PDA

View Full Version : I cannot start the darn thing: help

vomv
08-03-2003, 06:41 PM
Please help. I was cruising in reverse today and the boat just died. I tried to start the boat, heard a pop and could not turn the boat's engine over. When I turned the boat over is sounds like a vacuum cleaner. I checked the rotor and it is not spinning. Did water get into the engine when I was in reverse? I have no clue. Thanks for your help

john

Cuda
08-03-2003, 07:19 PM
Do you have through hull exhaust? Does it sound like the starter is "hitting"?

vomv
08-03-2003, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the respone. I do not have thru hull exhaust and it does not sound as if the starter is hitting at all. When I turn the key it sounds like I am turning on a vaccum cleaner

john

MOP
08-04-2003, 07:09 AM
The engine is turning but the rotor is not or nothing is moving? Did you pull the plugs and spin it to see if water comes out?

Cuda
08-04-2003, 07:20 AM
From the description of the sound, my guess is the starter bendix drive isn't working.

BUIZILLA
08-04-2003, 07:21 AM
I can hear Matty now.. WHY were you cruising in reverse?

In all seriousness, remove all the spark plugs and check for water FIRST. No water? Then see if it cranks with the plugs out. No crank? check starter for sheared bendix.

BTW, what engine are we dealing with?

J

MOP
08-04-2003, 07:36 AM
I second Jim, and you may have water in it and sheared the bendix when it came up hard on the water. When you pull the stater check the flywheel teeth I have seen the break off from hydro lock, one way or another get that motor to turn over I think it does have water in it.

mattyboy
08-04-2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Buizilla:

well that thought did cross my mind, but having had the shift linkage on my boat break I have cruised home in reverse a time or 2 :rolleyes:
so far be it from me to question anyone wink

in my highly technical opinion the little gear on the starter that pops out well is not popping out,
it just sittin there spinning. wink :D

Matty

Cuda
08-04-2003, 08:32 AM
mattyboy:
Originally posted by Buizilla:

in my highly technical opinion the little gear on the starter that pops out well is not popping out,
it just sittin there spinning. wink :D

Matty That would be the starter bendix drive.

mattyboy
08-04-2003, 09:15 AM
Cuda,
is that what's it called???? wink :D
that's way too technical for me eek! wink :D
or is it the gizzenta not hooking up with the doodad !
yeah what Cuda said wink :D

Matty

vomv
08-04-2003, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the responses. The engine, a 1988 350, does not turn at all. I will take off the plugs and see if it will turn then or if there is water there.

Would the boat die in the water if only the starter went bad or do you guys think there is a combination of things wrong with the engine?