PDA

View Full Version : Have you noticed...

Tony
05-19-2003, 09:05 PM
...the killer pics of Donzi's at speed taken by Brad Lyon? They are in the Events section under the Lake St. Clair thread.

Tell us more, Brad, about your technique...camera type? shutter priority? are you still w/ them running past you? what's your secret?

Scott B.,
Jamie, Ranman, and Sam are not divulging their spring "shake-down" specifics or numbers, despite each of them having just completed some major modifications. How did they look to you?

Brad Lyon
05-19-2003, 09:28 PM
Tony,

First off I am shooting with a Nikon D100 digital camera. Your right, shutter priority and I am in another boat. First I was in Scott Boldt's boat then I was in a marine photographers dream boat. Bill's El Pescador has a padded bow and aft deck that you can lay down on and really steady yourself. It also helps that Bills boat is balls out fast. What a blast I had. I would love to do it again real soon, we missed you Tony, by your last post I thought you were going to be there.

Brad

http://www.donzi.net/photos/nikon_d100.gif

Here is a link to the complete spec's of the Nikon D100 (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_d100.asp) camera.

Ranman
05-19-2003, 09:31 PM
Tony, We had a great day on the lake. You will surely have to come sometime. You won't be disappointed. I don't know what kind of camera
Brad had, but I can tell you just bu looking at it, that it's a serious piece of equipment. :D

For the shakedown data on my Classic, all did not go without incident, but she's pretty well shook down now. I had a water leak early in the day that Jamie so expertly spotted as a couple of loose hose clamps on the gooseneck. After a quick tightening we were good.

I've managed to pic up about 300 RPM's after my tune-up. Last year I was turning 4900-5000 and now am turning 5200-5300. I can't really explain where they came from except for maybe the new K&N flame arrestor that replaced the restrictive looking factory original. I broke 70MPH several times on the GPS during the day. :D :D :D . I'm thinking that if I get those dings out of my Mirage Plus by going with a Turbo, there micgt be another mph or two left in her, oh and don't let me find an IMCO shortie lower :D .

Here's the stats:
- 1997 18 Classic 350MAG MPI Gen+
- Bravo One
- 25P labbed Mirage Plus with some dings on her leading edges.
- Avg GPS speed of 70.4 MPH @ 5300RPM's on the VDO. I was able to break 70 on GPS three seperate times with 71 being the highest.

Tony
05-19-2003, 10:14 PM
Brad,
The El Pescador sounds like an awesome shooting platform. How many mega-pixels is your Nikon capable of? What size/resolution shot do you use, usually? The pic of Rootsy's 16 from the stern, with the glistening water, reminds me of this one you took from the bridge at AOTH 2.

Randy, I'll bet your grin is about half your boat's beam when you're going 70mph!!!

Jamie & Sam...any performance data to report? Or are you guys still tweaking, aiming to be dialed in by AOTH 3?

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tsporer6974.jpg

Rootsy
05-19-2003, 10:23 PM
you missed my original shakedown post Tony?

thus far...

27 hydromotive Quad IV OT slapped on the Alpha SS mated to Root Powered 350...

5400 rpm 75.6 mph GPS...

25 cleaver same setup spinning 6K right out of the box - 75.8 mph GPS

26 quad IV OT - havn't rung it out yet.. 5200 saw 73.3 mph GPS on st. clair saturday... that photo of me running was that 73 mph run as i went past the pescador and brad was snapping photos...

i have in my possession a 24 quad IV to give a whirl sometime this week :)

more horses than i know what to freakin do with at this moment...

Jamie...

boldts
05-19-2003, 10:54 PM
Tony, sorry we didn't get to see you on Saturday. I was looking forward to seeing you again. St.Clair has become one of my favorite lakes to run on. Lots of room and quite a few Donzis up there on the lake. Kind of makes for a long day though with 8 hours round trip of drive time for me, but seeing everyone and running with other Donzi owners is worth the trip.

Didn't do much to mine over the winter. I added a Hydromotive nose cone to my Bravo 1 which netted an additional 1.1 MPH bringing my fastest run on GPS so far up to 69.8 MPH. The nose cone also added 300 more RPMs to my full throttle due to being able to run the drive trimmed out more. I plan to try another inch of pitch at AOTH III to see if I can get her over that magical 70 MPH mark. :)

BERTRAM BOY
05-20-2003, 06:01 AM
Rootsy and Ranman,
What's the deal? I send you Michigan guys a prop, and no one can figure out how to use it!!!!!!!!!
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

Rootsy
05-20-2003, 07:53 AM
well ya gotta look who you're talking about Cliff... :p you think we midwesterners are smart or sumptin? we can barely tie our own shoes let alone remember righty tighty lefty loosy...

but ya know.. possession IS 9/10ths of the law wink

Root - propnapper...