PDA

View Full Version : Redoing a dash...QUESTIONS??

ITTLFLI
03-06-2003, 01:50 PM
I am going to be working on redoing the dash of my dads 1986 22 Classic. It is in storage right now but I want to get a game plan together on what I am going to need. My questions is:

Will the whole dash(including black plastic) basically unplug from the wire harness? I am asking so that I might be able to just work on it on a table in the basement without working on it in the boat.

I want to go back with some sort of an aluminum pod. I will be installing new Gaffrig Monster Platinum series.

Thanks!!

MOP
03-06-2003, 04:34 PM
Your best bet if you want to table it is to buy a wire numbering kit, make sure battery is disconnected cafefully mark each wire twice about an inch or two apart. Then and cut the harness. When you wire up the dash make your new leads one at a time by the numbers and alot longer incase the pods extend the distance. You may waste a little wire but you will thank me later. E-Mail me for a neat wire sealing trick that will last as long as the new harness.

Murphy
03-06-2003, 09:11 PM
On my 86 22 Classic everything, including the gages and grounding blocks are connected with terminal clips. The gages housings are held in place with metal clamps secured with knurled brass nuts. The circuit breakers and switch bodies have integrated plastic clips that compress to remove. The "message center" is siliconed in place but shouldn't present any big problems (incidentally, if anyone knows how this thing works, I'd like to know) Cigarette lighter, starter switch, etc, have double nuts that hold them in place. You should be able to disassemble the whole dash with a phillips screwdriver and small crescent wrench. Mark everything with i.d. tape as described above and draw good diagrams with assembly notes as you go. I'll be doing the same this summer so keep in touch. While doing this I'd advise upgrading to 10 ga. wire on the main +/- leads from the battery to the dash and from the dash to the terminal block in the engine compartment. I thought the size wire used originally on mine was too small. My current plan is to machine a new dash plate from aluminum and then have it powder coated. What are you planning?

Best Regards,

Murph

ITTLFLI
03-07-2003, 08:35 AM
Thanks guys! This is what I was thinking. I have the motor out also. I wonder what a new Mercury harness for the whole boat would cost?

I am leaning towards a powdercoated piece of aluminum also. Thanks and I will keep in touch.

Byron

Murphy
03-07-2003, 10:50 PM
Alright M.O.P. time to quit holding out on us. What's the secret to sealing connections to last? I've been using a commercial grade electrical sealer in a spray can. Seems to work OK, but if there's a better way I'm interested.

Murph