PDA

View Full Version : OK, so you found a boat out of state

newbie-n-TX
05-20-2003, 07:41 PM
now what? Do you hunt down a surveyor through the yellow pages and trust your decision. Or, take time off and fly/drive to where the boat is to watch.

newbie question I know. Not that I've found one, just getting some of the ducks in the row.

Thanks!

BUIZILLA
05-20-2003, 07:46 PM
Tell MAGOO where it is, give him some fun tickets...

and don't worry about it.

J

Greg Maier
05-20-2003, 07:56 PM
Go here

Surveyor Reviews (http://www.yachts-byowner.com/reviews/index.htm)

This is a link to a page with nationwide Surveyor Reviews. You can hopefully find a surveyor near you on this page.

MOP
05-20-2003, 08:12 PM
If you do decide not to got I may be able to help, I've been a yacht broker since 86 and have some very good contacts in many states. Drop me a note and I'll get hold of a local in that area that can get you someone good. I may even know one myself, have sold boats up & down the east coast and a few on the Great lakes.

Dredgeking
05-20-2003, 09:52 PM
i used a surveyor for my fountain and he was worthless. my 5 year old could have told me more about the boat. if you get lucky there will be a knowledgable board member in the area who can help you. the knowledge here is incredible.

Cuda
05-20-2003, 09:59 PM
You should see if there is a board member nearby that could take a look to see if it is worth your trip, or a surveyor fee to begin with. I've done it for some of our board members. There are very few things I'd rather do than to have an excuse to go look at a boat! :D

oldLenny
05-20-2003, 10:28 PM
Ask nice and have someone HERE go look at it. I don't think there is ONE dummy in this group ANYWHERE...Relax and pursue it...I would trust the opinion of anyone here as their stuff is far nicer than anything of mine...a lot of DONZI education resides here. They know what to look for and can amass the costs better than new-comers. (I am a new-comer) :D

MOP
05-20-2003, 10:37 PM
Thats a good idea, most anywhere there is a member, if he does'nt feel comfortable he probably knows someone who can look it over for you. You still depending more on the boat value and the company may still need a survey.

MR MAGOO
05-21-2003, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the compliment Buizilla!

How`s the Minx LE treating you?

Feel free to give me a call at 207-232-9273

Kurt.

harbormaster
05-21-2003, 06:52 AM
Newbie, where in Texas are you?

If it is a 90s vintage, You probably do not need a surveyor. You will need only a good mechanic.

newbie-n-TX
05-21-2003, 07:39 AM
Harbormaster, I'm in Houston. I'd like to find a mid 90s or newer 22 classic. So, who's a good mechanic?

Thanks!

oldLenny
05-21-2003, 08:49 AM
Where is the boat from?,...going to be from...?

krakmeup
05-21-2003, 10:20 AM
Newbie, since you are in Houston you need to get with us, send me separate email if you want to join us this Memorial Day - you can look at and ride in several Donzi's

Keith

krakmeup
05-21-2003, 10:22 AM
PS. I bought mine in Minnesota a few months ago, and JimG went to Atlanta for his.

newbie-n-TX
05-21-2003, 12:42 PM
Lenny, I'm in the final stages of discussion with my financial advisor(wife). When we can reach an agreement on the amount, the search will begin. In the mean time, I'm trying to absorb as much info as I can.

krakmeup, I'd like to take you up on your kind offer but this weekend isn't good. But, sometime I'd like to hear your experience of purchasing your boat from MN.

Thanks!

harbormaster
05-22-2003, 08:01 AM
Hey newbie Call me at ma office. 281-336-3458

Donzigo
05-22-2003, 08:21 AM
If it's in central Florida, Cuda &/or I can help you out. South Florida would defintely mean MadPoodle would be in on the action, no better advisor anywhere.....and there are others, everywhere.

Cuda's got it right.......just give me a reason to look at a boat.........twist my arm, please.

Donzigo
05-22-2003, 08:21 AM
If it's in central Florida, Cuda &/or I can help you out. South Florida would defintely mean MadPoodle would be in on the action, no better advisor anywhere.....and there are others, everywhere.

Cuda's got it right.......just give me a reason to look at a boat.........twist my arm, please.

Team Jefe
05-29-2003, 03:30 PM
Like a Cry in the night, Jefe calls out from the great jungles of the West Indies :p

Howdy folks - I've been offline for about two weeks now. Stories to follow in the next few days. Still In Trinidad, living Jimmy Buffet's life (I wish).

Anyway, back on topic, Newbie, I went to Florida for the Revenge. Made the trip myself, twice, and sealed the deal. I had an extensive service record and motor warranty (1998 30ZF)so I did not do a survey. If its fairly close go yourself, but getting a board member involved is a great idea. I wish I had done that before I purchased. I provides a lot of assurance in your purchase.

From the Island of the Spices, I got to go meet the Mango Man.

JEFE