PDA

View Full Version : Electrical trouble?... engine stops.

banfield
07-31-2003, 10:59 AM
Hi,
In my newly acquired '83 22' Classic (454/Bravo, carbureted), we went out last evening for a cruise to a watering hole. It was cruising along nicely, when the engine just stopped, almost as if I had shut the engine off.
I tried to start it quite a few times, it would pop off, rev to a couple thousand RPMs (depending on how I pumped the throttle on starting), then immediately die again. I poked around in the engine bay, being a bit flustered (it was my 3rd ride in this new boat), but not seeing anything obvious. I tried it again, and finally it caught and ran for about 20 seconds, then died again, as if I'd shut it off. Finally tried it again, and it started and stayed running for the 10 minutes it took to zip home (and a few more minutes loitering nearby to recharge the battery after the many start trys). The only strange behavior on the ride home was the gas gauge being very jittery, in spite of an almost calm seas... It hadn't jittered like that before in my (short) experience with this boat. Oil pressure, engine temperature, voltage were all good both before and after the stopping incident.

Any suggestions as to what to check first?

I'm guessing it's probably a simple loose connection, perhaps on the ignition switch? But I'm sure you guys can think of other possibilities that would generate this kind of fault.

Think of this as a way to welcome this newbie to the ranks of Donzi ownership... ;>

Don B.

RickR
07-31-2003, 12:12 PM
Sounds electrical. Check for voltage and ground to the coil and spark at the plugs.
Points sticking?

RedDog
07-31-2003, 12:19 PM
I just went through something similar with my 454 18 Classic - except didn't have the shut down problem while running. Everything else was like my problem. Turned out to be a bad ignition switch. This is easy to test - Get a jumper with alligator (or if in Florida - crocodile :D ) clips. Jumper the hot terminal to the ignition terminal. If it starts / runs correctly should just be able to replace the switch - 15 minutes - $15.00 (or so).

Remember to remove the clips when done testing - if fact you have to in order to stop the running engine.

PaulO
07-31-2003, 01:35 PM
Don,
Reddog is probably right. That is a brand new ignition switch but, I have had that problem with others. Try not letting the switch spring back completely from the start position to the run position when the engine fires up. If that makes a difference, the switch is definately the problem. Otherwise jump it as stated before.
PaulO

Dalelama
07-31-2003, 03:51 PM
Check to see if there's an oil pressure SWITCH, not the oil pressure SENDING unit... this will shut off the elec. fuel pump in a fuelie motor, and may be installed on a carb model... you'll pull hair trying to find that one.....