PDA

View Full Version : My sized project...

Tony
05-19-2003, 08:56 PM
Here is a look at the plumbing system I recently installed. The last t-stat-less "bypass" system was pretty cobbled up, so now it is more similar to OEM. Thanks to Craig Bazaan at Offshore Upgrades in Hudsonville, MI, for the major help.

So, while I'm at it, I'm installing a high engine temp/low oil pressure alarm. My question is, does it matter at all what inlet I use for the instrument gauge sensor and the alarm sensor? One is about 3/4" higher than the other, as you can see in the pics.

BTW, I am soooo bummed I missed the Lake St. Clair gig, and am soooo hoping you guys do it again in the near future.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tsporer03331.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tsporer03322.jpg

Rootsy
05-19-2003, 09:13 PM
hmmm and i thought I HAD NO ROOM... you'll never hear me bitch again!

Tony
05-19-2003, 09:18 PM
I definitely have no room! Worse, my bilge pump sometimes get knocked off its base,(gee...I wonder how?) and it takes a real contortionist to reach under there and remount it with a half-twist kind of thing. Bad move not looking at it closer when the engine was last out.

Ranman
05-20-2003, 08:05 AM
Don't know about your tech question Tony, but rest assured, we'll be getting together again very soon.

mphatc
05-20-2003, 09:05 PM
Tony,

Yes it matters! The tip of the temperaure sensor must be in the flow stream to measure the coolant temperature accurately.

Water / Coolant temp will rise faster than the mass of the intake manifold and if the tip of the sensor is surrounded by a small volume of water that is not in the circualtion stream it may take a signifigant amount of time to heat up.

I found this out this past weekend when I first splashed the Cosican. I just completed changing the intake manifold to an Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap 302 ....#7521* http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/man_ford_289.html

With the stock coolant sensor it never registered any water temp over 100 degrees all day! It's present mounting location is similar to your arrangement. I confirmed engine temp with my Raytek infra red . . 160 -180 degrees depending on location of measurement.

Mario L.

Tony
05-20-2003, 10:03 PM
Mario...thanks for the reply. My last sensor was 1/4" installed in a 3/8" bushing, so that the bottom of the sensor was flush with the bushing and not in any flow! So my new one is straight into the lower tapping, with the alarm sensor in the higher one.

Now, another question...is a sending unit a sending unit? The guy helping me says OMC part # 171960 is what I need, but then after I buy it it turns out to have a 1/2" threads. Probably didn't figure that the Edelbrock manifold is not OEM.

So my auto parts guy and I browse his books and find a single post, 3/8" sending unit for early model Ford 302's. It is CarQuest part # TS58.

Are ohms involved with these things sending an accurate temperature? My guage is labeled a Kysor/Medallion, but there are no specs on the back of it. I know the temp range because we used a gun on it, should I go with this sending unit and see what it reads? This can't do any harm, right?