PDA

View Full Version : 1989 ZF 33 question...

harbormaster
08-02-2003, 05:34 AM
I received the following question from one of our brethren. Anyone care to take a stab at this?

"On my 1989 ZF 33, there are 2 compartments, approx 40 inches long, one on each side of the console, towards the front of the console, about 10 inches wide, that are about 2 feet deep, and the bottom and sides are foam(not glass as the ones directly to the rear of these) and there is no drainage in either of these compartments and they are USUALLY, full of water. the deck lids are screwed down and they were caulked the several times that I have looked in them, they were full of water. My question is, is this by design? are these supposed to be for ballast or something of that nature? I looked for drain holes and could find none, and someone that was here "helping" me suggested that they were designed that way for center ballast as they are of equal size, located in the same area on each side of the gas tank, and they were both filled with water to the same heighth. it looks as though it came that way as the foam is identical to that in the sides and to the foam around the fuel tank and other spots. it does not look like a "weekend warrior" did it but I cannot grasp why a enclosed compartment on a boat would not have a way to empty water that had come in for some reason or another.
This may sound like a "weak" guestion to ask but I don't know what the deal is with the water and I would appreciate any help you can give me!"