PDA

View Full Version : Starting Issue

GKricheldorf
08-05-2003, 04:22 PM
Hello All,

I have a 1987 Z25 with a 454 MAG that gives me a little trouble starting. When it is cold it starts up with no issue within seconds after turning the key. After runnig for a bit and when the engine is warm(150-160 degrees) it will crank over slowly as if the battery is dead. If i let it sit for 15 more minutes it starts up like a champ. Any help would be appreciated before i rip out the starter and start replacing parts.

Greg K
08-05-2003, 04:43 PM
I'd say it is the starter, when they get warm from engine heat, they like to get very lazy.

sparepartz
08-05-2003, 04:53 PM
has the timing of the distributor been played with? if timing is too far advanced any motor will start like that when hot. but the starter does tend to get sluggish when they are hot and are gonna die, bur thats on cars with hot exaust pipes or headers, how hot can it really get in the bilge? if you gotta get a starter get one of those mini hi torque ones.

Ed Donnelly
08-05-2003, 04:55 PM
If its a carb model,I would check the timing.Cold it will start, but once the engine is hot, it will barely turn over.. But then again how the hell would I know. It took me 3 yrs to get my Donzi to even run...Ed

GKricheldorf
08-05-2003, 05:01 PM
Just picked up the boat less then a month ago. I have not messed with the timing, but it looks like i will be. Thanks for the suggestions.

Cuda
08-05-2003, 05:30 PM
A bad connection, most likely a ground. Connections have more resistance when they heat up, which in turn makes more heat, thus more resistance.

olemissalum
08-05-2003, 05:38 PM
I had the same problem with the last boat I had, turned out that the previous owners had left the plug in during a rain storm, starter got wet, and then corroded, then would behave like you are describing.

BigGrizzly
08-05-2003, 06:19 PM
sounds like the ignition timing is too far advanded, I bet it goes slow for the first couple of revolutions then starts. the distributor is too far advanced ot the advance doesn't return to retard on hot start

farmer tx
08-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Also check the size of your primary cable to the starter. Too small a cable will also cause the
slugish start problem.

Good luck

GKricheldorf
08-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'm was trying to get a manual for my engine in short order for this weekend, but struck out. I know the timing needs to be 8 degrees BTDC, but is there any vaccume advance i need to adjust for? I've messed with the timing on my jeep many times, but this will be a first on a boat.

Thanks,
Glenn