PDA

View Full Version : 270 help

Craig
07-31-2003, 06:32 AM
Phil (or Anyone),

Okay, finally resuming the "fixing my outdrive" project. Need to remove the primary shaft bearing from the bell housing. Have got to where (from the back of the boat - with drive removed) I have removed the small and large snap rings that you see just beyond the splines. Now what's the trick to getting the bearings out. I assume they get pressed, or actually driven in to install, but what tool or procedure do I use to get them out? Appreciate any help!

Oh, one more thing. Have been checking around for my drive yoke (that needs replace). Found a guy that had 3 for a 270. Drove 2 1/2 hours to get it and the spline end was a bigger diameter than mine, which of course meant it won't fit into my gear's female splines.

He thought I had to either have a 250 drive or what he called "a very early 270" drive. This will also effect the needed washer seal that goes on the drive yoke. Anybody know about varying diameters on these?

I still think I have a 270 drive. Of course the shift cover plate number is no help because Holman Moody hung their name plate on there, which is cool, but doesn't tell you your drive model. Also my serial number plate (PZ NR, etc.) is worn off. Tried cleaning and looked into etching reagents, but don't think it's gonna work. Figured I'd just resort to scouting for the part know all the diameter's etc. For the record, the OD on the spline shaft (at the point touching the yoke) is 2.3 cm. The bolt thread going into the end of the splines is 1/2" (threads 20) with a 3/8" allen head.

Hey, how come this stuff isn't metric??? Made in Sweden in the late 60's??? When I was in 3rd grade in 1970 they told me the rest of the world had been using metric fo years! Apparently not in Sweden. Somebody lied to me!

Again, appreciate any help.

olredalert
07-31-2003, 08:57 AM
Craig,

-----Cant help with most of the questions,but the metric part is pretty easy.Volvo outdrives were designed in the good ol USA by good ol americans,and primary sales numbers were to be derived here,hence American measurements.
-----The thought just occurred to me that Volvo may have had metric outdrives for units meant for European distribution.Even so,DONZIs were of course mostly all built in the sunny state of FLA(a few in Ohio?),so would have used US delivered units even if specific boats were delivered outside the USA..........Bill S

Craig
07-31-2003, 11:29 AM
Thanks,

Aw, c'mon; doesn't anyone know about the bearing removal? I'm thinking some kind of bearing puller.

I'm gonna start labeling my posts things like "FREE DONZI" so more folks will check them out!

BigGrizzly
07-31-2003, 10:50 PM
The bearing comes out easily its a big double row bearing and Napa Stockes them, there are two part numbers one is half the price of the other ,but can't find the paper I put the numbers ob

MOP
08-01-2003, 03:19 AM
Two finger slide hammer will pop the bearing out, you should borrow the driver for the re-install they cock real easy and screw up the housing.