PDA

View Full Version : Gas tanks and placement and hook/rocker

oldLenny
07-30-2003, 06:07 PM
:D :D :D
I have to wait till next week, when I can edit this text and use a copier and then scan it, but I have an article (new article July/03) on gas tank placement and the effects of that on spray rails, hook, rocker, roll, pitch, LCG, CG etc. It is long, (about 14 pages) but explains a LOT of the stuff that Chris (CDMA)is studying.

On a side note, hook creates SUCTION not like trim tabs rudder effect...get a spoon, balance the top of the "handle" between your fingers so it can swing, like a pendulum, and slowly bring the bottom side of the spoon (backside, convex part, the part that lays on the tablecloth) slowly towards a running stream of water from your kitchen tap. See how it is "sucked" into the stream and held there.? It is NOT pushed away from the water.

It is a really good article and discusses EVERY type of tank made, every material, thicknesses required, baffles, pros and cons, placement, mounting methods, the good, the bad and the ugly..

The long and short of it is Polyethylene is hands down the best. The "CFR" and "ABYC" have NEVER even had a failure during years of testing all tanks and if using "rubber" mounts on steel/ stainless/aluminum/polyethylene tanks they MUST be Neoprene...period... Polyethylene tanks expand 2% on filling and this has to be allowed for in the design of the enclosure beforehand...

Next week I'll post it. If anyone wants to read all the stuff. :D

I am NOT trying to stir anything up again...MOP,...sshhhhhhhh wink

MOP
07-30-2003, 10:11 PM
Really would enjoy reading it, having grown up in boat yards that were mostly all wood with glass just starting to come into favor. The wood boats would take on some odd shapes and develop odd characteristics underway. Lenny could you do me a favor and send the resin white paper you spoke of a little while back?

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
08-02-2003, 05:47 PM
Interesting demo, however I have one correction: The convex side of the spoon would be analagous to a rocker, not a hook as you stated. It works because the water moving across the rocker creates a low pressure zone, just as air moving across a wing creates a low pressure zone on its top surface.
Bernouli rocks!!!

FR :p

Ed Donnelly
08-02-2003, 10:56 PM
And a Bumblebee's wings are too small to support the weight of its body. Therefore Bumblebees can't fly...ED

Forrest
08-04-2003, 08:51 AM
Picking up two new 58-gallon aluminum custom-built fuel tanks this week from RDS in Perry, FL, for the Magnum. The old tanks didn't leak, but it was just a matter of time, since crevice corrosion was evident in a number of areas due to trapped water in the foam mounting.

Not to open up a can a worms, but now I will need to properly mount 'em so they don't corrode again and so they are fully supported to prevent any movement or metal fatigue.

I'll post progress with pictures so you guys can tell me what I'm doing wrong! :D

--------------------
Forrest - Re-reading all the fuel-tank mounting threads. eek!