup Race. It's quite a sight. The Race Rock Café is a good thing to checkout for lunch too, I don’t care for the food there but that’s not why you’re there.

Universal Studios is pretty cool to go to too. It’s best if you catch a little buzz and then checkout the “Back to the Future” ride and then walk over to the area where the “Blues Brothers” do their thing (funny thing was we ran into the Blues Bros sitting in the cruiser just before they drove over to do their act and we were trying to feed them some beers but would not go for it). Then at night you can see the boat stunts that they have going on where they have the lame Jaws ride during the daytime. Really all you need to do is hop in the car and just drive and something will catch your eye. The “Boot Hill Saloon” is always a must too, a dive but a must see.

Good luck,
Craig

Sagbay32
05-08-2002, 11:40 AM
We will be staying at my In-laws condo on the beach, so the motel won't be an issue. I would like to talk the family into going to the Donzi factory. Maybe In-laws could watch the kids :rolleyes: . Just a thought :D

Kent Perroux
05-08-2002, 07:12 PM
I don't know of any performance boat companies around Daytona. Orlando has Velocity in Sanford(North Orlando), Correct Craft and Regal.

If you go over to Clearwater, there is Spectra. Then Sarasota is some place called Donzi (I think they make fishing boats or something). Sarasota also has a really cool guy that builds Phantoms. There is a Donzi killer (oops, will probably get kicked off the site now.) If you go by Phantom, Tell Will I said hi.

CDMA
05-08-2002, 07:14 PM
Kent you have mail.

Chris

tailwind
05-08-2002, 08:43 PM
You will definitely be in the Fl tourist Mecca or capital! Having had an opportunity to live and work in this area for short periods during the past 25 years or so , offer the following:

1. Kennedy Space Center- IMAX and a lot more, at least ½ day.
2. Cocoa Beach Pier, if there is a launch, lunch, shopping etc.
3. Cocoa Beach: Ron Jons Surf Shop, overated but your there
4. Air Boat Rides: SR 50 I think, turns into 436, little known place, offers 1-2 hour swamp boat rides, reach out and touch a gator type stuff. (My Pic). Sit in the back by the guide and he will fill you in, $5-10/head.
5. Winter Park, Orlando Science Center, "TOPS", I built the dome for this one.
6. Winter Park, Inter connected lake boat tour- signs off of 436.
7. Tunes: 103.1"WLOQ" FM Smooth Jazz
8. Orlando Downtown: Church Street Station - Fun Stuff here also
9. Astronaut stuff: "Shuttles", 528 I think, west NASA gate, burger dive, you will normally find a shuttle crew here at lunch etc.
10. Last but perhaps best: Bithlow has demolition derbies every weekend including drag racing, and have been told car racing with boats and trailers behind, can not confirm this but would like to see nevertheless!

All this within minutes, hope this gives you guys an idea of what fun is available !

ToonaFish
05-08-2002, 10:02 PM
Bithlo???? The guy comes half way across the country and you suggest Bithlo????

Heck, Fort Lonesome, Yeehaw Junction, or my old home, Chulota, are hotter spots!

Bunches,

Celene "You are at the beach, enjoy the beach!"

RickSE
05-09-2002, 10:39 AM
Mike,
Postpone your trip by one week and you'll get to see all the new stuff from Donzi. The Hyatt docks will be full of brand new Donzi and ProLine boats on July 22-24th, for the 2003 dealer conference. My wife and I fly to Orlando on the 18th and return the 26th.

mattyboy
05-09-2002, 11:02 AM
I have family in the palm coast area, right between daytona and st auggie, I highly recommend st auggie, wonderful place try bahama mamas if it is still open and take the buggy ride thru downtown. also it has been years but there was a small seafood shack on the oceanside of A1A 3 0r 4 miles south of the flager beach pier (by the nautilus high rise) cold beer and good oysters got the worst sunburn on the backs of my cafes sittin under an umbrella and throwing backs some suds. A1A is agreat ride for views kinda long though. used to be marineland on the way but that's long gone and ripley's muesuem, great golf courses there to if your into that, the world golf village too.

have fun enjoy

Matt

EricG
05-09-2002, 02:08 PM
I've been a very interested observer of this thread. Kathy and I are going down there on July 2nd for a week.

You've got to love a girlfriend that says: "For my Birthday, I want to go to Daytona for the night race" - Who am I to argue? :D

-EG

Looped
05-09-2002, 02:46 PM
EricG,
I will be very jealous of you if you do get to see that race. That night race is second on my list for Winston races to see first is Bristol under the lights of course. The Daytona daytime race was wild enough for me to see, the first time that you enter the bleachers and look out at the track your jaw will drop two feet. Having NHIS being an hour away and seeing every race there, Daytona make NHIS seem like a ¼ mile dirt track (NHIS is one of the worst tracks to see but it’s close so I can’t complain too much).

Good luck!
Craig

abelchinewalker
05-09-2002, 02:48 PM
The two boat manufacturers in that area Luhrs & Mainship.

EricG
05-09-2002, 03:42 PM
Funny about Bristol - I think that's #1 on everyone's list (last I heard the waiting list is 8+ years) eek!

I'm really looking forward to Daytona. The only track even remotely close to here is Sears Point (San Fran - 12 Hours). We took the motorhome down a few years ago, great time, but the road course isn't as much fun as the ovals.

I went to Charlotte last October, we got to Meet Sterling Marlin before the race, and then he won....what a great experience!!

-EG