PDA

View Full Version : Follow up on most reliable power

MOP
05-22-2003, 08:03 AM
I am a Post Marine dealer (mother company for West Marine) The battery that failed me was a West Marine on sale jobby one season old. Rather than drive 15 miles to West I got one from our local supplier. The were identical rated batteries crank reserve etc. The weight difference was amazing, on a not to critical bathroom scale the West was 12 pounds lighter. To me totally unbelievable. The price was less than $5 bucks more for the new one. The weight alone tells me a lot less plates. So watch those on sale batts from West and probably many vendors. Sure screwed my evening cruise and I'm still hurting from the reliable power!

Cuda
05-22-2003, 08:54 AM
I agree with you MOP, I always buy the biggest heaviest battery I can get in place. I don't care how high tech they get, there is no substitute for more and bigger plates.

MOP
05-22-2003, 09:19 AM
Cuda I used to do that but found out if you over battery for the needs of the system it does not get used enough for it capacity and dies before its time. We had a post awhile back about it and found it to shorten the life. Ask Big Griz he tests all that stuff.