PDA

View Full Version : Stiff Alpha SS

jr
08-04-2003, 10:27 AM
One of my SS's are shifting hard (yes I have twins). This spring it was stiff, and it turned out to be the bronze "shift lever" on the outdrive was stiff inside the nylon bushing.

I cleaned things up and it shifted like a dream, well its stiff again. Figures.

The question is, does this bushing seal out any water in the lower unit. I would like to pull it out and increase the inside diameter a smidge to get it freed up. Any problems with this?

By the way, Woodsy, if you read this. I found a second prop to match the one I bought from you. The boat went from 59.6 at 4500 rpms with the old hydromotives, to 66.8 with the mirages'. Not bad for a full tank, 6500 lbs, and bottom paint. Thanks again.

olredalert
08-04-2003, 04:34 PM
Jeff,

-------What model DONZI may I ask?Just curious!Try to make it to Browns on Harsens,middle channel,12 noon this Saturday for some DONZI fun!..........Bill S

jr
08-05-2003, 05:39 AM
Bill, its actually a Nova II. Thanks for the invite. But my brother and I have to build a shed for my dad on Saturday. I wish it were a Donzi, but the cash just wasn't availible, but is it ever.

This is the best spot I've found for Alpha SS advice. I've run into a few techs that don't know what they are.

Rootsy
08-05-2003, 08:52 AM
jr,

are you referring to the splined shaft in the front of the drive thaat the shift arm slides over or are you referring to the upper shift shaft which resides in the transom assy bellhousing? either way, the bushing acts as a bearing surface and guide... there are seals to keep water out in both places...

basically the SS is just like an alpha but it is 3 inches shorter... uses a few different and unique components but the service procedures are the same...

Root - SS Sponge...

jr
08-05-2003, 09:35 AM
Rootsy, yeah is the lower. The upper is fine. Thinking about it I'll probably just replace the bushing. I forgot my Plastics 101 and that nylon loves to absorb water. I'll have it apart anyway so why screw around with enlarging the bushing.