PDA

View Full Version : Salt water Props and other stuff!

MOP
05-21-2003, 09:27 PM
We had a guy bring in a two year old rig for a prop change, Which brought this to my mind for this post. After nearly bending the puller hooks, and melting the rubber hubs with the "Blue Wrench" we finally got the props off. Both need recon and hubs. The owner said they were well greased with water proof wheel bearing grease he had done it him self. Many believe grease is fine, BS the only thing anyone in salt and maybe fresh should use is non hardening gasket compound, I to used grease for a lot of years till I had formal training. Grease will over time fail you, in salt we use it on prop shafts and every threaded item. There are very few bolts on my whole rig not coated with it.

newbie-n-TX
05-22-2003, 07:29 AM
OK, newbie question, other than the fact that someone might steal your expensive stainless prop. Why should you periodically remove it?

Thanks!

MOP
05-22-2003, 07:48 AM
I like most feel the prop should come off end of season, clean the shaft and retreat it, during winterization we pull all the props, the outside stored boats we put the props in a locked trailer, we do encourage removing and storing the drives. Also many of the trailer guys me included take the prop off on long trips. S/S wheels are quite heavy and do impose loads on the trim rams from the bouncing. I have had guys tell me they had thier prop stolen at food stops and motels. I do agree some greases are very good but the gasket compound has never failed me in alot of years, grease has.

Cuda
05-22-2003, 08:57 AM
What brand/type do you use? It makes sense to me.

Cuda
05-22-2003, 08:58 AM
Is your "blue wrench" the same one that I refer to as the "fire wrench"? :D

MOP
05-22-2003, 09:12 AM
Cuda you got it! There is another twist on that a few years ago, We did not have a torch so one of my buds hooked his arch welder up to the gear case. One end to a good ground the other to the box end wrench he pulled real hard on the wrench and I intermittently hit the switch on 150amp setting and it broke the bolts. Surprised the heck out of me, I have never tried it again but if need be will. Since OMC gasket compound is getting scarce I will start using any good marine non hardening. I tried automotive stuff it did not stay soft but did with some help finally let go. I wonder if anyone knows the vendor that OMC used? I prepped my prop three years ago, have pulled it several times without having to re treat it. Its off right now for drive touch up and the OMC stuff is still soft and gooey

Tony
05-22-2003, 10:31 AM
No worries about salt for me, but I've read twice recently that I should be using a magnesium anode ring instead of zinc, for exclusive fresh water use. Keeping in mind I've got an antique Volvo AQ200B, where would I look for this item?

MOP
05-22-2003, 03:58 PM
Check with Mattyboy you guys are looking for the same thing, I not sure there is one for Volvo.

Tony
05-22-2003, 07:03 PM
My West Marine guy finds the magnesium anode that I need, but then says he cannot order it!

It is made by martyranodes.com which is apparently a division of Canada Metal. For Volvos it is part # CMV-15 (875810), unless you have a Duo-prop. I've e-mailed them to see if I can order direct, and will post when they reply.

BTW, can someone tell me why (all of a sudden) fresh-water guys should have magnesium instead of zinc? How did my trusty AQ200 last 36 years without it?

penbroke
05-22-2003, 07:59 PM
I just got an anode for my Volvo 200B. Canada Metals CMV-16 West Marine 217663. Acording to the chart in the store the CVM-16 is the correct one for the 200. I had to show the guy how to look it up as they are clueless here. He was able to order it. I don't know the material tho... I assume it is zinc.

Just looked in WM catalog. All the magnesium part numbers from CM end in "M".

Frank

Ralph Savarese
05-22-2003, 10:18 PM
MOP,
GM gasket sealing compound is the same as the OMC stuff avalable at any GM dealer brown goo with screwtop brush in can. Use it all the time great stuff.
Ralph

MOP
05-22-2003, 10:20 PM
definitely a good thread :) :)

MOP
05-22-2003, 10:23 PM
Thanks Ralph my cans getting stiff.

Donzigo
05-23-2003, 06:54 AM
MadPoodle,

Do you have a picture of the sleeves you put on the trim rams to relieve the pressure for trailering.

Great thread, folks. Learned a lot. Going to take my props of tommorrow morning and do the things you guys suggested.

Richard

Rich
05-23-2003, 09:47 AM
Mercruiser 2-4-C grease is for prop shafts. Don't know how well it works.
Mercruiser Perfect Seal is great on anything that needs anti sieze. This is a non-hardening gasket compound M.O.P. is talking about. It's thinner than Permatex Aviation Form a Gasket which has been the best around for years.
Trailering clips as madpoodle said go over the trim cylinder rods to take the pressure off the whole hydraulic system. They are readily available at West Marine. Mine are made by Sierra.

MOP
05-24-2003, 07:18 AM
MP! Most of me is getting Stiff!