PDA

View Full Version : Removing Steering Wheel (Puller)?

RICPAZ
05-19-2003, 09:38 AM
Hey all,

I have a '99 22ZX. I just uncovered my boat last weekend and noticed that the power steering fluid (at the helm) had leaked out from the steering wheel hub onto the floor of the cockpit. I guess there is an o-ring (actually square) that is inside the steering wheel helm assy. that provides the seal. I got a new o-ring and I want to replace the worn-out one. In order to get access to it I must remove the steering wheel first. I took off the wheel with no problem and then also removed the nut underneath it that holds the steering wheel hub to the steering wheel shaft that protrudes through the dash. My problem is removing the black steering wheel hub that is held on very tightly to that shaft. The hub is a casting made out of aluminum I think. I have a wheel puller that I may use but was afraid of it putting to much pressure on the hub and cracking it. Anyway, should I use a puller to get it off? Does it require a lot of pressure to "pop it off"??? Is there an easier way to remove it? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich

MOP
05-20-2003, 08:01 AM
Another trick you might want to try that I use before I resort to the puller. I break the nut loose, put another matching nut on top and lock them together with the tip of the shaft just below the first thread. I have a hunk of bronze prop shaft that I have dished out the end slightly on the grinder so it contacts the nut on the outer edge. I turn facing aft, get my legs behind the wheel apply a lot of leg pressure and hit the doubled nuts using my punch and a 16oz hammer. This even on salt boat works 95% of the time. If I do resort to a puller I tape the jaws and when in place I put a hose clamp around the jaws real close to the wheel to keep it from slipping off and damaging the hub. I did and occasionally do work on some very expensive stuff with some very picky clients.

GEOO
05-20-2003, 11:55 AM
Rik,
I have a steering wheel puller. Call me if you need a hand. (203)258-5222 I'm in Milford once a week.

Fish boy
05-20-2003, 03:14 PM
I used a puller after unsuccessfully trying to yank it. In retrospect, I should have used some sort of penetrating oil to loosen the wheel since corosion made it that much tougher to move.

Also, I think there is a little thing that helps hold the wheel on the shaft that I did not notice until I went to put the wheel back on. Not sure if it is just to keep it from spinning freely or to hold it on the shaft but might want to check. It is sort of like half of a biscuit and fits tightly into a groove on the shaft itself. one in place, it protrudes above the surface of the shaft and fits into a groove on the wheel as well. It definately keeps the wheel from spinning but might also help hold it on (it has been a while and I can't remember for sure).

MOP
05-20-2003, 05:12 PM
Its called a Key Way it is just what you thouhgt, to stop it from rotating on the shaft.

Stix Magill
05-20-2003, 06:29 PM
Ric,
Madpoodle's method #2 worked well for me. Have someone pull on the wheel while you use a hammer and a piece of wood (will not mar) on the shaft. I was hesitant to try this, but it came off with one pop.

Scott Smith