PDA

View Full Version : The old tilt motor is acting up (on the boat!).

David Ochs
05-06-2002, 07:34 PM
I've been coping with having to wiggle the wires on the tilt motor to get the outdrive down when launching the the old boat. This is a drag to have to deal with on the ramp, and I'm afraid may get me in trouble one of these days. The motor and the mechanics seem fine once contact is made. I don't know where to begin diagnosing the problem. A good place to start would probably be to clean all the terminals. Beyond that, is there a way to test the relays? Should they also be pulled apart and cleaned? This is the original 250. Any opinions would be appreciated, thanks.

BigGrizzly
05-06-2002, 07:42 PM
The relay is a common one uou can get them at NAPA or Pep Boys. Just swap them and see if the problem is still there.

Randy

Dvo
05-06-2002, 08:11 PM
Before you get into any complex trouble shooting, try following the wiring to the trim pump and look for a connector. It should be within a couple feet of the pump motor. Disconnect it and scrap off any corrosion on the exposed pins and slots. Put a little white grease on the pins tips before your reconnect it. This approach solved a similar problem, that I had on my old 24 SS Sonic. It is quite dangerous to have a drive trim itself in or out at W wink T.

RickR
05-06-2002, 08:25 PM
Also check for broken wire or used up or stuck motor brushes.

BigGrizzly
05-06-2002, 08:35 PM
The Volo 250 has no hydraulic pump it is a tilt only electric motor with a fricton screw device and isself contained.

Randy

MOP
05-06-2002, 08:50 PM
If you are wiggiling wires sounds like the problem has been found, if not properly supported they break right inside the rubber going into the tilt motor. If you are handy tear it down and replce the culprits, use good multi strand marine grade wire and get it tied down when it goes back in. eek!

David Ochs
05-06-2002, 11:50 PM
Thanks guys, Yes the 250 is only a tilt, no trim here. Good suggestion Phil, I'm going to start with new wires and connectors. I still have the hardware and shrink-tubing from when I re-wired the rest of the boat. Why didn't I do this at the same time?