PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tires?

MOP
05-20-2003, 08:31 PM
What is the concensus on Carlisle D rated tires, I bought a 98 trailer last season that was only dunked 6 times I just wore the nipples off the tread. Planning on 1000 Island run, tires say 35psi I jacked them to 38psi but they still look a little squshy and do get fairly warm after 65 mile an hour run. Any thoughts?

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
05-20-2003, 08:43 PM
M.O.P., I had those on my 22ZX trailer and they always seemed warm at proper inflation, they also wore on the inside, but gave us no problem, and we put many miles on them.
They even replaced one for me based on a phone call about tread wear!

We run a much bigger tire now, and they are always cool too the touch, for what that is worth.
See ya up North. I will likely have a trailer story or two after the 1200 mile trip to get there.
Bryan

Air 22
05-20-2003, 08:56 PM
MOP..

After several tire changes from D.C. to Sarasota and Jacksonville, FL I can say that a good set of trailer tires is a must. wink just ask Dr. Dan and Bverd as these two wittnessed it all :D Doc sure does handle a jack well wink I would replace those tires if they are from 1998. on tire the wall is the production date(year) Dry rot from the inside out is very hard to detect unless you pull it off the rim. We ran at 70-80mph trying to stay w/ Doc as his boat will do 80 on the trailer :D :D
I'm running a set of goodyear tires but Carsile is a very popular brand made by Firestone. If your getting heat on the tire at 60mph check your bearings..probably need grease or need to be replaced. If they're going bad(bearings) they heat up after you greased them! Towing a two axel vs. single trailer also plays into it as obviously 4 tires displace the weight more evenly than 2. Carry 2 spares as this helps too! :)
Good Luck :D

MOP
05-20-2003, 09:13 PM
Hi thanks for the input, hubs are cool I cleaned and regreased them as soon as I got it, they were new looking. My guess at this point there is maybe 200 miles on the tires with no obvious checking, tires are not hot but real warm. Its a 3100lbs trailer under a 16 which is about 2500lbs. My old trailer a 2500lbs had 13's running 40psi and were half as warm.

Dr. Dan
05-20-2003, 09:27 PM
:p I resemble that remark AirHead! All the tires we run go up to 50 PSI, so I would be cautious of the wall strength on the lesser rated Tires. We tow a fair amount each season(15,000 to 20,000 miles) I just bought 2 New Spares due to dry rot on the Original Tires that I was using for spares...As a rule I do the following:
1.) Check Bearings & Grease accordingly...you can over grease!
2.) Confirm proper inflation, I record the Air Pressure before I move the Trailer. Than I add up to the difference to what it supposed to be, for each Tire...I don't have a home compressor so at the Gas Station I inflate to the proper inflation.
3.) Each Gas Stop I monitor Pressure and Bearing Heat and Grease.
4.) After 3 hours or more of solid driving...we take a break and give it a rest,normally during our meal and bath breaks....even though you can Tow through these breaks, I have found over the last 2 Seasons...that it keeps everyone fresh, and I have peace of mind knowing that the mechanicals are in order.
5.) Each Stop we check Tie Downs and all securing devices...
Travel with others when you can,Bertram Boy and Brad Verd are the Best....Air Boy will do if you want a work out :D ...Safe Season Folks...Doc

Air 22
05-20-2003, 09:37 PM
DOC...stop typing w/ your nose and double posting :D save some room for the rest of us will ya eek! fingers are for more than just flippin me off ya know... wink

MOP
05-21-2003, 07:42 AM
Alot of thanks to all you guys! I am going to pick up paint wheels with the best radials I can find and keep them just for trips and carry my Galv wheels as spairs. Ok more debate whos got the best radials????

Fish boy
05-21-2003, 08:05 AM
Good thread, guess I better check my trailer.

boldts
05-21-2003, 02:11 PM
I've got radial Goodyear Marathons on my dual axle. I like Doc, put quite a few miles on mine every year. If I'm vacationing near a lake, the boat goes with.

Last week before heading to Michigan, I checked the sidewall for the tire pressure cold. It said 50 psi. My tires all had about 35 psi in them. eek! I inflated them to 50 cold and took my time going to MI, stopping to check them every so often. At this pressure, every bump felt like a cliff. Seemed awfully hard to me.

When I bought a spare and rim last year for the trailer, they mounted a Carlile radial on the rim. Haven't had to use it yet, but in a past thread, many here like this tire better than the Marathons.

MOP
05-21-2003, 03:02 PM
The stamped tire pressure/load rating thing has alway bugged me. I did alot of 4X4 woods stuff, most of the tires whether bias or radial had high pressure listings if I ran the listed pressures it they rode like buck boards and wore out the center of the tires. On one hot jeep I had I found for the road it did best 28 front and 26 back. Anyway it seems trailer tires for some reason don't act the same. Oh well will upgrade before trip.

Greg Maier
05-27-2003, 05:53 PM
I have a trailer specialty store near me. Went there to talk trailer tires with the guy since my trailer has the original tires on it. It came with 78-13 bias ply C load rated tires. The guy at the trailer store recommended putting on 205/75/14's C load rated. I took his recommendation and put on 205/75/14 Carlisle Radials. The Carlisles are significantly beefier than the stocK tires. I had to raise and widen the fenders a bit to fit them. What a huge ride improvement. It felt like I was pulling a differenct trailer. The trailer had absolutely no sway, even when big trucks went flying by.

fasttrucker
05-27-2003, 07:23 PM
Iam still thinking about selling my 28ft tri-axle eagle trailer that ive never used.Nice custom wheels.I would take $3000.Its a 1999.My life trucking makes me want to stay home on my off-duty time.Ill wind up selling then,ill get a day job and want to buy a trailer,then travel again but....

fasttrucker
05-27-2003, 07:24 PM
Iam still thinking about selling my 28ft tri-axle eagle trailer that ive never used.Nice custom wheels.I would take $3000.Its a 1999.My life trucking makes me want to stay home on my off-duty time.Ill wind up selling then,ill get a day job and want to buy a trailer,then travel again but....