PDA

View Full Version : 22 Ft Classic Question

winston
08-04-2003, 11:25 PM
A couple of quick questions, I think I know the answers but would like to make sure, I see in the option list Quick and Quiet II non switchable and Quick and Quiet Plus switchable, what is the difference and is one better to have then the other, my second question is K Plane's what are they and do I want them? Thanks in advance for any help!!

boldts
08-05-2003, 02:19 AM
Winston, here is a picture of a K-Plane mounted on the back of my 22 Classic. You won't find anything but K-Planes on offshore race boats in most cases. They are the heavy duty of trim tabs and will cost more than the standard Bennett tabs found on most boats. Do you want them? Well that's a matter of personal wants. I usually only use the tabs on my Donzi when cruising in the midrange speeds if I have passengers or even wind causing the boat to list to one side or the other. If you are looking at a used boat and they are on it, it's a plus. If your looking to save a few dollars on a new Donzi, at least the Classic series, they are probably not a necessity.

No expert on the your exhaust question, but I would think it goes like this. Anyone jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Q & Q non switchable = thruhull with a muffler of some type that does not divert the exhaust down thru the drive and prop.

Q & Q Plus switchable = I believe this is just a newer version of what my boat has where the exhaust can be exited thru the hull or diverted down thru the drive and prop. I believe it also has a baffle in the thruhull tips to keep things a little quieter when exiting exhaust thru the hull. My thruhull does not have any baffles in the tips. Hope this helps you out.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/sboldtdrive0001.jpg

Barry Phillips
08-05-2003, 08:36 AM
Hi Winton: I just purchased a 22 with Q&Q Plus, at idle there seems to be little difference in sound, on or off. Based on that, I would not bother with the Q&Q Plus. Either system well get louder as the rpms increase, the only difference being that with the Q&Q Plus you can switch off the through hull completely. You have a 3rd option called Captain's Call which is a switchable system with standard open tips. When the exhaust is routed through the transom you will have that big block rumble.
The Q&Q 2 and Plus well meet most noise regulations in the US because sound is measuerd while the boat is stationary. I'm not sure of the regulations in Canada though. Check out the Captain's call, you well save about $400 US, and if you or the marine police think it's to loud, just switch it off. A member on this site orderd custom tips from Corsa at a cost of $300 which gave him a little more rumble than the standard Q&Q tips. Try contacting Corsa first.

You don't need K Plains unless you are planning on big power. Although the Mini K Plains used on the 22 SE look really cool they are a big ticket item. I would put the money into the HO option. Benett dose make a daul ram version of there standard tab, called the sport tab, this will look cool antd not break the bank.

SO-SLO

boxy
08-05-2003, 09:23 AM
ยง 44. Noise levels on pleasure vessels.
1. The provisions of this section shall apply to the navigable waters of the state including all tidewaters bordering on and lying within the boundaries of Nassau and Suffolk counties.
(a) No person shall operate or give permission for the operation of any pleasure vessel in or upon the waters of this state in such a manner as to exceed a noise level of 90dB(A) when subjected to a stationary sound level test as prescribed by SAE J2005.
(b) No person shall operate a pleasure vessel on the waters of this state in such a manner as to exceed a noise level of 75dB(A) measured as specified in SAE J1970. Provided, that such measurement shall not preclude a stationary sound level test as prescribed by SAE J2005.

3. Sale or manufacture. No person shall manufacture or offer for sale any pleasure vessel or engine for use in a pleasure vessel for use on the waters of this state if such vessel or engine, at the time of manufacture or sale, cannot be operated in such a manner so as to comply with the sound level requirements provided in this section.
4. No person shall operate or give permission for the operation of any pleasure vessel in or upon the waters of this state that is equipped with an altered muffler or a muffler cutout, bypass or otherwise reduce or eliminate the effectiveness of any muffler or muffler system installed in accordance with this section.
5. No person shall remove, alter or otherwise modify in any way a muffler or muffler system in a manner which will prevent it from being operated in accordance with this section.
In Ontario, quick and quiet, and silent choice are allowed, as our noise regulations are only enforced up to 5 miles offshore, in the 1000 Islands in New York State, they read the above regulations to mean that a "switchable" exhaust system is illegal.

RickR
08-05-2003, 09:36 AM
For spirited eek! offshore boating the stock 12x9" single actuator tabs are inadequate.
K-Planes are the best tab, but I am satisfied with an upgrade to Sport 12x12 twin acutator Trim Masters
http://www.donzi.net/photos/rryan07rollsaft.jpg