PDA

View Full Version : Hallman moody 302 ?

klink
05-06-2002, 11:19 PM
I know we've talked these things to death here but I was hoping someone could tell me how
much oil these hold. After finally finding a good block to rebuild I ended up with a handfull
of dip sticks and tubes so I don't trust the one I'm using.

After running a few miles my oil preasure drops 10 pd. When I idle down it drops to 10 pds. and
slowly comes back up. I'm thinking I might be frothing the oil with too much in it.

Thanks.... Klinker

David Ochs
05-06-2002, 11:39 PM
Klinker, Keep in mind that your oil pressure will drop after the oil warms up, both at running speed and at idle. As for the amount they hold, I'm like you and can never remember if it's 5 or 6 quarts. Pretty sure it's five, for my 302 anyway.

Formula Jr
05-07-2002, 01:42 AM
From Clymer Volvo '68 to '93

302 was the AQ190a

351w was the AQ240a

5.5Quarts with filter change.

Other wise 5.

Looped
05-07-2002, 07:39 AM
Klink,
One thing you need to make sure of is that the oil pan is still the factory size. Someone before you could have replaced the oil pan to a larger size plus they may not have installed a windage tray to the main bearing bolts to keep the oil somewhat baffled down there and to cut down the foaming. If you are running a remote oil filter you also need to take into that extra amount added too.

Craig

Looped
05-07-2002, 08:09 AM
Another thing I forgot to mention about the windage tray if you don’t have one and are going to install one, you would need to replace the standard main bearing bolts with windage tray studs. This will get into some precise torqueing so you may not want to get into it yourself.

(for all I know Fords may not even use them, I'm just going by a Chevy setup)

BigGrizzly
05-07-2002, 07:30 PM
Both my Holman & Moody engines have them welded in the bottom of the oil pan. They just miss the stock rod bolts providing some one doesn't bend the scrapers up to catch more oil. This happened to the Corsican motor and the guy though the motor was seized. The 302 holds 5.8 qts with the PR1 filter.

Rabdy

klink
05-07-2002, 08:13 PM
Thanks guys. I'm almost possitive i've over filled it, when your pouring in litres it seems bottomless.

Thanks again