PDA

View Full Version : Fuel sending unit for 1968 2+3

vonkamp
05-23-2003, 11:48 AM
Any Idea what type of sending unit was installed on a 1968 2+3?
My gas tank has a brass screw off cap with two terminals on it but all the other workings appear to be missing ( not laying at bottom of fuel tank, that was my first thought :D ).
Thanks.
Baron

MOP
05-23-2003, 10:13 PM
Baron normaly there is a round flat plate that is screwed to the tank. Your saying screw cap I'm not familiar with that one. If infact it is the flat round type, most marine stores have universal ones that you cut the arm to the tank hieght.

penbroke
05-24-2003, 09:57 PM
My '66 18 has a screw off cap near the rear of the tank but instead of a sending unit it has a sight gauge like an outboard tank. Inside the tank there is an arm with a float that moves a scale under a glass window in the cap. The whole thing is visable thru a thick glass viewport in the floor just ahead of the back edge of the ski tray that runs up to the bow.

When I got the boat the tank was leaking around this fitting. There was a tiny crack in the solder that held this fitting to the tank. I was able to clean it up enough to seal the area around the fitting with epoxy, all thru the hole for the viewport. Hoping to put off tank replacement as long as I can. With a flashlight and a small inspection mirror you can see the inside of most of the tank from there.

Frank

vonkamp
05-25-2003, 08:29 AM
Frank,
That sounds like how my original setup was.
I took a couple of pics of the cap and I will post as soon as I figure out how. When I try to post one, the picture is so big that it takes the entire screen and then some. I'll work on making it smaller.

vonkamp
05-25-2003, 08:59 AM
This is it.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/bkamp05.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/bkamp04.jpg

MOP
05-28-2003, 12:24 AM
I asked about it today, was thought to be an old Mirex sender. Is your tank monel or aluminum? If it is aluminum I would cap that off and install the new type, if its monel forget it. What you could do is cut the top off the cap, take apart one of the new style senders. Have some one braze the plate from the new style to you cap, put the guts back in and install and paint.

vonkamp
05-29-2003, 08:50 AM
M.O.P.,
Thanks for the info. I have a couple more questions now. Not sure but I think tank is aluminum. Is there a positive way to tell? What would be the best way to cut hole in tank to install new sending unit? Sparks and metal shavings are obviously a couple of critical conciderations. Thanks,
Baron

MOP
05-29-2003, 08:54 PM
Aluminum is soft you can scrape it to see and check with a magnet just to be sure. You will need a fine tooth or abrasive type hole saw the size of the gasket inner, cut a little at a time then clean it, it will clog a lot. I have my way of cutting holes in tanks, I drain as much as possible. After I get all I can out then I take a CO2 fire extinguisher and fill the tank till it comes out the vent tape off openings, CO@ is heavy so it will pretty much just stay there. Gas tanks scare me a bit I've been 25-30 feet away when one blew up, lost my hair and eye brows so I am extra careful. Anyway once the tank is secure cut your hole and using the gasket that comes with the sender mark the holes(the holes are staggered to orientate the sending unit. Most are set up with the float arm to the rear. The screws are self tapping machine, drill the holes just big enough to get the tip started. I do not drive the screws in I tap the holes for the screws that assures no damage to the holes. Before you install the sender try to find a product called Gasoiler its a red gooey gasket compound made for the job. It is the only thing that I have never had leak.

Most important Part!! CO2 is very corrosive, so you will need to use the outlet side of a vacuum, make damn sure it is the outlet side! I had a very close buddy give himself a near heart attack trying to suck sand away from a sending unit and blew the vacuum cleaner up the length of the hose away from him! Let the vacuum run quite awhile to clear the tank of all the CO2, the fumes are toxic so stay clear. Now finally put the darn thing together.

MOP
05-29-2003, 09:33 PM
I forgot the debris, while you are cutting and drilling, go a little at a time blow the stuff away from the work area, never vacuum in a fuel area. You will no matter get some light crap in the tank. If you cut the hole first you can get someone to hold a soup spoon under the holes as you drill and tap, helps to keep the chips out. When tapping soft stuff don't back the tap out till it fully through the material, soft stuff tends to gall. About the only thing I have ever seen get screwed up by the chips is the anti syphon valves. The filter will catch all that makes it out of the tank, if you don't have a decent capacity filter now is the time.

Note if you do tap the holes you will find you have a much better feel when tightening it down.

penbroke
05-30-2003, 07:39 AM
You guys are scaring me! eek!

How about trying to find a sender that will work in the existing hole?? After dealing with mine, I think you might be able to modify one to fit?

Frank
Soon to be the (not) proud owner of an '83 Bayliner.

MOP
05-30-2003, 08:30 AM
Scares me too! I would probably go with my second post, if the new sender goes bad down the road just gut the cap and put new guts back in it. Empty tanks are a bomb they will explode where as a full one will not, when I used to pull tanks I would get the tank level on the fork lift take out the sender and after draining as best I could would fill and flush with water to get every last drop out. Just last year I sold my tank tool set, screw drivers, pliers, adjustable that were made of bronze just avoid any sparking.

vonkamp
05-30-2003, 08:54 AM
Cap modification is sounding better. At least it can be worked with no pucker factor.
I'll give it a go, will take pictures along the way.

MOP
05-30-2003, 05:48 PM
Here Here for Pucker Factor! Did I get first letters correct :D

vonkamp
06-01-2003, 11:46 AM
BTW here is what that gas cap attaches to. I've been working on it for about 6 months.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/ACFB1D.jpg

MOP
06-01-2003, 12:45 PM
Vonkamp that is one sweet ride alot better that my 16, is your gauge doing it thing right now?

penbroke
06-01-2003, 02:53 PM
Nice ride indeed vonkamp! I wish mine was that shiney. Be sure to show us what you end up doing with the fuel level sending unit.

Frank
Bayliners and Sawzalls. Oh what fun!

knee deep
06-02-2003, 07:07 AM
I just checked my BoatUS 2002 catalogue, you can buy a sender kit, they are on page 632 and seem pretty straightforward. I am picking up my new tank today and can let you know what they put it in for a sender. I asked them to set it up to work with the new Faria gauges on my '68 18 2+3.